Pros and Cons of staying at "posh" RV resorts - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Yep I looked again at the Website. They sell memberships. I guess we'll just press our dirty faces against the fence and ask if they can serve us some gruel. I don't think we would have liked it anyway.
Yes, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, they describe themselves as a "RV membership resort"... but
Quote:
Visitors with full hook-up RVs are welcome year round.
Advance reservations are recommended.
"Visitors", not "members"... I assume that if you buy a membership you're not a "visitor".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I couldn't find rates...
See the link which I posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... links to a rate chart.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #23

Quote:
... you're only going to find a bathtub in a hotel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Not so, we have the infamous Jack F who built his wife a bathtub in a Scamp 16

Bathtub in a Scamp 16! | Scamp Owners International

Also, while small RVs rarely have a tub, small tubs are not uncommon in the largest trailers and motorhomes.

You can decide what to drag along with you, what to pay for at a campground, and what to do without.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:38 PM   #24

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Not so, we have the infamous Jack F who built his wife a bathtub in a Scamp 16

Bathtub in a Scamp 16! | Scamp Owners International
Jeez, we don't even use the bathtub in our house. Sounds like kind of a pain to fill and empty. But whatever floats your rubber ducky, I guess.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:31 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I've got a fair vocabulary however posh, trendy, exclusive and premium priced are not in it. I like to camp with real campers with short extension cords, personal failings that they're not afraid to discuss with a hope of learning and cold beer we can share. It's great that there are areas where people are willing to spend a lot more than I am. Keeps more sites open where I want to be. My best experiences have been helping young or inexperienced campers. This probably comes from all the old boys helping me when I was younger and a desire to pay it back, outside. Not setting in a bathtub, watching a flatscreen, perusing the Wall Street Journal.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:39 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I find the crappier the weather the more I desire amenities. It's all well and good to camp when the weather is above freezing and dry and I can be outside walking, biking, talking or sitting by a nice campfire. But, when the rain is falling A LOT, the wind is blowing and the only place to be dry is inside the trailer, give me a cable hookup, an onsite restaurant and laundry facilities so I can dry towels, etc. Having a view out the back window of a boiling ocean/river/lake is a real plus too. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I find the crappier the weather the more I desire amenities. It's all well and good to camp when the weather is above freezing and dry and I can be outside walking, biking, talking or sitting by a nice campfire. But, when the rain is falling A LOT, the wind is blowing and the only place to be dry is inside the trailer, give me a cable hookup, an onsite restaurant and laundry facilities so I can dry towels, etc. Having a view out the back window of a boiling ocean/river/lake is a real plus too. YMMV
And, since you're in the Pacific NorthWET, that happens alot!
Old 07-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember pulling into the Bar Harbor KOA during a NorEaster and after getting set up at our site on the ocean side going over to a site with a sign "lobster" and ordered 2 dinners steamed by Clayton who had lobsters that were caught that day. The rain was hitting only one side of the trailer, the other side was completely dry! Clayton delivered 2 lobster dinners ($40) with corn on the cob, butter,clam chowder. We had a delicious memorable dinner and woke up to the prettiest ocean sunrise ever. Site cost was $75/nite but well worth it. Memories are priceless.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I remember pulling into the Bar Harbor KOA during a NorEaster and after getting set up at our site on the ocean side going over to a site with a sign "lobster" and ordered 2 dinners steamed by Clayton who had lobsters that were caught that day. The rain was hitting only one side of the trailer, the other side was completely dry! Clayton delivered 2 lobster dinners ($40) with corn on the cob, butter,clam chowder. We had a delicious memorable dinner and woke up to the prettiest ocean sunrise ever. Site cost was $75/nite but well worth it. Memories are priceless.
Hi: cpaharley2008... That sounds like a "Pay per view" site. We've had a few of them... but not with lobster dinners. We tend to go out when it's not stormin'. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Done just right.jpg   CHOWder Time at Thurstons.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Jim,
I remembered you talking about the dinner when we were at Townsend. So I made sure to tell my daughter Kelly about it before they left for Maine Thursday evening. She will be in Bar Harbor tomorrow. They're having a great time in Maine and have a list of sights to see and places to eat. They've been all around the world in the last couple of years, Malaysia to Scotland etc. and love to immerse themselves in the local culture and cuisine.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I've been in lots of campgrounds over the last couple of years, I've only found one that had a bathtub - the North Sydney KOA, in Nova Scotia...
Old 07-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #32

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We stayed at Lamoine State Park just north of Acadia. There was a similar sign at the check in. You left your site number with the person by a certain hour and cooked fresh lobsters would be delivered. Not a bad side line for some lobsterman's wife.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I think it depends how long you're camping when the urge for luxury hits. But the truth is, most hotel bathtubs aren't that great. Now a hot springs --- That would be worth the money!
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here is the cg map, I think we had site #360
Bar Harbor, Maine Campground | Bar Harbor / Oceanside KOA
Old 07-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
I think it depends how long you're camping when the urge for luxury hits. But the truth is, most hotel bathtubs aren't that great. Now a hot springs --- That would be worth the money!
Yes, About Us | Nakusp Hot Springs, Chalets, and Campground That is us last year camped at Nakusp Hotsprings. Not "posh" at all but great
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Yes, About Us | Nakusp Hot Springs, Chalets, and Campground That is us last year camped at Nakusp Hotsprings. Not "posh" at all but great
Yes, I was thinking the same. Last March, we spent a night at Faywood, near Silver City, NM, which is definitely not luxury. (Campsites carved out of sandy scrub, more like.) Very nice hot spring-fed tubs, though (with a clothing optional section of the park, too!)