Mountain snow and California wildfires - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Mountain snow and California wildfires

Looking for resources and suggestions. We were so excited about getting our new 5.0TA that we didn't plan our route back to Arizona
carefully enough. Also, the extent of the California wildfires was unexpected.

So we are trying to get to Tucson (leaving Tillamook, OR) and avoid the likeliest places for snow making travel difficult. First choice is going south through California, but I don't know how to find out if I5 is closed due to fires.

Any suggestions appreciated...but please be kind. If we weren't blinded by new Escape lust, we would have planned better.🤗
poodlespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Try Caltrans cameras Live Traffic Cameras
also update your avatar to your new Escape....
Old 11-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #3

Trailer: none
You can check current road conditions by visiting this site and entering the highways you wish to travel: Division of Traffic Operations - Road Information - California Highway Information

You can also call Caltrans Road Conditions at 800-427-7623.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #4
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
I-5 is open, and there's no snow. All major roads should be good as long as you avoid Butte county.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
I-5 is open, and there's no snow. All major roads should be good as long as you avoid Butte county.
Yes, and Butte Co. means Hwys. 89 and 99. I-5 will be smoky, but open all the way.....

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
You should be fine going back through California. It may be a little smokey in some parts, but definitely do-able (we keep the air on 'recirculate' while driving). One of the best fire maps out there is: https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2018/fire-tracker/. (P.S. Weather in the Santa Cruz/Monterey area is warm, hazy and sunny with a 'possibility' of rain next week ... we can only hope.)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
(P.S. Weather in the Santa Cruz/Monterey area is warm, hazy and sunny with a 'possibility' of rain next week ... we can only hope.)

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
To expand on the Calif. maps: QuickMap

On the left is a pulldown menu, where you can select a variety of options, including traffic cams, the text of the message boards, closures, etc.

So.Calif. status relative to fires (as of Wed. Nov. 14, 11:30 am), US-101 and I-5 are open, some smoke (not bad) on US-101 between Thousand Oaks (Ventura County) and San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles). Strong winds remain today, but leave tomorrow. We even have a slim possibility of something called 'rain' next week.
Wind: If you're using I-5 over the mts. south of Bakersfield, note that the following from NOAA applies to you.
245 AM PST Wed Nov 14 2018 ...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 PM PST THIS AFTERNOON... * WINDS...Northeast 20 to 35 mph with gusts to 45 mph will continue through this afternoon. There will be local gusts to 50 mph this morning after sunrise. Winds will diminish late in the afternoon. * IMPACTS...Gusty winds will make driving difficult, especially for drivers of high profile vehicles. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... When driving, use extra caution. Be prepared for sudden gusty cross winds.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19'
The siskiyou summit (highest elevation on I5) is on the Oregon side and you can see webcam here - https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/Road...ns?curRegion=7
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I'd suggest taking US395 down the east side of the sierras as the smoke is positively unhealthy in the sacramento valley that I5 travels down.... PM 2.5 micron AQI was 180+ in Sacramento today, you do NOT want to be breathing that without a N95 or better mask.

https://go.nasa.gov/2TaBugq
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I'd suggest taking US395 down the east side of the sierras as the smoke is positively unhealthy in the sacramento valley that I5 travels down.... PM 2.5 micron AQI was 180+ in Sacramento today, you do NOT want to be breathing that without a N95 or better mask.

https://go.nasa.gov/2TaBugq

To take US-395 and avoid smoke, your best bet would be: At Eugene, take OR-58 east over Willamette pass, then US-97 to Klamath Falls, then SE on OR-39/CA-139 to Canby, CA, then east on CA-299 to Alturas, CA, then US-395 south. Note that everything is 2 lane highway all the way to about 25 miles north of Reno. But, it is an interesting drive through the dry terrain on the east side of the mountains (Cascades & northern Sierra Nevadas).
South of Reno, if you continue on US-395, you will have 4 mountain passes in the 7,000-8,000 range before you get to Bishop, then you're at a fairly constant 4,000 ± ft. until south of Olancha (start of the real dessert).

Edit: get gas at 1/2 tank. There are stretches with few services.

It looks like you cannot escape the smoke/haze by taking US-101 either (at least for the next two days).
Old 11-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Last January we drove along the California coast and right past the Leo Carrillo RV site. We stayed several days at the very-very nice Malibu Creek campground. I was wondering if the fires have come anywhere close to it.
Attached Thumbnails
cal017.jpg  
Old 11-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Last January we drove along the California coast and right past the Leo Carrillo RV site. We stayed several days at the very-very nice Malibu Creek campground. I was wondering if the fires have come anywhere close to it.

Myron, Malibu Creek campground was in the midst of the Woolsey Fire. The campground is fairly near Paramount Ranch, where all the movie and TV filming sets were destroyed. Here's the official statement: "November 13: Malibu Creek State Park has been closed until further notice due to the Woolsey Fire. State Parks lost some structures, such as employee residences, the historic Sepulveda Adobe, Red House, Hope Ranch also known as the White Oak Barn (including historic Adamson rowboats) and Reagan Ranch."
Old 11-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #14

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Myron, Malibu Creek campground was in the midst of the Woolsey Fire. The campground is fairly near Paramount Ranch, where all the movie and TV filming sets were destroyed. Here's the official statement: "November 13: Malibu Creek State Park has been closed until further notice due to the Woolsey Fire. State Parks lost some structures, such as employee residences, the historic Sepulveda Adobe, Red House, Hope Ranch also known as the White Oak Barn (including historic Adamson rowboats) and Reagan Ranch."
Just to clarify the status of Reagan Ranch, here is an official statement:

https://www.yaf.org/news/yaf-stateme...s7QqENA9ATJG0Y