Oregon Ripoff! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Oregon Ripoff!

Went to Oregon last month and first day in on 8/29 got stopped by Klamath Deptuy Dog(Woof!) on HWY 97 for failing to stop at a boat inspection. Rinky-dink sign said all "Water craft" must stop for inspection. We were surprised to see someone pulling into the rest stop area as they did not seem to have a boat. We cruised on and 4-5 miles later saw the red lights. "We don't have a boat" said I. "What's that on top?" said da Dog. Kayak- "You mean the one we just bought at Costco?" "Follow me". High School girls with clipboard said no big deal...."Where have you been", blah, blah- "oh, by the way you need to get an invasive species permit at Dick's or somewhere to put that 10'+ Kayak in our water". Oh. Then Deputy Dog**** gives me a citation for $110.

Called the MIC in Portland and he admitted they tried to get specific wording on the signs as to who needed to stop but DOT said it was "too wordy". Evidently not for WA as they clearly state who needs to stop for their inspections. BTW, surfboards also need to stop for this inspection. What a bunch of crap.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Well, a kayak is a canoe, and a canoe is a watercraft.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
That is crazy, especially seeing it was new. Glad my canoe will be deflated a be stowed away.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That is crazy, especially seeing it was new. Glad my canoe will be deflated a be stowed away.
How are the authorities supposed to know that it is new at 60 MPH?
We have dozens of lakes that are full of milfoil weed because dirty boats are moved from one lake to another. Costs millions to remove the stuff.

http://www.csrd.bc.ca/services/milfoil-control-2
Old 09-24-2016, 12:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Glad my canoe will be deflated a be stowed away.
It it a risk, too (although I don't seriously expect anyone to stop for this), since it carries the same invasive species as a rigid-hulled boat. My guess is that you clean it after each use, Jim, but everyone is supposed to clean their boats and many do not... which is why there are inspections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Exactly. If a trucker has just done maintenance on his truck, is he allowed to decide for himself that an inspection is not required? No.

I'm impressed that the officer picked a kayak on the tug hauling a travel trailer out of the traffic.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:44 AM   #6

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Sounds like it would have been an ideal time to educate instead of being a bit of an a** and giving a substantial ticket.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Sounds like it would have been an ideal time to educate instead of being a bit of an a** and giving a substantial ticket.
They may have already done that for who knows how long.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:37 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I sometimes wonder as I cruise on past, if I'm supposed to stop at the truck stops that say "trailers" on the signage.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Rossue... Didn't I read some where that RV's need to stop for inspection by "Caulifornia" Dept. of Agriculture. RV water levels, on leaving the state, must not exceed entry levels. Wonder what the fine would be for not stopping or taking out more than you brought in?
"Read my lips... No new taxes"... but FEES and FINES now there's a whole new kettle of fish!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I was referring to after they caught up to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It it a risk, too (although I don't seriously expect anyone to stop for this), since it carries the same invasive species as a rigid-hulled boat. My guess is that you clean it after each use, Jim, but everyone is supposed to clean their boats and many do not... which is why there are inspections.
I have only used it twice now, and did clean it off. Dried fish guts are not too pleasurable when unfolded again.

I have never seen an inspection for boats before. I have seen the signs when coming into Alberta from BC to check your boat for milfoil. Just saying I would be very peeved if I got a ticket for something like what Ross got. A warning and explanation of what to do maybe.

On the note of what to do. What is one to do?

I have to plead ignorance on this. What are the inspectors looking for, this milfoil stuff? Is there some requirement to wash your boat? Most times canoeing, other than a bit of dirt (or fish guts) in the bottom of the canoe, it comes out of the water cleaner than it went in, though most waters I have canoed in are very clean and clear, water I usually just drink straight from.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:04 AM   #11

When stand-up paddle boards and even surfboards are subject to this mandatory inspection it seems that the program is paid for in part by unsuspecting motorists that don't have any intent of breaking the law but nevertheless are slapped with a fine greater than a speeding ticket in many states.

I asked the MIC in Portland if they had ever found any quagga mussels in a kayak and he quickly said "yes- once, on the rudder of an ocean kayak".
He was surprised that the inspectors did not have me remove the kayak so they could actually inspect it. So much for real intent there.

Given that CA to the south has no mandatory inspection- although it has an agricultural inspection that no one can accidentally bypass- and the fact that WA clearly states what type of watercraft needs to be inspected- and the fact Oregon has no sales tax makes me think this is a "gotcha" station like a speed trap devised primarily to gain revenue-mostly from out of state tourists.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
He was surprised that the inspectors did not have me remove the kayak so they could actually inspect it. So much for real intent there.
This part I totally agree with Ross. The fact that you were fined for not stopping to have it inspected, and yet, once in the presence of inspectors, they didn't even bother, tells me it's a more a revenue scheme than a means of protecting the waterways.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
This part I totally agree with Ross. The fact that you were fined for not stopping to have it inspected, and yet, once in the presence of inspectors, they didn't even bother, tells me it's a more a revenue scheme than a means of protecting the waterways.

While the higher-up bureaucrats recognize the dollar value of these types of activities, I tend to think that the less than thorough inspection was more likely lazy inspectors. As in many such things, the original intent is warranted, but the execution of that intent was not done with as much thought.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"While the higher-up bureaucrats recognize the dollar value of these types of activities, I tend to think that the less than thorough inspection was more likely lazy inspectors. As in many such things, the original intent is warranted, but the execution of that intent was not done with as much thought..."

Deep water translation: There are horses asses in every agency.
Attached Thumbnails
horsing1.jpg  
Old 09-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
While the higher-up bureaucrats recognize the dollar value of these types of activities, I tend to think that the less than thorough inspection was more likely lazy inspectors. As in many such things, the original intent is warranted, but the execution of that intent was not done with as much thought.
That's a valid point.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #16

I don't think they were being lazy- they were earnest fresh-faced young college grads who seemed into the relevance of what they were doing. I think they were maybe a little embarrassed that the young deputy dog dude with a decided smirk went 10 miles round trip to bring this perpetrator to justice.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I live close to one of the most aggressively protected lakes on the planet part time -- Lake Tahoe, and although all trailerable and/or motorized boats need to be inspected, if you can carry it you don't have to get an inspection tag. You can expect to be approached randomly by inspectors, but no inspection tag is necessary, and as long as you answer the questions about self-inspection properly when approached you are fine.

I'm with the OP on this one because I never would have expected that there is a state that has tighter rules in place than Tahoe! Thanks for posting, because I wouldn't have stopped either.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 ft
Smile zebra and quagga mussels

While I can't comment on the fact that a fine was levied. Inspection and education is one of the tools being used to prevent the spread of alien invasive species.

I know in British Columbia there has been a concerted effort to prevent the spread of zebra and quagga mussels into our province. That work is being done, in part, through roadside inspections that can include quarantine of boats from areas known to have existing populations of these invasive species.

It really is up to all of us as we move around north america to try and prevent the spread of invasive species... both aquatic and terrestrial. Keeping our trailers clean, ensuring our boats are drained, washed and dry before we transport them is important. There are some significant risks to our economy and environment from many alien invasive species.

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hra/invasi...usselfacts.htm

Enjoy beautiful BC just don't bring and unwanted alien invaders. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/im...cons/icon7.gif

Richard.
RTRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I have never seen an inspection for boats before. I have seen the signs when coming into Alberta from BC to check your boat for milfoil.
On the note of what to do. What is one to do?

I have to plead ignorance on this. What are the inspectors looking for, this milfoil stuff? Is there some requirement to wash your boat?
Yes, wash your boat.
Alberta Parks | Aquatic Invasive Species
Invasive Species | AEP - Environment and Parks

Since the purpose is to prevent the spread of invasive species, the situation in which cleaning is important is when leaving an infected area... whether or not you realize it is infected. Bringing a boat back to Alberta from B.C. is a perfect example, which is why those signs were there.

I have only brought a boat (a canoe) into Alberta from B.C. once; it was clean and dry.

The lack of inspections in Alberta just indicates that enforcement has not yet been required. No one inspects incoming RVs for rats, either, but with substantial efforts the province has managed to stay essentially free of those.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
..and because they didn't actually inspect a boat once they saw that it was brand-new and never used?
Yes, but how could they see that it was "brand new and never used" unless they inspected it? They basically took Ross' word for it. I think a warning would have been much more appropriate. Yes, there is such a thing as law, but there is also such a thing as intent to circumvent it. I don't see that here. I mean, it's not like speeding where the posted limits are seen every couple of miles, and the rules are easy to understand.

When I was in law enforcement, the intent and attitude of the "violator" went a long way in helping determine my enforcement level.