North...to Alaska - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
When we did the ferry trip (south) in 2007, they were offering 1/2 price cabins every day. Something to think about if you don't really need a cabin but wouldn't mind having one.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #22

Trailer: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel108 View Post
I believe we have zero deductible on glass but I'll verify. The bigger concern for me is that I'm driving a Land Rover and the nearest dealer is in Vancouver, so a serious breakdown could be a major problem. I've just put $5000 worth of service into it (that was all little stuff). The mechanics say it is good to go though
Even brand new vehicles break down. As long as your Land Rover has been reliable and is in good condition I would not be concerned going with it.
Sgonyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Daniel108, We have taken our Escape 15B up through that country twice. (Have flown to Alaska the other six times. You can see our 2102 driving trip here:
https://twohikers.smugmug.com/Alaska...htoAlaska2012/

Our 2017 trip, which also involved taking the ferry from Bellingham to Skagway is here:
https://twohikers.smugmug.com/Alaska-Canada-and-Hawaii (note the three 2017 Albums)

Having driven with a trailer 4x from Whitehorse to Tok (or the other way), I would say that Tok to Whitehorse would be a very long day. Tok to Destruction Bay is slower going, due to a lot of frost heaves. Our solution has been to stop at the Cottonwood RV Park near Kluane Nat'l Park
rajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
I'm working on plans for driving from Portland, OR to Alaska this summer. This will be our first trip out of state with our new 21' (picking up in a couple weeks). I'd love to get some helpful advice. A few questions:

1. Should I just look for my US credit card with the lowest foreign transaction fee and use that to pay for gas, or is there a better way? I'm estimating about $2000 worth of fuel. I guess you need a chip reader in Canada but otherwise it should just be the same as the US.

2. I'm trying to budget about 250 miles per day, assuming that to be a relatively easy ~5 hours of driving. I think the longest day I have scheduled is Tok to Whitehorse at 386 miles. I'm budgeting 1 month for this entire trip. Seem reasonable?

3. I'm hoping we can take the ferry from Whittier to Valdez but the ferry website doesn't show any way to make a reservation at this point, and it's not clear they will take us with our trailer or not. Any experience?

We are planning the Cassiar northbound and Alaska Hwy/Jasper/Banff on the way back.

Thanks!
I wonder if the border will be open this summer it’s true that Americans can go into Canada right now but the way I understand that they have to quarantine for 14 days does that mean we have to stay in a motel or park our RVs for 14 days before we continue through Canada? I’m not sure the borders will be open this summer with a pandemic going on I had planned on driving through Canada this summer myself now I’m not sure .
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #25

Trailer: None
Quote:
I'm working on plans for driving from Portland, OR to Alaska this summer. This will be our first trip out of state with our new 21' (picking up in a couple weeks). I'd love to get some helpful advice. A few questions:

1. Should I just look for my US credit card with the lowest foreign transaction fee and use that to pay for gas, or is there a better way? I'm estimating about $2000 worth of fuel. I guess you need a chip reader in Canada but otherwise it should just be the same as the US.

2. I'm trying to budget about 250 miles per day, assuming that to be a relatively easy ~5 hours of driving. I think the longest day I have scheduled is Tok to Whitehorse at 386 miles. I'm budgeting 1 month for this entire trip. Seem reasonable?

3. I'm hoping we can take the ferry from Whittier to Valdez but the ferry website doesn't show any way to make a reservation at this point, and it's not clear they will take us with our trailer or not. Any experience?

We are planning the Cassiar northbound and Alaska Hwy/Jasper/Banff on the way back.

Thanks!
Prime Minister Justine Treadeau and President Trump just closed the Canadian US Border to ALL cross border traffic (except commercial traffic) for an undetermined length of time. You may want to reconsider your travel plans!
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
Yeah it's up in the air right now. My employer has allowed me to delay my sabbatical by a year so we could put it off although we have plans for 2021 also. We will see what happens in the next few weeks.

We picked up the trailer two days ago at Sumas and made the drive home. I noticed that on the highway with the cruise set at 60 it was pretty easy going (other than a couple of incidents). On the other hand, the back roads we took through Washington were more stressful, with a lot of rough riding, even though the speeds were much lower. It gives me the impression that long days of driving on rough roads, with few break days, will make for a hard trip. Smooth roads make a lot of difference in my stress level.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What kind of distances are you talking? When we do back roads it's for shorter days, we use the highways when we need to make time. Long days for us are 7ish hours.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #28

The plan I drew up averages about 250 miles per day. On smooth roads at 50-60 mph that seems like an easy day with plenty of time to enjoy the environment. But if the roads are rough the trailer tends to shake the vehicle around, which makes it less comfortable and tends to stress me out, and of course we slow down. So it's not just time but how enjoyable is the time. I've heard roads can be good in stretches but also they can be pretty bad, so it's hard to know whether a 250 mile drive would be relatively easy and enjoyable or a day long ordeal. Having a long day or two isn't a problem but a long series of them is not the kind of vacation I would plan.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #29

Just out of curiosity, what are you towing with and do you use a weight distribution hitch?
Old 03-25-2020, 02:21 PM   #30

Land Rover LR4. No WDH (not recommended - has self-leveling air suspension).
Old 03-25-2020, 06:12 PM   #31

I was just wondering if a WDH would take out some of the bounce of the trailer, so much for that idea.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are you towing with and do you use a weight distribution hitch?
You might want to find someone (personal or company) that will let you try out a stabilizing hitch before purchase. An anti sway/weight distribution system can make a bigger difference than just a tow vehicle leveling system.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #33

I'm checking with the Shocker Hitch people to see if it would be compatible with my vehicle (possible clearance issues). The LR4 has all kinds of electronic wizardry that detects the trailer and adjusts the suspension, prevents trailer sway, etc., which is not designed and tested for a WDH setup. Also I'm not sure I would trust the receiver for those stresses.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I store my trailer in Washington State and was planning a quick trip to go retrive it and bring back to Juneau. I cancelled my plans …. originally because of the outbreak in the greater Seattle area. Now Juneau anyway is closing down and allowing in only necessary airline travel and private and commercial fishing boats. We are talking of closing these down as well.

This might sound harsh but please do not come to Alaska this year or while this virus is ranging. None of our small towns have adequate medical facilities to take care of local people under these circumstances let alone visitors …. especially when visitors could be bringing this illness with them and infecting us. At this time, YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE. I doubt that even if you can get across the border into Canada, you would be welcome there.

Time to think about others and change your plans!

Tom …. and I'm not a bit ashamed about what I have just written …. STAY HOME
Old 03-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Washington state parks closed until the end of April and the border with Canada now closed ...