Online booking for Arizona State Parks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Online booking for Arizona State Parks

Yesterday I became aware that reserving sites in Arizona State Parks can be done as early as a year ahead. With that news I got busy online to book a site at one of the most popular parks in Arizona, Lost Dutchman State Park. After spending well over an hour and double checking it became clear to me that all the sites were already booked for that time period.
Not one to give up easily I phoned the reservation line. Wouldn’t you know, the agent was able to find for me what I was unable to find online. Why, I don’t really know however I was very pleased with the end result!
Old 03-16-2018, 08:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
What is the draw of Lost Dutchman State Park? I only stayed at one State Park in AZ this year, and that was Dead Horse Creek, which was quite nice, with good access to lots of things from Sedona to Jerome and other sights.

Just trying to learn more for my next trip down.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Reminds me of a friend who reminded me to call United when trying to book a reservation. They do have a different view than we do online evidently. Not so with American apparently. Glad you got your spot.

We stayed there at the end of a trip last March; just showed up and there were several openings. We liked the "overflow" the best.

I guess people like the mountain behind and the hiking. We won't go again- too crowded and noisy with early AM planes.

To me the RV lobby in AZ is way too powerful and the state needs to address the serious need for more public campgrounds. And the Feds need to re-open some they have closed for no good reason(Beaver Creek for one) and to not needlessly close loops during winter(Prescott).
Old 03-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
A group of a-framers meet the first wkend in march at dead horse ranch state park--next year will be the 6th year. All campers regardless of accommodations are welcome. We typically reserve while we are there for the next year. You do have to pay up front, but the nice thing is that if you cancel, you get it all back except a $5 fee.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Jon has a picture he took of his 17 with the Superstition Mts behind him, that's Lost Dutchman. It's access to the mt and the view that are the draw. It's also at the entrance to Tonto National Forest with Roosevelt Lake.

We stayed there last year and found it gets jammed full of folks going hiking that are from the Phoenix mega city, or whatever you call the metro area.

We found some National Forest CG'S around the lake, and also Maricopa county parks campgrounds that we like better. The county park cg's fill up too, you need to make reservation's 6 months ahead. A number of the snowbirds have found they can game the reservation system and spend the whole winter in them making it harder to get in, hence the need to get your reservations early.

If you are a mt biker, the county parks are hard to beat, especially McDowell, where we are this week.

Catalina and Dead Horse SP'S fill up right away too, all have overflows, Lost Dutchman's being as nice or nicer then the regular CG, it's also hard to get a spot in.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What is the draw of Lost Dutchman State Park? I only stayed at one State Park in AZ this year, and that was Dead Horse Creek, which was quite nice, with good access to lots of things from Sedona to Jerome and other sights.

Just trying to learn more for my next trip down.
If you get the right site, the view behind your trailer. This is a photo from last year. I have a bunch that Bob mentioned from a 2013 visit on my journal starting here. A beautiful mountain!

Old 03-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you get the right site, the view behind your trailer. This is a photo from last year. I have a bunch that Bob mentioned from a 2013 visit on my journal starting here. A beautiful mountain!

Now that's a great reason. I had done a Google map look at the campground, and all I saw was a bunch of development around it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote