Maine and Maritime Provinces (seeking travel advice) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Maine and Maritime Provinces (seeking travel advice)

Seeking any and all tips for travel from Texas to Maine and the Maritime Provinces with my 5.0, I've never travelled the coastal regions from Maine north.

Tentative target is Maine in mid-May 2022 and working north from there. Lobster / shellfish are not an interest (dietary incompatibility) but love other seafood. Other interests beyond great scenery include:
  • Maritime / boatbuilding / aviation / art museums and related
  • Architecture and cultural history
  • Walking and bicycling (not too strenuous)
  • Inland travel routes avoiding metropolitan areas from south of DC to north of Boston
I tend to enjoy setting a 'base camp' with side-trips sans-trailer from there. By the time of this trip my rig should be equipped for extended stays without hookups. Total trek duration is 'open', I'm retired and not in a rush. Staying in one pleasant place for a few days to a week just relaxing, walking, soaking in the scenery, and reading is great for me.

I'll sit back and let the thread grow for a while, thanks in advance for sharing your suggestions and experience (including perhaps pitfalls / things to avoid!)
Old 10-07-2021, 09:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
See food!!!

Hi: Centex... #1 on the list should be Acadia Nat. Pk. You could spend all your trip there and not see it all. I'm just glad I can do all see food!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
CHOWder Time at Thurstons.jpg   Done just right.jpg   P1020996.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Seeking any and all tips for travel from Texas to Maine and the Maritime Provinces with my 5.0, I've never travelled the coastal regions from Maine north.

Tentative target is Maine in mid-May 2022 and working north from there. Lobster / shellfish are not an interest (dietary incompatibility) but love other seafood. Other interests beyond great scenery include:
  • Maritime / boatbuilding / aviation / art museums and related
  • Architecture and cultural history
  • Walking and bicycling (not too strenuous)
  • Inland travel routes avoiding metropolitan areas from south of DC to north of Boston
I tend to enjoy setting a 'base camp' with side-trips sans-trailer from there. By the time of this trip my rig should be equipped for extended stays without hookups. Total trek duration is 'open', I'm retired and not in a rush. Staying in one pleasant place for a few days to a week just relaxing, walking, soaking in the scenery, and reading is great for me.

I'll sit back and let the thread grow for a while, thanks in advance for sharing your suggestions and experience (including perhaps pitfalls / things to avoid!)
Acadia NP is quite nice there are many things to see and do. The carriage roads are very nice to bike or walk. It will be cool in May so bring layers the good thing is that the crowds will be down that time of year. The Maritimes trip is on our short list....
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:48 AM   #4

Yes, Acadia is certainly on the bucket list.

BTW, if folks have any specific campground loop or site-number suggestions to try for at parks, etc, that'd be most welcome!
Old 10-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Yes, Acadia is certainly on the bucket list.

BTW, if folks have any specific campground loop or site-number suggestions to try for at parks, etc, that'd be most welcome!
When we were at Acadia in August a few years ago the main NP campground closer to Bar Harbor was crowded and tight...it was worth it since it was in the middle of everything...we looked at the other NP campground to the south and it looked like there was more space and privacy to the sites but further from the hiking, biking etc....You may have more room around you in May though.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
For what it is worth, here is the journal from a 2013 trip to Nova Scotia.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:00 PM   #7
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Here are some high points for travelling in Nova Scotia. but certainly not limited to these locations. Lots to see between the ferry landing at Yarmouth (from Bar Harbour Maine) Sydney Cape Breton (not running this year due to Covid).

Halifax:
1. Citadel Hill overlooks the lower city & has within its walls, military museum & artifacts. Guarded the city from the French, again through 2 world wars.
2. Maritime Museum of the Atlantic has sea faring artifacts including items from the Titanic.
3. HMCS Sackville is a WW2 Corvette tied up & open to tourists.
4. Various art & historical museums in the greater Halifax region.

Cape Breton Island:
5. Cabot Trail takes you around the island with beautiful views & great people. Did it on my motorcycle some 30 years ago. Go clockwise & you won't be risking the 5.0 over cliff faces like Lucille & Desi experienced in their Long Long Trailer movie.
6. Fortress Louisbourg, a French fort built in the 1700s, was the largest (maybe still is) restoration project in Canada when it commenced in the late 1960s. Work on your Francais since you may be challenged as an English spy at the gate.
7. Cape Breton Highlands National Park has camping facilities & is central enough to travel the island quite readily.

Prince Edward Island
8. Travel by ferry from Pictou NS to PEI & into Charlottetown, birth place of Canada's confederation.
9. PEI National Park is a busy destination with camping facilities, situated along the northeast coast, approx 30 minutes from Charlottetown. Beautiful red sand beaches in Cavendish & Brackley.
10. Ann of Green Gables is where Lucy Maude Montgomery's "Ann" lived & has shared her story around the globe. Located at Cavendish & open to tourists
11. Confederation Bridge was completed in 1994 & crosses the straight between PEI & New Brunswick & is approx 12kms/7miles in length. Tolls when leaving the island.

THERE's lots more to see, having lived/worked in PEI for 8 years, & travelled to & with family throughout NB & NS. Above locations are just a short list of recommendations.

The only province/territory I haven't been to in Canada is Newfoundland...which is on our bucket list. As you're aware, Covid will influence your experiences from travel, access, & restrictions.

Safe travels.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:26 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
WE stayed here one summer, really nice https://www.hardingspointcampground.com/rates.htm
it was our first ferry ride....
Old 10-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While I am certainly not an expert in the region, I have been to the Atlantic provinces twice with an RV.

Two points of interest not already mentioned:
  • Lunenburg NS is the base of the Bluenose II, a replica of the race-winning 1921 fishing schooner. They have a maritime museum (Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic) which we thought was worth the visit, and if you check the Bluenose II schedule and visit when it's in port, you can take a cruise on it... but book in advance, since you may not be as lucky as we were (to get the last two tickets for the next day). The sailing was very enjoyable, and the crew were all great to talk with (playing tour guide is part of their jobs). The local board of trade has a campground on top of Blockhouse Hill which was decent and a reasonable walk (for most people) or very short drive from the waterfront.
  • Anywhere around the Bay of Fundy (which separates New Brunswick and Nova Scotia) the tides are exceptionally high. It's interesting to visit a site such as Hopewell Rocks Provincial Park (in New Brunswick).
If visiting Prince Edward Island, I suggest taking the ferry one way and the bridge the other, for variety. The ferry is expensive for RVs, but since fares are only charged on the trip leaving the island, it is cheaper to take the ferry to PEI and the bridge back, rather than the other way around. On PEI we tried following the roads right around the coastline from the ferry, but they were just too rough to be comfortable in our motorhome - it probably makes sense to stick to the major roads except when going out to specific beaches, lighthouses, and communities... and there are lots of beaches, lighthouses, and interesting little places with good food. A "major road" in PEI is just a two-lane highway. Charlottetown is the "big city" of PEI, with the art gallery.

Provincial parks tend to be more affordable than commercial campgrounds, but typically have only electrical service (which apparently would be suitable).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
5. Cabot Trail takes you around the island with beautiful views & great people. Did it on my motorcycle some 30 years ago. Go clockwise & you won't be risking the 5.0 over cliff faces like Lucille & Desi experienced in their Long Long Trailer movie.
Sure, but we drove a 37-foot motor counterclockwise and I didn't have any issues with the roads... but there was no extra room to either the shoulder or the centre line in some places. While much of the road is slow (due to both grades and turns) and requires paying attention, it isn't difficult.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
I know you will get lots of suggestions, and I've already seen several good ones including Vermile's journal which is definitely worth going through. It is a beautiful area.

Because we live a "short" 15hour drive away, we often took the kids to the East Coast for a week or two, usually in late August when the weather seemed to be good, and the crowds down a bit. Since they've flown, we have continued week-long trips to that area every year or so.

Some highlights for me, based on your initial thoughts:
- The Skyline hiking trail in Cape Breton Park. An easy walk (I walk with canes and had no trouble) with a most spectacular, surprising view at the end.
- The Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck NS. Bell's experiments with flight took place there.
- Fort Louisburg
- Fundy national park and Hopewell Rocks to see the tides
- Red Point Provincial Park in Price Edward Island. You will be a bit out of the crowds who focus on the north shore but the singing sands and views are wonderful.
- The Cavendish area is pretty touristy, but try to drive the secondary roads (without the trailer) to see the dark red roads and dirt, the dark green potato plants all contrasted against the blue, blue sky. Breathtaking.
- Are you up for a play? Anne of Green Cables is put on yearly in Charlottetowne, NS which is a small city worth exploring on foot. Not sure whether the play will have started in June, but it is a good bit of fluff with good songs.
- We always stopped at the Ganong chocolate factory in St Stephen NB just across from Calais ME.
- Sackville NB is a small university town with interesting historic walking areas, and a easily-accessed bird sanctuary we try to walk around each time we go.
- Fossils? There's a good fossil interpretive centre in Joggin's NS
- We've been to Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove NS once, decades ago, and I remember them as being really nice if a bit touristy. The memorial to Swiss Air Flight 111 is near Peggy's Cove and I hear it is very moving.

It's more of an investment in time and $$, but Newfoundland is something you might seriously consider. It takes a long time to drive anywhere, but St John's is the prettiest Maritime city (IMO) and whale and iceberg watching (I think June is the peak time) are something you can't do elsewhere easily. And even if those are gone, the area around Twillingate is picturesque. I haven't been to Gros Morne area but it is also on my bucket list.

My $0.02Cdn. PM me if I can add anything to your research.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
If you're going to be in New England around mid May you may want to consider the Spring Fling fiberglass rally held at the Chocorua Camping Village KOA. It will be held on May 12-15, 2022.
You would be near the White Mountain National Forest. North Conway and Mount Washington would be easy day trips from the KOA.

We're planning to attend the rally in 2022 then possibly go on to Acadia National Park from there.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Although we’re new to the northeast we had a very pleasant June camping trip to Acadia NP and also Moosehead Lake near Greenville, northwestern Maine. Pristine beauty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3058.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	58908
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Food

I'll be brief here:

Noteworthy food I've had
PEI
After a mandatory lunch at the Blue Mussel in North Rustico, pick up your dinner at the local fish store on the wharf. This was and is our tradition as long as we've been going to PEI

Island Stone Pub, Kensington PEI. Try the dark and stormy night cocktail. Mmmmm. Food is very good.

Nova Scotia
Rusty Anchor Restaurant, Cape Breton NS. Very good unpretentious food in unpretentious surroundings.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #15

We found that the effective way to find good food was just to get food... anywhere we tried was good. Kind of like finding helpful and friendly people... just find people.

For example, we found two restaurants located adjacent to small provincial parks which had excellent seafood (shellfish in our case, although that's not all they had). For instance, we stayed at Cabot Beach Provincial Park, asked the park gate attendant if there was a good seafood restaurant nearby, were pointed just outside the park gates to the Malpeque Oyster Barn, and had an excellent dinner while looking out the window at the fishing boats in the harbour and the cove where the mussels that we were eating grew. Both the park and the restaurant appear to be currently temporarily closed, but presumably this trip won't proceed unless everything is able to open back up.

I suppose a caveat about food would be for donairs. These variations of the Greek gyro are supposed to have originated in Halifax, but we found the sauce of the Halifax version to be too sweet, and preferred Alberta donairs.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Our Maine Experiences

We camp in Maine fairly often - just got back 2 weeks ago. We live in Bristol, RI on Narragansett Bay, but its always a treat in the summer to go camping in Maine. Especially now that our son's family now live in ME. A few of our favorite campgrounds, south to north:

1. Wolf's Neck Oceanfront Camping, Freeport (home of LL Bean.) About 30 min. north of Portland. Camping at a private, non-profit organic demonstration farm. A good spot for exploring Portland and Casco Bay region. https://www.freeportcamping.com/

2. Camden Hills State Park. About 1 mile north of Camden on Rt. 1. Camden is the quintessential coastal Maine town, home of the Penobscot Bay windjammer fleet. A little touristy, but well worth a visit and a good base for exploring the Penobscot Bay region. Camden Hills State Park - Camden Maine Sightseeing Attractions

3. We've been camping at Arcadia NP for close to 50 years. The NP campgrounds on Mount Desert Island - Blackwoods (close to Bar Harbor) and Seawall (near Southwest Harbor) are older campgrounds designed for tent camping. They have smaller, somewhat crowded sites with older limited facilities, but they are closest to all the NP attractions. For the last 5 years we camp at Schoodic Woods Campground at the Schoodic Peninsular, part of the NP across Frenchman's Bay from Bar Harbor. It's a much quieter area. It's about an hour drive from Bar Harbor or about the same for a ferry (lobster boat) ride from Winter Harbor (a nice small fishing town). The campground was established in 2015 and is the nicest NP campground I've seen. https://thedyrt.com/camping/maine/sc...ods-campground
If you cycle, the carriage roads are spectacular. Don't miss popovers and jam at Jordan Pond House.

This is usually as far north as we camp in ME. However we have vacationed in Atlantic Canada and all the recommendations by Ops and camp4528 are spot on.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210927_1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	58920
Old 10-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Gros Morne in NL is beautiful. We camped outside the park and did lots of day trips. Would highly recommend the Gros Morne Theatre Festival. We saw a wonderful play in Cow Head, very near the park. The plays change but I believe that there are typically both plays and other events. We also saw icebergs along the coast. Worth investigating. A note on NL—things don’t seem to open up until July.
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #18

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, all are fantastic.

I now realize I've made a mistake in nomenclature, I should have said "Maine and Atlantic Provinces" because yes, while in the neighborhood I would like to venture north to NL (via ferry from NS).

Please, keep them coming, though I know one can't see and do everything, it's great to have many choices for both planning and for possibilities when serendipity happens during a flexible trip.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape - 2023 JGC-L Summit
Quote:

We made a similar journey in June several years ago and had a great time, it was one of our better trips. Like you, we enjoy exploring the area we are in by using our Escape as a base. Places that stood out for us were Schoodic Woods Campground (agree with Bristol 5.0, a great spot), Chignecto Campground in Fundy National Park, Cheticamp Campground in Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Cavendish Campground in PEI National Park, and Des Rosiers Campground in Forillon National Park (not open until late June?).
We really enjoyed our time on Prince Edward Island; great scenery, great people, and lots to see. Many of the "tourist attractions" there don't open until July and that was just fine with us as we missed the crowds.
Here's a link that shows photos of our journey as well as in interactive map of our Escape #12 route and stopping places. https://www.corinthrose.com/Gallerie...vels/Escape-12
DonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:14 PM   #20

If you're a military veteran, you might want to check out the S*M*A*R*T caravans. I met some people on one of these trips a few years ago - in the campground in Lunenburg - and they were enjoying the leisurely pace. The 2022 trip takes two months to go through the Maritimes, but I recall them being on an 89-day trip, including Newfoundland. Perhaps just copy their itinerary...