National Parks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2020, 06:22 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17B - Café con Leche - 2020
We have reservations for June 27 at Sequoia National Park, today I received an email from Recreation.gov:
Kings Canyon and Sequoia Nat. Parks are closed for the entire 2020 season.
Bummer.
Mario
Old 05-21-2020, 08:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I hate paying tolls, even when I didn't tow a trailer. I keep my GPS set on no tolls, but since it doesn't have a settings of "no tolls except bridges", it once suggested an 850 mile route to get to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, a 250 mile drive from my house if you want to take one of the Niagara Falls toll bridges.
Jon since we were both born in Rochester , New York and myself ,haven’t seen the falls on the Canadian side since I was 16 ,I would and I think Linda would agree take the long way around and enjoy ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:16 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hopefully Alf's Niagara Rally in September will be salvageable .....
Old 06-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Just canceled our reservations for almost a month in August at Glacier NP in Montana. Just too far from home for a long trip in these uncertain times, and it's questionable how much of the park and facilities will be at full operation this summer so we will try again next summer.

Still hoping to do the second half of our big trip in September to Utah and New Mexico, we'll see how things go the next couple of months before deciding about that.

As a consolation I just made a reservation in December for a week at our favorite campsite at Big Bend NP in the Chisos Basin campground, after that we will hit some state parks and also Guadalupe Mountains NP. Guadalupe Mountains NP is remote and very primitive, the RV campground is literally a parking lot with spots lined off, but a very scenic setting and wonderful hiking. In years past our old rig was not very well suited for boondocking there for more than a couple of days, looking forward to the luxury of being there in our 5.0TA this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Little trailer under a big sky.JPG  
Old 06-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #25

We were planning on doing the "Grand Circle" in Utah this July or August, doubtful now. Alf's Niagara Rally in September seems to be the only glimmer of a rally this year.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I have made several reservations for September and October: Crater Lake, Badlands, T Roosevelt S Unit and RMNP so far. Crossing my fingers.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Jon since we were both born in Rochester , New York and myself ,haven’t seen the falls on the Canadian side since I was 16 ,I would and I think Linda would agree take the long way around and enjoy ! Pat
I've attended the Niagara Wine Escape rally most years since 2010; I'm willing to pay for the bridge, but take NY 104 rather than the thruway (I 90). Much more pleasant to drive & it is 2 miles from my house in Oswego.

I have taken the Canadian route above Lake Ontario a number of times when heading west or back from the West...
Old 06-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Still hoping to do the second half of our big trip in September to Utah and New Mexico, we'll see how things go the next couple of months before deciding about that.
If you drop in on Capitol Reef NP the second week of September you will find Velocity and its maintainers (us) camped in site 58. Come by and we can discuss Chisos Basin for hours.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #29

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
If you drop in on Capitol Reef NP the second week of September you will find Velocity and its maintainers (us) camped in site 58. Come by and we can discuss Chisos Basin for hours.

--
Alan
We'll be in #68, if we get to go, Sept. 10 - 13. The week before that we'll be over in Torrey at Thousand Lakes and also a night each up at Fish Lake and at Singletree on Boulder Mountain.

We got site 18 at Chisos, worked well for us before. Really disappointed that #47, which looked like it would be our favorite, has been taken off the reservation list. Now at Chisos the first two loops are all reservation sites and the lower areas all walk-ins.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #30

Quote:
I've attended the Niagara Wine Escape rally most years since 2010; I'm willing to pay for the bridge, but take NY 104 rather than the thruway (I 90). Much more pleasant to drive & it is 2 miles from my house in Oswego.

I have taken the Canadian route above Lake Ontario a number of times when heading west or back from the West...
Thanks Jon . Hope we can ever get to see again . Pat
Old 06-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #31

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Pat: Was just there this past summer as part of a 2 week road trip with the family. Hopefully these pics bring back some great memories...
Attached Thumbnails
210591D0-1965-497C-A46F-CF0A6DB5C8A7.jpg   171C6709-AAC3-4ACE-A955-A1F8C6D4929A.jpg   C0FB8560-4DB9-450B-BAE3-CF56E4D7AB29.jpg   99F6FB55-51D6-4FCD-ADEB-5DFE2F85BF02.jpg  
Old 06-02-2020, 10:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Pat: Was just there this past summer as part of a 2 week road trip with the family. Hopefully these pics bring back some great memories...
Oh Dave Thankyou so much ! Pat and Linda
Old 06-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
What great shots! Man, that last one with the road where you could drive right up to the edge was exactly what I had in mind for me taking a picture of my new to me trailer with the falls in the background, the day in 2011 I picked it up 8 miles away. Never got the chance, though.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We'll be in #68, if we get to go, Sept. 10 - 13. The week before that we'll be over in Torrey at Thousand Lakes and also a night each up at Fish Lake and at Singletree on Boulder Mountain.

We got site 18 at Chisos, worked well for us before. Really disappointed that #47, which looked like it would be our favorite, has been taken off the reservation list. Now at Chisos the first two loops are all reservation sites and the lower areas all walk-ins.
Your Capitol Reef NP dates are a perfect overlap of our dates - so there will be an opportunity for story telling and (virtual) sharing of adult beverages.

Regarding the changes to Chisos site reservations: The Park made those changes after we departed, sometime around the first of this year and I am not aware of the specifics. Yes, #47 is one of the nicest sites. Consider asking the campground host if you can move to 47 after you arrive if it is unoccupied, or later if the current occupants move. And for others considering this campground: 47 is in the no-generator zone, 18 is generator-permitted, but with very limited hours.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #35

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
What great shots! Man, that last one with the road where you could drive right up to the edge was exactly what I had in mind for me taking a picture of my new to me trailer with the falls in the background, the day in 2011 I picked it up 8 miles away. Never got the chance, though.
Myron if you're looking at the last shot with the road appearing to be right by the edge of the Horseshoe Falls you'd never get a pic of that with trailer since there's no stopping allowed along there, only a very expensive parking lot across the street. We lived about 10 miles from the Falls for a few years and took lots of people there to see them close up but knew where to park for free, mind you you have to walk down the Niagara Escarpment and they now have that route blocked off and removed the stairs at one steep part.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We have just returned from a quick trip to Bryce Canyon, UT and Grand Canyon. Although the Grand Canyon reservations had been canceled, we were able to stay at a private campground in Willliams and make a day trip to GC, where we were able to find ample room to park and roam around while keeping a safe distance from others. It was a silver lining for the Covid cloud. Bryce was semi-opened; we had to use a private campground there also. The best place for up to date information is the National Park Service website. Safe and happy travels, everyone.
Karen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #37

When we attend Alf's Niagara Rally we try to view the falls at several different times. There are lots of crowds sometimes during the day, but weekends and nights are less crowded. We also love going to Niagara on the Lake region not too far away and on our last trip we found take out wine coolers....a pleasant surprise.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Photo ops

I’ve seen Niagara Falls numerous times. I like the Canadian Falls at night. When my family wants to see the falls, I take them up there and as we are stopped
for traffic the family gets out of the car. Then I purposely drive into the traffic jam that develops about every night. I edge along and give the parkway police a hopeless expression like “I’m just passing through”. They only seem to get upset with people stopping to take pictures or getting in and out of the vehicle. I drive up the hill through the carnival atmosphere street, park for some minutes in a Hotel lot or at a meter. My family calls me and tells me they have had enough of the falls. I drive back down and pick them up. Then back up to the Dairy Queen where we spend what we saved on parking (about $20) on ice cream treats. Then back down to the Riverside Campground for more fun.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-03-2020, 04:23 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My wife & celebrated our 40th anniversary in a Canadian side hotel overlooking the falls (a repeat of our honeymoon - I'm sure the fireworks were just for us!)

The view from our window:
Attached Thumbnails
niagara.jpg   niagarafalls2.jpg  
Old 06-03-2020, 04:32 PM   #40

Quote:
My wife & celebrated our 40th anniversary in a Canadian side hotel overlooking the falls (a repeat of our honeymoon - I'm sure the fireworks were just for us!)

The view from our window:
Beautiful memories Jon ! Pat