Pick up new Escape in April? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There really is no need to go to Chilliwack, my first 2 Escapes were delivered and everything was handled by mail/email. Escape has to bring the trailer across the border to Sumas where you physically take possession, you really do not have to enter Canada, nor go to Chilliwack.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:00 PM   #42

Hopefully Karl or someone will post here and/or website clarification to clear the angst everyone is feeling.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #43

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There really is no need to go to Chilliwack, my first 2 Escapes were delivered and everything was handled by mail/email. Escape has to bring the trailer across the border to Sumas where you physically take possession, you really do not have to enter Canada, nor go to Chilliwack.
Thanks for the information! We were going to have some items installed while at the orientation.
For example, I need the existing and extra grab bars installed in different locations, for my small stature and ergonomic reasons.

I suppose that these, as well as the other items could be installed/attached by my DH.
So, meeting at Sumas could work well!
Thanks again!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:15 PM   #44

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
If the border was to close I can't ever see it closing to commercial traffic as so much trade is done between the US and Canada. When Escape crosses the border at Sumas, with a trailer for importation to the US, they cross using the commercial lanes. I would surmise that if you really were that keen to get your trailer while the panic is ensuing then they would be able to cross with the trailer and leave it at Bobs Burger and Brew with the keys and an orientation video in the trailer and then drive off.

Personally though I'd wait for the panic to subside, then you can pick it up at your leisure and also be able to buy toilet paper to use for the trip back home.

The threat is real but it's not the end of the world ........... or is it.
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:25 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
They currently deliver to Sumas. Trudeau said border will stay open to commerce and trade.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
We are scheduled for pickup on the 23rd of March. We live in Portland so it's a 1 day drive up there and we could take delivery on the US side of the border, which is probably what we will wind up doing. We have hotels and campground reservations in Canada that would have to be cancelled. I believe at this point we could still go across, and if that is the situation on the 23rd we will might do that but not stay in Canada. My wife is not a US citizen although she is a permanent resident - usually rules that apply to citizens are extended to permanent residents as well but it's a risk. This will be our first trailer so I was looking forward to having the orientation talk, but I've seen the videos so I guess it would not be essential. With the kids off from school we could head any time but we will hold the schedule for now other than we wouldn't go up there early anymore.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #47

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
We have a 3/27 orientation appointment but we are trying to move that up. We will skip orientation if we have to. Based on the information released today the border is closed except for commerce and trade and Canadian and American citizens. I am awaiting word on when they can accomodate us so we can go early. It helps that we will be leaving from SLC which is a 2 day drive, but it can be done in one day.
Glens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:23 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
... do you know if ETI is working on some alternative plan to get the trailers across the border, “in case”? Such as, delivery to Sumas?
Delivery to Sumas is normal for U.S. customers, but if those customers cannot (at some point in the future) enter Canada, they would need to skip the usual factory orientation. Whether or not ETI can get trailers into the U.S. depends entirely on decisions of the U.S. federal government, not the Canadian government.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Delivery to Sumas is normal for U.S. customers, but if those customers cannot (at some point in the future) enter Canada, they would need to skip the usual factory orientation. Whether or not ETI can get trailers into the U.S. depends entirely on decisions of the U.S. federal government, not the Canadian government.
Great point, and logical perspective.
As this all progresses, we’ll just keep abreast of the news, and go from there.

Good luck to everyone who are trying to get their new Escapes!
Stay healthy!
Old 03-16-2020, 06:43 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
They currently deliver to Sumas. Trudeau said border will stay open to commerce and trade.
Yes! We just received an email from Karl stating that they’ll meet people in Sumas. Of course, this will depend on the restrictions at that time in place from the US or Canada.
Thanks for the info!
Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 PM   #51

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Our E19 is complete but we planned to pick up close in time to the rally so we could see everyone else's trailer, and besides, we live in the south and wanted to wait out any risk of snow or ice. In our blissfully ignorant state of 3 weeks ago we spread maps out all over the dining room table and strategized as to where we wanted to visit on the trip from Mississippi to BC (without a trailer) and then where we would camp on the way home. Well.... now it looks like it might be a grab and go scenario. It's a 2,700 mile drive so I'm concerned that we'd get 3/4 of the way there and then have the rules change (as they're doing daily). So at this point we're sitting tight and trying to be patient. If the rally gets canceled then it doesn't really matter when we pick up, but I'd sure like sooner than later!
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:05 AM   #52

Valerie, see#24, if yours is complete....good luck.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:14 PM   #53

Trailer: 2020 E19
We were set to pick up and attend orientation this Friday. We were told that the orientation has been shortened to a brief trailer hitching review so we decided to skip it and pick up in Sumas instead. It sure is a different trip than we planned when we placed our order. Oh well, first world problem I guess.
TV Audi Q7 TDI
kdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #54

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Our pud?

WE are scheduled for PU on 4/27 and I hoped this mess wd be settled by then but it is looking like it may not be. I suppose we could forego the last minute additions ETI was supposed to do..TV mount and a couple of Umbra hooks, but dang. I really wanted a factory tech to do them bks of locations,., support on walls etc. The most important thing was to be a careful factory orientation with the new (to us) WD hitch system. WE have a 2500 mile trip planned for getting her home and I'd sure like a decent orientation. We will see.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #55

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Heard on newscast that how this border closing is handled will be up to the individual border agent to determine if your visit is necessary or for trade and commerce. So, you could just try to be nice to him. And, I'd monitor the forum to see what other encounter in the meantime. Don't give up.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #56

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21' on order to be pulled by 2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost
We are scheduled for May 12, but since it's a long way from TX, we will push back to later, if we have to. We do want them to install our table pedestal. Trip up there was gonna be fun, but the places and people we were going to visit on the way will be there later, so we are just waiting and seeing.
GaryandEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
WE are scheduled for PU on 4/27 and I hoped this mess wd be settled by then but it is looking like it may not be. I suppose we could forego the last minute additions ETI was supposed to do..TV mount and a couple of Umbra hooks, but dang. I really wanted a factory tech to do them bks of locations,., support on walls etc. The most important thing was to be a careful factory orientation with the new (to us) WD hitch system. WE have a 2500 mile trip planned for getting her home and I'd sure like a decent orientation. We will see.
Did you reinforce any of your walls? If so these items can be mounted anywhere you choose. If no reinforcement then most corners will have a "stud" along the edge where things can be mounted, just like in your house.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:29 AM   #58

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Did you reinforce any of your walls? If so these items can be mounted anywhere you choose. If no reinforcement then most corners will have a "stud" along the edge where things can be mounted, just like in your house.
When we did the build sheet back in the fall, there was no mention of reinforced walls. I was aware of it, but it slipped my mind. Oh well, I can come up with something.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:08 AM   #59

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Unhappy Schedule??

Acc to the e-mail I just got from Dustin at ETI, there will be no more crossing the border for orientations for a undetermined future. Deliveries will be at Sumas. OTOH this frees us from the problem of what to do with stuff, tools and things which cannot go to Canada..fwiw.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:17 AM   #60

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:

I wonder if ETI would consider sending a technician as the Sumas delivery driver, who could then do the routine small installs, eg umbra hooks, pedestal bases, grab handles, TV mounts at the Sumas pickup?