next fall Georgia to Amish to Maine... where do you like? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2020, 08:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
next fall Georgia to Amish to Maine... where do you like?

Planning for next fall.
Georgia to Amish Country to Maine.

Love to know about your thoughts on special campgrounds near the route.
(will detour for that! ha!)
Love a site with a beautiful view.
Prefer full hook ups, but need electricity!

Thanks for any ideas!
camp sites, restaurants, or must see's.

Have done a couple of trips to some of the areas by plane/rental car or cruise ships... really looking forward to camping!
Never been to Amish country... got to go to Hershey!

Trying to keep it under 3 weeks.

Thanks again for your help!

Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Schoodic Woods Campground in Arcadia NP is a great destination. It is a relatively new campground on Schoodic Peninsula near Winter Haven with both water and/or electric hookups, with very nice new bathrooms. It is not on Mount Desert Island but there is a small ferry across Frenchman Bay to Bar Harbor or about an hour drive away. It is much quieter than the Bar Harbor side but is a very natural area with good hiking and biking. Also, on the way up Wolf’s Neck Campground in Freeport is an interesting place with hookups, and Camden Hills State Park has some hookups and is close to Camden, also an interesting if somewhat touristy town. It’s about 1.5 to 2 hours on Rt 1 from Wolf’s Neck to Camden and then mainly on Rt 1 a bit over 2 hrs. to Schoodic.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
In Bar Harbor, go to the grocery store and ask for a lobster, they will cook it for you. In summer '18 it was $6.99/lb.

On the edge of Maine, Sunset point campground is a gem--the one in LUBEC not the one in Harrington with the same name. Very nice owners who kept my wine/liquor/pepper spray for 3 weeks while I went into various Canadian destinations. Don't miss the trip to Campobello, FDR's summer home.

Just outside Ashville is Mama Gertie's, which is nice. Ask for up on the hill and make reservations in advance, it is very busy in fall.

Gordonville, PA Country Acres. They offer a free 2 hr small bus tour of Amish areas/dairy, etc.

The KOA in Louray, PA was an unexpected stop as I was sick and waiting for meds to act...it was pricey but very nice and a welcome port in a storm. I can recommend the ER there, as well. Dan's steakhouse nearby was great.

Lynchburg/Blue Ridge Parkway KOA was a great find, very friendly couple and their son, nice site with water/elec/sewer $40 in '18.

Forgot to say it's worth a trip to the LL Bean complex in Freeport, Maine. Limited RV parking so perhaps best to plan a stop early in the day. And I think there's an outlet (MUCH smaller) sorta near Bar Harbor.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol5.0 View Post
Schoodic Woods Campground in Arcadia NP is a great destination. It is a relatively new campground on Schoodic Peninsula near Winter Haven with both water and/or electric hookups, with very nice new bathrooms. It is not on Mount Desert Island but there is a small ferry across Frenchman Bay to Bar Harbor or about an hour drive away. It is much quieter than the Bar Harbor side but is a very natural area with good hiking and biking. Also, on the way up Wolf’s Neck Campground in Freeport is an interesting place with hookups, and Camden Hills State Park has some hookups and is close to Camden, also an interesting if somewhat touristy town. It’s about 1.5 to 2 hours on Rt 1 from Wolf’s Neck to Camden and then mainly on Rt 1 a bit over 2 hrs. to Schoodic.
Thanks so much George! Will definitely have those on my list.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
In Bar Harbor, go to the grocery store and ask for a lobster, they will cook it for you. In summer '18 it was $6.99/lb.

On the edge of Maine, Sunset point campground is a gem--the one in LUBEC not the one in Harrington with the same name. Very nice owners who kept my wine/liquor/pepper spray for 3 weeks while I went into various Canadian destinations. Don't miss the trip to Campobello, FDR's summer home.

Just outside Ashville is Mama Gertie's, which is nice. Ask for up on the hill and make reservations in advance, it is very busy in fall.

Gordonville, PA Country Acres. They offer a free 2 hr small bus tour of Amish areas/dairy, etc.

The KOA in Louray, PA was an unexpected stop as I was sick and waiting for meds to act...it was pricey but very nice and a welcome port in a storm. I can recommend the ER there, as well. Dan's steakhouse nearby was great.

Lynchburg/Blue Ridge Parkway KOA was a great find, very friendly couple and their son, nice site with water/elec/sewer $40 in '18.

Forgot to say it's worth a trip to the LL Bean complex in Freeport, Maine. Limited RV parking so perhaps best to plan a stop early in the day. And I think there's an outlet (MUCH smaller) sorta near Bar Harbor.
Wow! Thanks for so much great info. Looks like lots of great stops all the way up!
Sorry you got sick. Sounds like you found a good place to get help.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Thank you for the kind words. All things considered, it turned out fine, just a couple days' rest. And I ended up camped next to another solo woman, a dear heart, and we hung out and campfired and chatted for the duration. So once again a detour that serendipitously turned out to be fantastic.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Depending where in GA you are, we go to Athens from York PA and take I-81. There are also a few KOA's along the highway in VA, all are fine for a night.

We spend a night at Panther Creek State Park when TN if we can, or there are several KOA's along 81 in VA. They all work fine for a night if you want a campground as opposed to Walmart or some such.

We've used Beacon Hills CG in Ronks PA, next to Lancaster, they say it's for adults if that comes into play. In the middle of Amish country, so close you can smell the cows across the street. Take any of the smaller back roads in pretty much any direction and you can experience the real thing, just don't act like a tourist. All the CG's in the area are fairly expensive and crowded, all that I've stayed at have full hookups. You will need reservations. 340 has a lot of Amish stuff, stores and such.

Hershey is about an hour away. It's worth walking around town and hitting some of the touristy things, especially a stop at the Hershey Store next to the park.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Depending where in GA you are, we go to Athens from York PA and take I-81. There are also a few KOA's along the highway in VA, all are fine for a night.

We spend a night at Panther Creek State Park when TN if we can, or there are several KOA's along 81 in VA. They all work fine for a night if you want a campground as opposed to Walmart or some such.

We've used Beacon Hills CG in Ronks PA, next to Lancaster, they say it's for adults if that comes into play. In the middle of Amish country, so close you can smell the cows across the street. Take any of the smaller back roads in pretty much any direction and you can experience the real thing, just don't act like a tourist. All the CG's in the area are fairly expensive and crowded, all that I've stayed at have full hookups. You will need reservations. 340 has a lot of Amish stuff, stores and such.

Hershey is about an hour away. It's worth walking around town and hitting some of the touristy things, especially a stop at the Hershey Store next to the park.
Thanks Bob! Those are excellent ideas! Appreciate you sharing!

Old 09-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #9

Camp sites in New England can be hard to come by if it's leaf season, which is most of October, book early.

Can't help with campgrounds in ME, we don't look for hookups.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There are 2 KOA's near Acadia and lobster cooked and brought to your site in the cg is commonplace. Also the lobster rolls are delicious.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Camp sites in New England can be hard to come by if it's leaf season, which is most of October, book early.
How is early to mid September? Would love to see the leaves... not sure we can delay our time tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There are 2 KOA's near Acadia and lobster cooked and brought to your site in the cg is commonplace. Also the lobster rolls are delicious.
I'm hungry already. Thanks for the tip.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:34 AM   #12

Can't tell if you are asking about campgrounds or leaves. To me Sept is the best time for ME if it's not a rainy year. We always went after Labor Day.

Leaves will have changed in pockets, usually low spots, and the odd tree here and there unless you go farther north.

Campgrounds. Used to be they closed sometime Labor Day thru Columbus Day. I'd call a few and ask, things have changed since we went.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #13

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Camden Hills State Park is pretty nice. We normally make our reservations in Feb when they first open up for later in the season.

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/camping/pdf/Camden.pdf

Wild Maine Blueberries usually are harvested in August. Keep that in mind.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Can't tell if you are asking about campgrounds or leaves. To me Sept is the best time for ME if it's not a rainy year. We always went after Labor Day.

Leaves will have changed in pockets, usually low spots, and the odd tree here and there unless you go farther north.

Campgrounds. Used to be they closed sometime Labor Day thru Columbus Day. I'd call a few and ask, things have changed since we went.
Thanks Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
Camden Hills State Park is pretty nice. We normally make our reservations in Feb when they first open up for later in the season.

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/camping/pdf/Camden.pdf

Wild Maine Blueberries usually are harvested in August. Keep that in mind.
Thanks Randy!