Massachusetts to Chilliwack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer
Talking Massachusetts to Chilliwack

Hi,

I was looking for some help in our travels from Massachusetts to pick up our trailer in Chilliwack, BC.

I have attached a photo from googles maps for this trip.

We are trying to determine which route we should drive to Chilliwack the N Dakota route or the S Dakota route since we will not have our trailer our plan was to stop at some of the attractions closer to the highways but keep on a good pace.

Our plan on the ride home would then be to take it slower and enjoy the trip back.

Any suggestion on either routes and what to make sure to see would be helpful.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
trip map.jpg  
cdmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #2

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Of the two routes you have shown I would recommend the route through Minnesota and North Dakota, much more scenic, especially if you stay a day at Medora, ND and take the drive through Teddy Roosevelt National Park.

I would take the South Dakota route home and spend some time in the Black Hills.

If you're a bicycle rider, take Interstate 90 across Minnesota, stop in Lanesboro, Minnesota and ride the Root River Trail. The scenery here is gorgeous and there are NO mosquitoes. We've ridden a number of trails in western US and the Root River Trail is up there with any of them. Plus, you can stay at the 250 Campground and have a spot next to our 5.0 (where we store the camper when we're not traveling).

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmixer View Post
Hi,

I was looking for some help in our travels from Massachusetts to pick up our trailer in Chilliwack, BC.

I have attached a photo from googles maps for this trip.

We are trying to determine which route we should drive to Chilliwack the N Dakota route or the S Dakota route since we will not have our trailer our plan was to stop at some of the attractions closer to the highways but keep on a good pace.

Our plan on the ride home would then be to take it slower and enjoy the trip back.

Any suggestion on either routes and what to make sure to see would be helpful.

Thank you.
I'm familiar with both routes. I would plan on South Dakota on the way to Chilliwack. A lot to see but you can do most of it in a day. You've got the Bad Lands, Mount Rushmore, Black Hills, Deadwood, and Sturgis. Once you get to Spearfish take 212. You'll wind up at the Custer Battlefield. Then on up To Billings. Now I may have made the argument for South Dakota on the way back. Anyway, on the North Dakota route, as Perrryb67 noted, Medora. Visit the TR National Park and there is a fairly nice campground by the river in Medora. Also, they have an excellent very professional musical presented in a beautiful amphitheater on a nearby ridge. The musical by itself would be worth a trip to Medora. Back in Montana after you head east from Billings along the way is "Pompey's Pillar". The main attraction there is that many of the great early western explorers carved their initials on the sandstone rock. Oh I forgot the main reason for a trip across South Dakota, The breakfast buffet at Wall Drug. You can't go wrong either way. Enjoy.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, the southern route is definitely more scenic especially South Dakota and Mt. Rushmore and the BadLands and Wall Drug. North Dakota is just plain, plain......the mileage is about the same as you both end up on I90 through Montana.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I would suggest the more northern route for going out and the southern route for returning, not that I'm familiar with the route (except the highways in IL, WI, MN and IA) but for avoiding the worst of the Chicago traffic with the trailer. Also there are many tolls in IL on I90 around Chicago but your southern route means only one toll on I80 south of Chicago.

You had originally been thinking of delivery it's good that you've decided to see the country and pick up your new Escape yourself. How much time are you allowing for the whole trip?
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:53 PM   #6

Having thought this over I can mention another option. I've done most of the two you have planned and most of this third option. I worked out of Boston for about a year and when it came time to relocate my Boston vehicle to Montana I looked at the map and noticed Buffalo, Toledo, Chicago and Minneapolis and decided I'll try something else. I headed toward Montreal and got on the Trans Canada. This route is about 100 miles longer but to me way more interesting than the other option. Now I departed the Trans Canada above western North Dakota but if you continue on that route you'll go through Banff National Park. This would, to me, make the extra 100 miles well worth while. Banff is just stunning in it's beauty and the trip from Banff to Chilliwack would also be very scenic. Then, return with the trailer through South Dakota. Are you planning on Yellowstone? One thing I left out in South Dakota is the I90 rest stop at Chamberlain. Great view of the Missouri.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:22 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
plus, going that way thru Canada you will be able to spend over $5/gallon for petrol, just think about that....
Old 04-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
plus, going that way thru Canada you will be able to spend over $5/gallon for petrol, just think about that....
Hey the guy lives in New England. He's use to paying way too much for too much for stuff, like gasoline. I was also going to advise him to avoid Sturgis in August.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Personally I like Ashfall National Monument in Royal, Nebraska on the way out if you like fossilized rhinos and elephants. After Glacier National Park on Route 2 through Montana, I like Teddy Roosevelt National Park in western North Dakota on the way back if you like buffalo, wild horses, and mountain sheep.

I also like to stop at the Machine Shed Restaurants in Iowa (near Davenport, and Des Moines) because the food is great. The pie is even better.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Going west, once across the state, check out Medora, ND. TR liked it.
Attached Thumbnails
Medora.jpg   Badland02.jpg  
Old 04-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
One more thing...if you like stargazing it is really tough to beat TR National Park with your telescope. Very dark. It is as good as Acadia National Park IMO.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21
We went to Chilliwack from Indiana via I90, and returned using I80. I80 was more populated with exits and civilization. But not densely populated. No more will I think that Indiana highways are long stretches of unpopulated territory. In our experience, driving to Chilliwack, those long spans of less occupied land, belong to South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana, when driving on I90.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
We took the northern route from Rhode Island to Chilliwack and enjoyed passing through South Dakota very much on the way back. Took us about a week to get there and 6 weeks to get back. Awesome trip with my son.
Enjoy the trip.
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer
Thank you for the help. Great suggestions.
cdmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That does not sound right to me. I bought gas at Costco in Edmonton yesterday for $1.14 CDN per Litre. At current exchange rate of $1CDN = $0.74USD, that is $0.844 USD per litre. Then divide by 0.264 Litres per US Gallon to get $3.20 USD per gallon. Much less than $5/gallon.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My converter says 1 U.S. gallon = 3.785 litres.
Currently in Vancouver reg. gas is about $1.70 CAD per litre or almost $6.50 CAD per US gallon, which is $4.84 US.
Vancouver gas prices are highest in Canadian provinces.
BTW. Regular gas in Osoyoos is currently $1.38 CAD a litre.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #17

I say go through Canada because Banff beats Buffalo and about anything beats Cleveland.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I say go through Canada because Banff beats Buffalo and about anything beats Cleveland.
And Winnipeg beats Fargo. After all 430 fibreglass trailers meeting last August couldn't be wrong

Jim thanks for supporting the Cdn route, yes gas is more but not $5 American as Jim N. states in post #7. As Glenn points out gas is close to $5 but only in Vancouver area. Even northern ON is only $1.40/l and cheaper on the prairies.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
In Gas Buddy's Gas Price Map for Canada, note that Glenn's Vancouver-area prices (the scary red area) are not common, and for the novelty of paying the lowest price you can detour through Edmonton (but seriously, don't bother ...) for the nice dark green colour of the lowest prices. Never plan to buy gas in that patch of red in Ontario if you can avoid it (it's naturally expensive due to transportation costs)... fill up in Manitoba if eastbound.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
And Winnipeg beats Fargo. After all 430 fibreglass trailers meeting last August couldn't be wrong

Jim thanks for supporting the Cdn route, yes gas is more but not $5 American as Jim N. states in post #7. As Glenn points out gas is close to $5 but only in Vancouver area. Even northern ON is only $1.40/l and cheaper on the prairies.
The best I can say about Fargo is that it was a good movie. Yes, I know it's a wonderful place but who goes there on vacation. If you have a once in a lifetime opportunity to see Lake Louise and decide to go through Chicago. Well, what can I say.

Tags
chilliwack, massachusetts, planning, trip