Prince Edward Island - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2021, 08:57 AM   #1

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Prince Edward Island

There is a delightful article about Prince Edward Island in the latest online issue of National Geographic. Hiking trails abound. As usual with National Geographic you are going be treated to stunning photographs.

We are in the midst of planning an Atlantic-Canada RV road trip for next summer.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
We went PEI as well Cape Breton and other areas of Nova Scotia in 2019. Still one of our favorite trips. Don’t miss Meat Cove in Cape Breton. New Brunswick and Bay of Fundy etc.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
If you do indeed go to Cape Breton, make sure you do the Cabot Trail (It is a road trip not a hiking trip, though there are some hiking trails along the way). Absolutely stunning views!
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
There is a delightful article about Prince Edward Island in the latest online issue of National Geographic. Hiking trails abound. As usual with National Geographic you are going be treated to stunning photographs.

We are in the midst of planning an Atlantic-Canada RV road trip for next summer.
Hi: Telescopist... We may see you on route. Wave in passing!!! Are you planning to ferry over to the "Rock"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030028.jpg   P1050197.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:32 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Very interesting place and reading, thanks for the posting.....
Old 11-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Telescopist... We may see you on route. Wave in passing!!! Are you planning to ferry over to the "Rock"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Is there any other way.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
PEI is one of my favorite places to visit! The people are super nice there!
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Is there any other way.

Ron
"The Rock" is (at least to Maritimers) Newfoundland not PEI. Although it is possible to access PEI by ferry there is only one - Caribou NS to Wood Island, PE. Most common access to the island now would be via the Confederation Bridge.

This summer I cycled PEI "point-to-point" on the Confederation Trail. 270 km and highly recommended.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:59 AM   #9
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
For those travelling the Cabot Trail, I suggest going clockwise around the island.

There are some occasionally narrow and quite steep drop offs along that coastal drive, which can be quite stressful on a vacation drive.

It is a much more pleasurable drive going clockwise with the passenger side cliff face providing a better sense of where the road is taking you.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:14 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
If you are going through Nova Scotia, the Alexander Graham Bell Museum is one of the best and most fascinating museums I've ever been to. It's in Baddeck.

Also, (at least in 2018), it's fun to go onto the island one method and off the other. You only have to pay to get off the island, so if you want to do both, the recommended way is to go over by ferry which is free in that direction and off via the bridge, which is less expensive than the ferry. I stayed at the Harbor Light campground which is near the ferry loading spot, $30 water and electric (2018). I was right on the water, a beautiful view, and was met at the office by a very nice guy who offered me a fudgecicle. Now that's service!

On PEI I stayed at Cavendish Campground at PEI National Park. It was early Sept so most of the crowds were gone.

If you want more info about places I stayed from Maine to PEI etc, you can pm me.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I cycled PEI partially on the Confederatiion Trail as well, but my bike tires were only 25mm wide. I would recommend your tires be more like 32 or 38 mm wide to do that cycle comfortably. It is a gravel path with the gravel being thicker than a 25mm tire would like. I did about 25 k on the Trail then went back to the highway. My bike was loaded with camping gear which made it more difficult on the gravel with the narrow tires.
My new road bike has 32mm tires, which are way better for touring
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
"The Rock" is (at least to Maritimers) Newfoundland not PEI. Although it is possible to access PEI by ferry there is only one - Caribou NS to Wood Island, PE. Most common access to the island now would be via the Confederation Bridge.
Umm, I'm Canadian and Alf referenced "The Rock" and my response was to that.

Been there, done that and the only ferry choice is the long ferry ride or the shorter one. Because of our dog we choose to drive back across the island and do the shorter ferry ride again.

Two choices for PEI, ferry or bridge. Since the ferry is free to PEI we took it over and the toll bridge back to the mainland.

Everyting in the Maritines was great except for the tourist trap crab or lobster dinner places. I'll skip them next time.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post

Thanks for posting! I'm excited to be on the same track
Old 11-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Buy bugs off the boats...
Old 11-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Buy bugs off the boats...
(maybe just me)
Old 11-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
"Bugs" is slang for Lobsters , lol... Thats what lobstermen call them... I only buy off the boat for cash.. works well for all involved
Old 11-23-2021, 01:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
"Bugs" is slang for Lobsters , lol...
Old 11-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
For those travelling the Cabot Trail, I suggest going clockwise around the island.

There are some occasionally narrow and quite steep drop offs along that coastal drive, which can be quite stressful on a vacation drive.

It is a much more pleasurable drive going clockwise with the passenger side cliff face providing a better sense of where the road is taking you.
I would rather be in the lane on the side toward the drop-off, for better view and better clearance to immovable objects. We drove the Cabot Trail, but in a large motorhome (wider than any Escape, and as long as a typical SUV plus 19' Escape), and happened to go counter-clockwise (by chance, not planning); the road is narrow in places but was not a problem for us.

We found the twisting and drop-offs of the Cabot trail much less stressful than the jarring potholes of the back roads of Prince Edward Island... I suggest choosing your roads there with that in mind. We were just following the coastline counter-clockwise from the ferry landing, but gave up and reverted to taking highways to specific coastal sites due to road conditions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Also, (at least in 2018), it's fun to go onto the island one method and off the other. You only have to pay to get off the island, so if you want to do both, the recommended way is to go over by ferry which is free in that direction and off via the bridge, which is less expensive than the ferry.
We followed the same logic and did the same thing. Using one route on and the other off also avoids the need to go all the way around the island, and probably to retrace some of the approach route on the mainland.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Two choices for PEI, ferry or bridge. Since the ferry is free to PEI we took it over and the toll bridge back to the mainland.
Both routes (ferry and bridge) are free to PEI and both have tolls leaving PEI.

The bridge charges by axle count: $56.75 with single axle trailer, $65 with tandem-axle trailer
The ferry charges by length: $112 for up to 40 feet combined

This is why, as already mentioned, it is less expensive to leave by the bridge, regardless of how one arrives. On the other hand, a $60 difference probably isn't worth changing travel plans in a way which would cause an extra overnight stay or a substantial extra distance of driving. The tolls are good to know about, but probably shouldn't be the primary determinant of travel plans.