major sightseeing places - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
major sightseeing places

Trying to plans some trips. I signed up for RV Trip Wizard today. Trying to work through a few issues.

I like the circle radius of miles to travel in one day.

But I'm not happy with the Points of Interest selection. It's great to find specific needs like... bakeries, libraries, etc.

But I'm wanting a bigger point of interest like historical sights, prominent landmarks, major points of interest. Things I would drive out of my way to see and want to include in any trip that direction. So far, I'm not seeing that they offer that.

Can anyone recommend something to find those type sightseeing places?

Thanks for your help!
Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I use the internet, no apps or specific web site. You can ask here or over on rv.net too, in the appropriate sub forums.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Search Chamber of Commerce or Tourist Bureau for the area you are interested in.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I determine what I’d like to key on for an upcoming trip based on my interests and the known features of any certain region. Then I use the internet to research features by “thinking outside of the box”. If I want specific information I often call the local park offices and talk to a biologist, forester, naturalist or people leave the office and get out into the field. I am also a brochure collector so I send for information if it’s offered on a website. Combined with a loose bucket list, research on an area where I’m going to be for a few days. Asking the camp host about attractions, places to eat or shop, or other local history can get some good info too. It would be easier if I didn’t have such a hard time talking to strangers.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-05-2020, 07:17 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When we plan a trip we.......just ask Iowa Dave.......
Old 05-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Google Maps - a bigger screen works better, not your phone. A tablet at least. Zoom in so you can get the big picture. But not so far in that you are seeing gas stations and hair salons. Look at routes you might take. There will be a limited number. See if anything catches your eye, a forest, natural area, park, lake, river. The idea is to see what natural resources are showing up or attractions that might interest you. Google Maps will usually show major points of interest without zooming in.

At this point it might be useful to turn on the topographic features of Google Maps. This will give you an idea of valleys, hills, rivers, lakes etc and may show some interesting feature. Be sure to turn it off.

From this "big", but really not that big, picture see what areas interest you. Now look for a route that will get you to those features you may like. Once you have an idea it is time to zoom in and see the commercial and government locations along the route. Here you can use the search feature in Google Maps and try typing library, grocery, camping or similar key words to search the local area for possibilities.

It is important to be flexible, what may look like an attractive spot to visit would be better if it is researched. Here Trip Advisor can give you an idea, if it does not show up there it may not be worth a visit. See what others say.

Since I frequently have an idea of where I am going I will do some of this research before leaving home. If you do the key is to make some notes so you will remember once on the road. If you do not like technology or do not have it you need to resort to AAA, the Chamber of Commerce, state tourism guides or word of mouth.

If this all fails or you do not feel like it is worth your effort, call Iowa Dave. Chances are he has been there.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:09 PM   #7

Stops along the way

If you are on I 90 gong through Montana. A must stop is the bakery at Three Forks where montana 287 goes north to Helena. The establishment is called Wheat Montana. When you are there I suggest you purchase a few bags of pancake flour mix, about 4 cranberry muffins, a couple loaves of bread, cinnamon roll for tomorrow morning, a couple macaroons and a couple deli sandwiches for lunch. If you know me you know
that moths fly out of my wallet at times but at Wheat Montana I make it rain. You can eat out on the patio with your dog at your feet . And when the lady brings your sandwich, chips and drink out she’ll get a bowl of water for your dog too. I stop going out and coming back. They are a very large wheat growing operation. You can buy bulk flower too. Plenty of parking and a gasoline stop too. We have our favorite stops all over the country gleaned from many years of travel. Delphos Ohio , the Delphos Creamery has Ice Cream not be believed. And Toms Nuts and Ice cream in Zanesville Ohio is not to be missed either. But right now we’re cooking for ourselves and with a hundred years plus experience like many of you our cooking ain’t too bad either. And Joe Tess’s place in South Omaha, great carp sandwich. And that little cafe in Walden Colorado run by a young Asian couple, get the mushroom and Swiss burger and listen to ancient real cowboys discuss the world today.
Iowa Hitting the high spots Dave
Old 05-05-2020, 08:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I often use Google Maps topographic view to discover that Riverside RV Resort is across a highway from the river and next to a scrap yard.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #9

Junk yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I often use Google Maps topographic view to discover that Riverside RV Resort is across a highway from the river and next to a scrap yard.
I could watch an old Link Belt Speeder LS78 crane with an electro magnet load junk into a gondola car by the hour. Wait, I used to do that when I was a kid at E. Cohn and Sons scrap yard about 4 blocks from where I grew up. On the way to check my bounty gopher traps. 10 cents for two front paws. 12 gophers would pay for another trap and enhance the planning for trapping the big fur in Alaska when I could quit school after the 8th grade.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:37 PM   #10

Thank you all for the great ideas!

I do love to plan, and I guess I'll not be going places until things open up more. So, more time to plan!

I'll definitely be doing searching on this board and posting to see what amazing secrets this forum holds... Like Iowa Dave's recommendations!

Now I'm wondering if I can add spots to my RV Trip Wizard of if I go that way, it will come up... hmmm.
Hwy 90 Three Forks, Montana... Wheat Montana... with my shopping list.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I keep two folders on my laptop - the first is labeled possible campsites & any suggestions from fellow travelers goes into it. The second is called places, and is filled with links & files of places that seem interesting to me, both from suggestions, and finds on the internet.

While I refer to both of them on each trip & manage to hit many, both lists keep getting bigger. Right now there are 73 items in the places folder & 44 in the possible campsites.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I keep two folders on my laptop - the first is labeled possible campsites & any suggestions from fellow travelers goes into it. The second is called places, and is filled with links & files of places that seem interesting to me, both from suggestions, and finds on the internet.

While I refer to both of them on each trip & manage to hit many, both lists keep getting bigger. Right now there are 73 items in the places folder & 44 in the possible campsites.
Great idea. Do you copy and paste them on a word document? What format do you put them on in your file?
Old 05-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #13

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
favorite stops

Dave, agree with you on Walden, Co. We park the trailer across the street and eat outside with Murphy. Also the food truck in South Park,Co. is very good.
We need to order food supplies again tomorrow and probably include most items we need especially gin and whiskey. We hope you're all doing well as we only talk on the phone now.
Azjack and Nancy
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Go View Post
Great idea. Do you copy and paste them on a word document? What format do you put them on in your file?
If it is text, I use TextEdit, if it is a link, it goes in as .webloc. (I'm on a Mac).
Old 05-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Last year, I Googled National Parks, National Monuments, and National Historic Sites. I then captured the information into spreadsheets. Lists of parks and monuments are not extensive, but there are hundreds of historic sites- a lot of which I had never heard of and which sounded really interesting. Its been a while since I did this, so I don't remember the exact sites. Google! There are similar lists of parks for some states.
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Have you heard of the National Parks Passport books? We picked up one of them a few years back, Deb looks for spots along our route that we can side trip to.