New E19 pickup trip report - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 E19 - towed by a Jeep Gladiator
New E19 pickup trip report

The day finally came! We picked up our E19 trailer last week in Sumas, WA. To say the least we were excited to get our hands on the the trailer and check out a E19 in person...pictures on the internet and video walkthroughs can only go so far...

We met the ETI delivery driver in Bob's Burgers parking lot after he was delayed 30+ minutes at the border. We thought the trailer looked good towed by the ETI truck but when we matched it up with the Gladiator...wow...they matched perfect.

We purchased the Fastway E2 weight distribution hitch with the trailer and ETI set it up perfectly based on measurements we previously sent so off we went to Oostema Farmstead for the first night which is about 10 miles. We enjoyed staying at Oostema Farmstead, it's quiet, shaded, and very quaint. The services we used included potable water and power only. Lisa (owner) was super friendly and helpful for local questions. We'd definitely recommend this place for a night or two.

After going through all the components and confirming everything worked I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the trailer. We've been in a lot of 'other brand' trailers and ETI builds a well built unit, even the wiring and plumbing placement seems to be well thought out, cleanly installed and serviceable. After our initial excitement wore off and hunger took over we figured we'd just tow the trailer to the grocery store and stock up for the next few days while driving back home to Boise.

We spent several days boondocking on our return trip to home getting to know the trailer.

Our route took us over the Cascade Mountain range in Washington and Blue Mountains range in Oregon offering a great towing test for the Jeep Gladiator and E19 since there are several significant grades to climb. Our total miles towing were 656 miles resulting in 12 mpg for the trip which I was pleased with. The route included WA Highway 2 which is a beautiful 2 lane highway (driving approx 55 mph) as well as interstates (driving approx 65-70 mph).

Our trailer is well equiped with most options but we're going to make it our own and have already replaced the shower curtain, modified the medicine cabinet, fitted the queen bed with Beddy's bedding and numerous containers and bins. We did not have ETI install the table base in our U-dinette so the first significant mod will be installing a Lagun table base we previously ordered.

This forum and it's members have been such a valuable resource and we appreciate all the member's efforts and time spent sharing here and we're looking forward to parking next to you down the road somewhere.

Glade & Sherie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2103.jpg   B1D1D0B6-9D33-42AC-A429-171E3D5682C5.jpg   IMG_2113.jpg   IMG_2142.jpg   IMG_2124.jpg  

IMG_2117.jpg   IMG_2132.jpg   IMG_2128.jpg  
gsbfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
congratulations!! LOOKS GREAT! I see you have high lift kit with the single step. How high is that step? I ordered the same thing and everyone told me I need the double step. I really dint want the double step . I was thinking if need be I would carry a step.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Your rig looks fabulous, Jeep and trailer are, as you say, a perfect match!
And hey, I really like the fabric you chose - handsome

Loved hearing your tale, what a fine account of a first 'run' with your new home-on-wheels. Have a ball with it.

Cheers, from New Hampshire!
Old 06-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nice combo, which motor fo you have and can you tell you are towing? Is there a tow mode?
Old 06-10-2020, 08:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
congratulations!! LOOKS GREAT! I see you have high lift kit with the single step. How high is that step? I ordered the same thing and everyone told me I need the double step. I really dint want the double step . I was thinking if need be I would carry a step.
Yes we have the high lift installed. We debated 1 or 2 steps and with help of Samuel (salesman) we decided on 1 step. We were advised the lower step on the 2 step unit was only a couple inches from the ground and I confirmed this after the fact during a live stream event that Karl did.

I just measured our step; from the ground to the top of the step is 12”. From the top of the step to the trailer entry is 11”. The step distance does not feel awkward or unusual. We’re glad we choose 1 step!
Old 06-10-2020, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Nice combo, which motor fo you have and can you tell you are towing? Is there a tow mode?
Thanks Jim. The Gladiator has the 3.6L Pentastar V6 engine offering 285 horsepower. It’s paired with the 8 speed automatic transmission. I love the transmission in this thing, it shifts so smooth!

While I could definitely feel I was towing there wasn’t any issues accelerating to pass other vehicles. When climbing 5-7% grades at highway speeds I could feel the impact and speeds would drop but any V6 pulling a 3,800 lb trailer will have it’s speed impacted. The Gladiator does not have a driver controlled tow-haul mode but rather is load sensing and it adjusts shifting based on the load. I noticed a change in the actual shift pattern after driving a few miles which I was pleased with. Alternatively, you can also shift it in manual mode and take it through all the gears yourself and I did that driving through the Cascades to test it out.

Can’t wait to have a few thousand miles of towing on it.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 19'
Congrats on your new 19! Another boise escape, yahoo.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbfree View Post
Yes we have the high lift installed. We debated 1 or 2 steps and with help of Samuel (salesman) we decided on 1 step. We were advised the lower step on the 2 step unit was only a couple inches from the ground and I confirmed this after the fact during a live stream event that Karl did.

I just measured our step; from the ground to the top of the step is 12”. From the top of the step to the trailer entry is 11”. The step distance does not feel awkward or unusual. We’re glad we choose 1 step!

Thanks for the measurements. I feel better about my step choice .
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (June 2020..hopefully)
Congratulations! Thanks so much for the tale of your first adventure. I noticed you have a Berkey filter and it looks like it fits okay on the counter. Which size Berkey is it?
Allswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allswell View Post
Congratulations! Thanks so much for the tale of your first adventure. I noticed you have a Berkey filter and it looks like it fits okay on the counter. Which size Berkey is it?
Our Berkey is the Travel size model. There are several posts on the forum with users showing their Berkey setup.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:42 AM   #11

Yay! I ordered the travel size last week. I hadn't noticed other posts about the Berkey. I'll be picking up my trailer in a few weeks, so thanks for sharing details on the pick-up in Sumas. Can I ask what measurements you sent ETI? I didn't get any requests for measurements.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Thanks for the report. The 19 and Gladiator combo looks sweet!
Old 06-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allswell View Post
Yay! I ordered the travel size last week. I hadn't noticed other posts about the Berkey. I'll be picking up my trailer in a few weeks, so thanks for sharing details on the pick-up in Sumas. Can I ask what measurements you sent ETI? I didn't get any requests for measurements.
Congrats on your upcoming delivery!!! We purchased the Fastway E2 weight distribution hitch through ETI. I provided ETI a picture of our receiver hitch with measuring tape showing height of hitch. From there they'll assemble the hitch to match the height of your actual receiver hitch and setup everything on the trailer too. I won't have to make any adjustments to the hitch until I change tires and lift on the Gladiator. If you're not purchasing a weight distribution hitch it won't be necessary for them to have pictures.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #14

Thanks so very much for the explanation! I also purchased a Fastway E2 so I'll send in the same info. I've only pulled a cargo trailer a few times back in college, but never hitched one up so I'm on a very steep learning curve.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Practice, practice.

Plenty of advice out there, but practice, practice your trailering back-up and other skills. Go slow, real slow, learn all you can, there's videos of some benefit to watch, and practice some more. And do your practice in a safe, wide open area.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have never had a weight distribution hitch before, but really, I find it very easy. I have never had to use the bar tool...Escape training showed me how to use the jack up and down to be able to seat the bars. One advice: get some lynch pins to replace those danged cotter pin clips. And carry a spare or two, they are only about 50 cents each.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:10 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Congratulations!! A great looking set-up. I think you and I visited prior to your trip to Sumas. With the research you did, I'm confident you'll enjoy this trailer. We are happy for you - we are heading to Grand Teton NP this weekend to enjoy our 19. Best wishes!
gudmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Congratulations from up north of you about 4 hours! Great looking set-up!!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:35 PM   #19

Thanks for all the advice! There is so much information, advice, and support on this forum. I've learned so much even though I don't have my trailer just yet.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
We read all about the problem getting into a high-lift E19 - ordered it anyway. We have had no problems even in the circumstances that we have to do an additional lift to level on that side. When we do that - I do end up using the grab handle. But, I am a more athletic senior so personal appraisal of ability should be assessed.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote