Off to Sumas for pickup - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2020, 10:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Off to Sumas for pickup

Left Albany, NY on Jun 27th on our way to pick up our Escape 19. First stop South Bend, IN Click image for larger version

Name:	trip8.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	48466 Notre Dame Univ. Then, 6/28 Sioux Falls, SD; 6/29 Buffalo, WY; 6/30 Missoula, MT; 7/1 Bellingham, WA. Pick up at Bob's Burgers on Jul 2nd. Click image for larger version

Name:	trip9.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	48474 Click image for larger version

Name:	trip5.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	48467 Click image for larger version

Name:	trip6.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	48468 Originally scheduled for pick up on Jun 29th, but changed to Jul 2nd by Escape (Jul 1st Canadian Holiday). Initially wanted to camp in local area, but had reservations at Custer State Park. So, needed to get moving. Traveled to Spokane, WA first day.
Billings, MT 7/3; Custer, SD 7/4 Click image for larger version

Name:	trip4.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	48469. Visited Custer State Park 7/5 Click image for larger version

Name:	trip3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	48470; Click image for larger version

Name:	trip2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	48471. While in Custer we lived through two thunder storms with pea-sized hail. Was eager to find out how the fiberglass roof and solar panels held up, but had to wait until we got home. Turns out-no problems, no dings or damage. Both going out and returning went by the Badlands National Park Click image for larger version

Name:	trip1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	48472 and Wall Drug. 7/6 Shelby, IA; 7/7 Pokagon State Park, IN; 7/8 Family near Buffalo, NY; 7/9 Home. A great trip. Broke out of quarantine! We wore masks, well, me not so much, but my wife religiously. Used hand sanitizer after each fuel stop, and washed hands frequently. Many other people along the way did not use face masks. Stayed at Choice Hotel units on the way out. Overall cost including gas, food, and hotel/campgrounds less than $2,000. Would have been $3,000 for delivery. This my first post, so hope it works.
jth523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:09 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
JTH,

Great post. Now everyone will want to know how your truck did, mpg going out and returning, speeds you travelled, how all the systems worked on the Escape, and what kind of places you stayed on the way back.

And before the Administrator reminds you, it would be a good time to update your avatar.

If you ever need Escape or truck advice, one of the most experienced Escape travelers lives in Oswego, NY.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
What? What? You passed within 20 miles of Iowa Dave and didn’t stop for a beer? The shame. Sounds like a great trip and seamless pickup and. Break in trip. Best of luck with your new rig. Keep posting and taking pictures, the Covid 19 is like being grounded when I was a kid, so we’re camping through your eyes.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-10-2020, 07:26 AM   #4

2011 Toyota Tacoma, V6 4X4 with factory Tow Package. Got 19-20 MPG average on the way out; 13-14 MPG towing on the way back, dependent on wind, hills/mountains. Had the E2 Fastway hitch installed by Escape. Trailer towed great; could see down the sides of the trailer without mirror extensions. Towing speed averaged 62-70 MPH which affected average MPG. Definitely check your wheel lugs as they do loosen up somewhat. Also, had a thermometer for checking wheels for possible wheel bearing problems; no problems. Very pleased with our new Escape 19. The 5 cu ft refrigerator had a tough time staying cold (temp got up to 47 deg from previous 37 deg) when outside temps were in the mid-90's. Had setting at level 4. Had the refrig fan ordered, but it came as a unit in a package.
I thought it was a fan permanently installed to dissipate excess heat. Still have to figure out how to use (still in the package). Entry door set to opening approx 120 deg from closed. Did not like trying to close with the door being heavy. Readjusted the degree of opening to just over 90 deg; made it easier to manage. Escape included a screwdriver with several different bits (including a couple square end bits) which came in handy. The digital thermostat for the A/C is a little tricky. At one point the A/C would not come on when selected. I thought that a circuit breaker had tripped, but all were good. Went through the cycle of off to furnace and it started working again. A work in progress for me. Dave, I could have used a cold beer about then. I obviously missed a great opportunity. We did stop at the World Famous I-80 truck stop. We stayed at several KOA's coming home as it was very easy to find them and make reservations. We are not KOA users usually because we never use all the facilities available at these resort campgrounds. To me they appeal more to families with children. I have not adjusted the brakes on the trailer which is recommended after so many miles (no opportunity on this long trip). Everything seemed to work well with no problems. I had the foam applied to the undercarriage. I see that the labels on the axles are visible, so I plan to take a picture of them for future reference if needed. I wish that I could visually see the fresh water tank, but I think that the foam hides it from view. A long, rambling reply, but hope it has meaning for some. Love the camper!
Old 07-10-2020, 08:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Great report, JT. Ramble on, looking good.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Jim in New York, from Jim in Pennsylvania. We have done that trip twice now, and both times hit hail out west. We had to stop and park between 2 semi's for protection once. Now that you are home keep an eye on the Niagara Rally in September depending on the border situation. I see a beer in your future with Iowa Dave and myself........ oh, let's not forget Alf, he loves Yuengling Light.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Time to update your trailer description! Glad you had a good pick up trip.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Time to update your trailer description! Glad you had a good pick up trip.
I tried to edit my details, hit save changes, and get a screen saying my session has expired. The changes were not saved.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth523 View Post
I tried to edit my details, hit save changes, and get a screen saying my session has expired. The changes were not saved.
Work faster............
Old 07-10-2020, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Work faster............
Not quite that easy. The screen says my session has expired, log in again, but I was still logged in, and had not taken long in editing my details.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Speed

Covering the country you did I’m pretty sure you are probably faster than the uptake on the forum.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth523 View Post
Not quite that easy. The screen says my session has expired, log in again, but I was still logged in, and had not taken long in editing my details.
Try logging out, clear your cache and log back in, if not successful go here https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f31/
Old 07-10-2020, 08:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Try logging out, clear your cache and log back in, if not successful go here https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f31/
Thank you, Jim. Logging out, then back in, worked!