Pick up new Escape in April? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2020, 09:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Pick up new Escape in April?

Just wondering if anyone is changing their plans to pick up their new Escape?

We are scheduled to pick our new 21‘ in on April 21. For those of you with appointments coming up, are you changing your plans at all?

Do you think park closures will be expanded? especially in Washington state?
Anything else that could Interfere with the trip up to Chilliwack?
Has anyone postponed their travel until much later in the spring or summer?
Thank you!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Just wondering if anyone is changing their plans to pick up their new Escape?

We are scheduled to pick our new 21‘ in on April 21. For those of you with appointments coming up, are you changing your plans at all?

Do you think park closures will be expanded? especially in Washington state?
Anything else that could Interfere with the trip up to Chilliwack?
Has anyone postponed their travel until much later in the spring or summer?
Thank you!
Washington currently does not have park closures but I'm watching closely! But really, nobody knows. I think when we get closer you'll have a better idea. Probably in a week you'll have a better idea.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Things are changing by the minute. I wouldn’t bet the farm on several factors
that could inhibit long trips. Probably know more in a few days. But things are cranking down that’s for sure.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Illinois has closed its State Parks and campgrounds along with all bars and restaurants
Several other states have closed portions of their state parks
I would believe there will be more states announcing similar bans and restrictions along with the Federal Government
In two to three week we should have a better idea where we’re headed
We have rally reservations for early May but if we can’t attend it’s not the end of the world
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I’m not trying to be negative here, but there is always a possibility that the U.S./Canadian border could be closed by April, and could remain closed for an indefinite time. If that were to happen, no U.S. citizen will be traveling to Chilliwack or Osoyoos.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21' on order to be pulled by 2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost
We haven't changed our plans yet for May pickup. We think it will be clearer in a month from now. Reserving our decision for a bit.
GaryandEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Didn’t think I’d ever see this. Didn’t even contemplate the possibility of it happening . And therein lies the problem.
So I’m listening to the scientists and the professionals. After all, I always thought people should listen to me and appreciated it when they did.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-15-2020, 10:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’m listening to the scientists and the professionals. After all, I always thought people should listen to me and appreciated it when they did.
Ha! [emoji23]
Old 03-15-2020, 10:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I’m not trying to be negative here, but there is always a possibility that the U.S./Canadian border could be closed by April, and could remain closed for an indefinite time. If that were to happen, no U.S. citizen will be traveling to Chilliwack or Osoyoos.

If that happens, given the trade between US and Canada, we might as well all crawl back into our caves.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Didn’t think I’d ever see this. Didn’t even contemplate the possibility of it happening . And therein lies the problem.
So I’m listening to the scientists and the professionals. After all, I always thought people should listen to me and appreciated it when they did.
Iowa Dave
Exactly. A month ago I wouldn't have believed it if you came back from today and told me.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 21'NE
We're scheduled for April too. Playing it by ear for now. Our current plan is to go up the day before, and camp at a couple of places on the way home. But, we live a lot closer than you, near Seattle, and could easily make it home the day of pickup, if campgrounds are closed. So that's one option, if the borders are open. Also thinking about delivery, since Karl brought it up in an email, of course only if the borders are open. If we add up the costs of the hotel the night before, gas, a couple meals, and the dog kennel because we decided that maybe it would be an easier initial trip if we were dog-less... the cost of delivery could be offset.

We're playing things a bit conservatively right now, since we're in one of the hot-spots. We've decided to try to help reduce person to person contact points by staying home. (Relatively easy, since I work from home, Jeff is retired, and church has gone on-line.) I'm hoping by the end my house will be cleaner and my yard spiffier, since I'll need to self-entertain.
tukwilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If that happens, given the trade between US and Canada, we might as well all crawl back into our caves.

Indeed. I can't believe this would ever happen due to an epidemic.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:50 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I'm scheduled for an early May pickup. I expect by then things will have turned around. I have been reading a few articles.

Once the spring rains come and humidity rises, typically viruses have a harder time in humid air transmitting to others. In the dry winter air, they travel easily. Another story stated Covid19 acts like the flu, the flu tends to die off come May. The summer heat and humidity should stop the spread.

My trailer has been complete for 2 months. With the kids out of school for 3 weeks, my wife wanted to go pick it up, I'm just to busy with work.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Indeed. I can't believe this would ever happen due to an epidemic.
I guess I failed to address that. I doubt either country wood block the cross-border flow of goods; under this “enhanced precaution” only people on critical diplomatic missions or non-citizens working in critical jobs commuting across the border would be allowed to cross. It is the “non-essentials” that would be restricted until such time as the crisis passes.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Once the spring rains come and humidity rises, typically viruses have a harder time in humid air transmitting to others. In the dry winter air, they travel easily. Another story stated Covid19 acts like the flu, the flu tends to die off come May. The summer heat and humidity should stop the spread.
I wouldn’t be so sure of that. Here in Florida there is humidity all year, and it often rains in the winter time, yet there are increasing cases of COVID-19 here. Many medical experts have stated that only time will tell if hot and humid summer weather will slow the spread of this particular virus. Just look to the Ebola outbreaks in Africa.
Technically speaking, viruses are not “living” entities. A virus does not carry out many of the functions typically associated with “life.” That is why antibiotics, which interfere with bacterial cell processes, have no effect on viral infections (Ricin, for example, is so deadly because once in the body, it inhibits the synthesis of essential proteins within cells.). They cannot reproduce on their own. They must somehow get into (invade) a living cell and hijack it’s cellular mechanism to reproduce more viruses, and it is during the reproductive process where mutations typically occur, leading to more virulent strains of the “original” virus. The only thing that can stop a viral infection is the host’s immune response (antibodies developed in response). That is the simplified explanation, anyway.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #16

Thanks for all of the responses and viewpoints.
Yes, it is an unknown and things are changing daily.

Our trailer was finished back in January, too! But due to weather and cancer surgery for a family member, we were unable to go.

The thought about the US-Canadian border being closed did cross my mind. But it’s so hard to imagine that happening!

Well, like you all, I’ll wait, prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.
Good luck to everyone!
Old 03-16-2020, 08:13 AM   #17

Bobbie, We camped at Whidbey a few years ago. When we first got the trailer in fact!
My son was assigned there. Growler pilot. It’s so beautiful! I hope you don’t have to leave.

Anyway, He’s now in NV.
We were going to visit him on the way home from picking up our trailer this go around. Also see my new grandbaby! First one.
I do hope this works...
Old 03-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I'm scheduled for an early May pickup. I expect by then things will have turned around. I have been reading a few articles.

My trailer has been complete for 2 months. With the kids out of school for 3 weeks, my wife wanted to go pick it up, I'm just to busy with work.
The articles I read last night stated that health recommendations, travel restrictions , restrictions on bars , restaurants and gathering places are only going to get more restrictive
( See Italy -Europe) and will be in force for a minimum of 4 months
The idea that we will wake up one morning in the near future and this whole thing will be gone and everything will just snap back to normal is wishful thinking IMHO
So for now my Escape will stay safely in my pole barn and I will get on with hoarding toilet paper .

PS ; Saturday I stopped at our local grocery store in Northern Wisconsin . They had plenty of toilet paper but they were out of beer , cigarettes and frozen pizzas.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I guess I failed to address that. I doubt either country wood block the cross-border flow of goods; under this “enhanced precaution” only people on critical diplomatic missions or non-citizens working in critical jobs commuting across the border would be allowed to cross. It is the “non-essentials” that would be restricted until such time as the crisis passes.
My guess would be flights and buses and trains but not private car- but we'll see.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Bobbie, We camped at Whidbey a few years ago. When we first got the trailer in fact!
My son was assigned there. Growler pilot. It’s so beautiful! I hope you don’t have to leave.

Anyway, He’s now in NV.
We were going to visit him on the way home from picking up our trailer this go around. Also see my new grandbaby! First one.
I do hope this works...
I live here so sure hope I don't have to leave!