Need for GPS - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I just expect to get lost at least one time on a big(ger) trip and I'm never disappointed. When I was a kid, my Mother was the one that used to get irritated when we'd get lost. My Dad just said, Nadine sit back and relax. Look around, we may never pass this way again. Love that philosophy.

Shoot, I got 'lost' coming home from the ETI rally in 2015 and I was always on main roads. Missed the sign to turn towards Wenatchee and ended up on Native American land where I couldn't turn around for about 20 miles (it was a raised frontage road). "I'll never pass that way again."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Has anyone updated the Ford Sync3 navigation data? Is it worth it for Canada?
When we got our 2017 F150, the data was at least 5 years old and POI were worse.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:57 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
"I'll never pass that way again."
I've learned to never say never.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I use the CoPilot app on a Samsung tablet which I keep in a floor mount in the truck when driving. That works pretty well. The CoPilot map does go out of date so I download a new one every year (2 GB, but free).

My Garmin did try to take me across a lake once. I got tired of it pretty quickly and when its internal battery ran down I abandoned it.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:52 PM   #45

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I use a Garmin and although it sometimes leads me astray, it is way better than asking my wife which way to go when she has the map. The best thing about a gps is driving in the dark. My old eyes have a hard time with street sights at night.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
No one needs an RV or an automobile for that matter. The pioneers did fine with covered wagons and going west following the sun.

Or following the other 400,000:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trave...ail-180960589/
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:56 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Very interesting, I have seen some of those ruts in our travels.....
Old 07-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #48

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
. I have seen the ones in Guernsey WY. On a motorcycle trip in “77”. I remember being very impressed that the trail was so visible 120 yrs or so later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I use a Garmin and although it sometimes leads me astray, it is way better than asking my wife which way to go when she has the map. The best thing about a gps is driving in the dark. My old eyes have a hard time with street sights at night.
. I’m with you. My wife can’t read a map for nothing. I relay on my garmin a lot. It has led me astray a couple of times, but 98% of the time it’s got me where I needed to go. And if it does mess up I just turn it off and go a couple miles down the road, turn it on and it recalculates. Used to be I would just look over the map for that days travel and memorize it. Those days seem to be gone?
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #49

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Send a message via MSN to kwthere Send a message via Yahoo to kwthere
I use a Garmin RV 760LMT (purchased 2013). Like the free map updates; traffic alerts. You input your RV dimensions; it allows you to use in either "Auto" or "RV" mode. I have found, when used in the "RV" mode, it will often route me over a longer route than the "Auto" mode even the "Auto" route seems quite safe and passable. When traveling on some residential streets or passable rural road (while in RV Mode), it will give me a message that it has not been determined that the road is passable by RV. I have more or less stopped using the RV mode.
kwthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwthere View Post
I use a Garmin RV 760LMT (purchased 2013). Like the free map updates; traffic alerts. You input your RV dimensions; it allows you to use in either "Auto" or "RV" mode. I have found, when used in the "RV" mode, it will often route me over a longer route than the "Auto" mode even the "Auto" route seems quite safe and passable. When traveling on some residential streets or passable rural road (while in RV Mode), it will give me a message that it has not been determined that the road is passable by RV. I have more or less stopped using the RV mode.

I use the same and I like it a lot! We drove from Chilliwack back to Texas in the AUTO mode before I found the RV mode. [emoji4]. I tried the RV mode but like you I went back the the AUTO mode 95% of the time.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
I use the same and I like it a lot! We drove from Chilliwack back to Texas in the AUTO mode before I found the RV mode. [emoji4]. I tried the RV mode but like you I went back the the AUTO mode 95% of the time.

And I really like the traffic function and the Up Ahead function. This shows you gas and food up ahead and on your route. It’s very helpful when looking for a gas station along your route.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:07 PM   #52

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
And I really like the traffic function and the Up Ahead function. This shows you gas and food up ahead and on your route. It’s very helpful when looking for a gas station along your route.

Sounds like a lot of information. Do you pull over to use it, or does the passenger operate it?
In BC you would get a hefty find for searching your GPS while driving ( that includes while stopped at a stoplight.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #53

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Sounds like a lot of information. Do you pull over to use it, or does the passenger operate it?
In BC you would get a hefty find for searching your GPS while driving ( that includes while stopped at a stoplight.

A lot of the new ones can be operated by yelling at them.
OK, they really are designed to operate by voice commands. But in real life they do not seem to understand southern or New York accents. I imagine a good Canadian one could also confuse them.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

My wife/passenger operates it. It’s very simple and requires only two pushes (menu then up ahead). The screen then automatically defaults to show on the right 1/4 of the screen the upcoming gas, dining and ATM by miles along the route. Another push can give you specifics of gas for example but we hardly use it. Knowing there is a gas station on the right in 10 miles is good enough. As you get closer the counter ticks down until you arrive at it. Very simple to use.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
A lot of the new ones can be operated by yelling at them.
OK, they really are designed to operate by voice commands. But in real life they do not seem to understand southern or New York accents. I imagine a good Canadian one could also confuse them.
We don't have a problem with voice commands because we don't have an accent up here.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We don't have a problem with voice commands because we don't have an accent up here.
So "hey" and "eh" are never mistaken, eh?

Born and raised in Balamer, Merrylan, we speak the Kings English-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_accent
Old 07-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #57

We even have our own dictionerry- http://www.baltimorehon.com/#D
Old 07-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
"OK, GOOGLE!" (loudly to get over the spotify music I probably have cranked up)... <beep> "Find Diesel en route!" <thinking thinking> <bunch of station icons show up along the route ahead, with google's estimated current pricing...> tap one... tap add to route... keep on driving on...

wished for feature: that it would show the distance to each of these stations on the map, so I could pick one 100 miles or whatever ahead when I know what my safe range is...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
I don't use TomTom for anything. Garmin is the standard for GPS as they are used in aircraft, Yachts, boats, RV;s, and cars. I personally have used them in aircraft, cars, boats, cars, and RV. I also use the phone app RV Parky when travelling in car or RV. Garmin has always been spot on which is kinda nice in your RV or car and critical when flying.
It is critical that you update when they send you a note. Garmin will not route you over water, so no need to worry about ferries. It will route you to the ferry. It will also reroute
me around accidents if I choose. I have used cars equipped with TomTom and surprised at the difference. I believe that Subaru uses TomTom for their indash GPS.
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape 2018 / 17B
I have a Garmin 61 and an older Nuvi 760. I always use Basecamp (on Garmin website) to plan my routes (on a computer) as I generally never use the "fastest" or "shortest" routes the units will calculate.

First I let Basecamp do the routing as the GPS unit would, then I add waypoints to the new route to force the GPS to go where I want using the roads I want.

Once done I upload the routes onto the GPS. Note that it takes a little while for the GPS to load the route(s). Basecamp will allow you to download the routes you've done onto your computer. It can also display the vertical profile of the driven routes.

Basecamp has slew of other features that one might find useful.
bitsnbytes13 is offline   Reply With Quote