New Colorado camping rules - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2020, 11:17 AM   #1

Trailer: NA
New Colorado camping rules

If you are planning to boondock in Colorado you might need a hunting or fishing license.
https://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...er/5349078002/
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #2

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
True.

This applies to State land and not Federal land like the US Forest Service.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Clint View Post
If you are planning to boondock in Colorado you might need a hunting or fishing license.
https://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...er/5349078002/
An annual fishing license is $35 for residents, and $100 for non-residents.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
A $100 license versus a $139 fine if caught? Not a very high incentive for out-of-staters to buy the license, unless they plan to also hunt or fish legally. For that matter, the entire setup is a strong disincentive for out-of-staters to visit CO state lands. But that could help CO residents with overcrowding on state land, I suppose. I'm not banging on the state of Colorado, though; every state has to decide and do what it thinks is best. And there are still plenty of federal forest acres in the state. I am very glad that you informed us, TX Clint, of this change.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
As I read it, it pertains only to Larimer county. That is the northern county that R.M.N.P. is partially in. The exact list of properties it pertains to are not any sites I would usually go to. The Fish Hatchery up the Poudre river has Big Bend campground right next to it which is far superior. I just stayed there. Now the fly fishing there is quite good!

Larimer country does not think the same way Boulder county, it's southern neighbor, thinks. Much more conservative.

I saw about 20 sites and I doubt you would want to go to many of them. Don't worry too much about this. Lots and lots of great camping in Larimer county is not affected by this.

My fishing license for two rods this year was $56.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
As I read it, it pertains only to Larimer county. That is the northern county that R.M.N.P. is partially in. The exact list of properties it pertains to are not any sites I would usually go to. The Fish Hatchery up the Poudre river has Big Bend campground right next to it which is far superior. I just stayed there. Now the fly fishing there is quite good!

Larimer country does not think the same way Boulder county, it's southern neighbor, thinks. Much more conservative.

I saw about 20 sites and I doubt you would want to go to many of them. Don't worry too much about this. Lots and lots of great camping in Larimer county is not affected by this.

My fishing license for two rods this year was $56.

From the Colorado Parks website.

https://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/p...feAreaMap.aspx

“A valid hunting or fishing license is required for everyone 18 or older accessing any State Wildlife Area or CPW-leased State Trust Land, effective July 1, 2020. For more information, read the frequently asked questions.“

A statewide rule.

The CO resident annual Geezer, that’s me, fishing license costs $9.85/year.

Sam
Old 07-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #7

Well that is different. The last referenced article stated Larimer county. This is different. And stupid. My wife now has to have a fishing or hunting license? Does she have to buy a gun too? Do we have to start killing things too? This is extortion, plain and simple.

Normally you do not see this out of Colorado, once in a while you do. I doubt this stands for long. But, what a stain on our state! It's not the worst one either. I feel an "Animal Story" coming on, and not a pleasant one.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Well that is different. The last referenced article stated Larimer county. This is different. And stupid. My wife now has to have a fishing or hunting license? Does she have to buy a gun too? Do we have to start killing things too?

Normally you do not see this out of Colorado, once in a while you do. I doubt this stands for long. But, what a stain on our state!
A resident fishing license, yes. Killing fish is optional.

More and more places all over the country are going to the concept that user fees, as opposed to general tax revenue, should support recreation. Some see it that way; some don't.

The state is mostly USFS land so avoiding State lands is very easy.

Sam
Old 07-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Makes sense to me. The areas on question are maintained using fees from fishing and hunting licenses and they are seeing a lot of other users and want them to contribute, too. The alternative is to have higher taxes cover everyone.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Makes sense to me. The areas on question are maintained using fees from fishing and hunting licenses and they are seeing a lot of other users and want them to contribute, too. The alternative is to have higher taxes cover everyone.
Florida Wildlife Management Areas have an access fee.

You can add an annual pass to your hunting or fishing license or you can pay for annual pass all by itself. The fee is $35 resident or nonresident, for all three options. If you don't have an annual pass there is a $5 day use fee that is paid at an 'Iron Ranger' at the entrance.

This seems like a better solution to me than requiring everyone to pay for WMAs through taxes or requiring all hunters and fisherman to pay for WMAs through their licenses, those that actually use the WMA pay for it.

Before and since I became a Florida resident I pay for an annual WMA pass as I do nature photography even though I don't hunt or fish, but, there is a WMA close by.

Green Heron at Babcock-Webb Wildlife Management Area.
Click image for larger version

Name:	27164721_10159920968495693_4460505375670456186_o.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	48603

Sandhill Cranes at Babcock-Webb Wildlife Management Area.
Click image for larger version

Name:	16252297_10158129169950693_8040122239001492054_o.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	48604
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post

Why do I have to subsidize activities that kill. I do not kill! Nor do I want to pay for killing. I want to look at the animals not blow their heads off.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
UT,
You are paying only for your use of the area, others will pay for their use and use it in different ways. Everyone pays and we all get to use it, as we see fit.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Vegetarian
An old Native American word for bad hunter.
More and more you will see pay to play. And we’re just getting started. Your budget allocation for recreation and other things that have been cheap for a long time are going to change
I’m the next 5 years. That’s my prediction. I eat little squirrels, rough fish, wild plums, berries, nuts and whatever else is in season but will not eat a dove. Set your own parameters, live your own life, be happy you can do what you can.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I only want to pay taxes for programs, services or infrastructure that directly benefits ME !
A sad commentary on the state of our society .
Glad my parents and grandparents didn’t follow that selfish philosophy .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:00 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Let's be careful how far we drift this thread. Politics are better discussed elsewhere than the EscapeForum...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
There is another benefit to having a Colorado fishing licence besides fishing. It is also an insurance policy for search and rescue operations. If you like to get out into the back country hiking skiing, ATVs whatever and you ever need that helicopter ride with a fishing licence the state pays, without and it's on your dime
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Wow, that’s the deal of the century. Those helicopter rides and search and rescue missions cost a lot of money.

We had a strange case about 60 miles north of us this past week. A 40 some year old fellow in a care center wandered away. He has Alzheimer’s disease. For three days hundreds of people searched for him in 90 degree heat. Hope was dimming. On the fourth morning a cable locate technician from a town 60 miles away decided to try a locate on his list. Down in a ditch with a culvert he found the guy stuck in the mud. The water was cool enough that it lowered his body temperature and allowed him to stay alive. Rescued and in the hospital he’s recovering and a lot of people are very relieved. He was less than a mile from the care center. For all the resources expended a chance encounter saved his life.
Count your blessings
Iowa Dave
Old 07-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Short term visitors to Colorado state wildlife areas can purchase a 5 day out-of-state license for $32.14.

(For reference, a Wyoming out-of-state 5 day license is $56.00)

I've lived here for 25 years or so and to my knowledge have never visited a state wildlife area for purposes other than fishing, where a license has always been required anyway.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Let's be careful how far we drift this thread. Politics are better discussed elsewhere than the EscapeForum...

Balance, you guys, Balance. I personally do not find anything said offensive. Just me!

I visit them all the time. I have a license, I do not fish.

I'm okay with this. We need to talk.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Wow, that’s the deal of the century. Those helicopter rides and search and rescue missions cost a lot of money.

Been that way for years too!