Recommendations for trip Chilliwack to Colorado - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Recommendations for trip Chilliwack to Colorado

Currently planning on getting our Escape trailer in July 2021. Looking for suggestions on places to visit while in the NW. I'm thinking we would start out in Washington, then over into Idaho, then Montana or Wyoming, and finish up in Colorado where my son lives. We haven't spent any time in Washington except for along the coast, one camping trip in Idaho years ago, some time spent in Montana and Wyoming, and lots of camping in Colorado. Since reservations go quickly for popular places I thought I better start planning this trip. Since I know very little about Washington, I thought I would reach out to the community for ideas. If this has already been discussed many times here, just point me in the right direction.
Illinois Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 5.0
so many possibilities!

We live in Wyoming, and have explored all the areas you are talking about. If you are crossing the panhandle of Idaho, Lake Coeur d'Alene is gorgeous, and there is a paved bike trail running across the state there. The western section, along the lake, is beautiful. A lovely commercial campground is Khanderosa Campground, right by the river and very near a fascinating place, Old Cataldo Mission.
In Yellowstone and the Tetons, reservations do fill up very quickly. Madison is a very nice campground. In the Tetons, Gros Ventre Campground is huge and close to Jackson. Colter Bay is further north, on Jackson Lake.
A less-discovered gem in Wyoming is Medicine Lodge State Park. The sites are all grass, and there are cool petroglyphs and lots of birds to watch.
Our Lander City Park allows people to camp for up to 3 days for free, by the river, under huge cottonwoods. No hookups, of course, but there is a free dump station in town and it's a fun town to visit.
We are scheduled for a January 2022 delivery of a 5.0, but hoping for earlier!
julieinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #3

We've been wanting to spend some time in the Lander area, not sure if we can do it justice this time but would love to have some advice on Sinks Canyon SP and how far up the road you can get with a trailer? Any advice on Wind River area?
Old 11-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Lander area

Sinks Canyon State Park is a delightful spot to camp. There are several good spots. I recommend 3,4, and 5 for ease of parking an RV.
The Loop Road goes up Sinks Canyon, then up the switchbacks and is paved up to two nice lakes, then graded gravel the rest of the way to South Pass, with a few bumpier stretches that you have to slow down for with an RV. Nothing too rugged. There are very nice campgrounds up there, too, and on a weekday you probably won't need a reservation. On South Pass there are old South Pass City, very historic, and the Oregon Buttes, more desert but plenty of boondock opportunities.
Another nice idea is to camp at Fountain of Youth Campground in Thermopolis. They have their own pools, warm and very warm, and it's a nice little campground. Thermop also has a world-class dinosaur museum and digging site.
I think you will have to plan to spend a few weeks getting to your son's place.
julieinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Do not know what kind of things you like to do but we go camping (waiting for the first camping trailer - May 2021) near Sun Valley/Ketchum, Idaho in the sawtooth mountains. There are a number of national forest campgrounds - and boondocking opportunities. I can't suggest a campground as we have been tent camping, but it is a very attractive area for those into mountain climbing/hiking (us) and fishing (most people visiting the area). Take a look to see if it interests you.

If you can get reservations - Coulter Bay in the Grand Tetons is a really good campground.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #6

To julieinwy: Thanks for your suggestions and information on Sinks. We are planning on taking 3-4 weeks to get from Chilliwack to Colorado. I made a reservation at Grand Teton NP, Coulter Bay was already full for my time period so I made the reservation at Headwaters CG.

To kavm: I like your idea about Sun Valley/Ketchum. We've been wanting to go there. I like to hike and fish, while my wife enjoys her reading. We also like to take sightseeing side trips in the truck for scenery, or mountain towns for a change of pace.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
If, when you leave Sumas, you go south on WA-9, you can swing over to Bellingham, or stop at Mt. Vernon/Burlington for food. (We stocked up in Bellingham, then camped at Bay View SP, on Puget Sound, for a couple days to test out everything on our Escape).

Then, take WA-20, the Northern Cascades Highway, which is an absolutely beautiful route. You follow the Skagit River up, through North Cascades NP, crest the Cascade range at Rainy Pass, then Washington Pass (5477'), then follow the Methow River down to Central Washington.

Sinks Canyon: The Little Popo Agie River has some great trout fishing. North of Lander, the Wind River does as well, but it is in the Wind River Indian Reservation. There is some very interesting history there, of Shoshone Chief Washakie, and his insightful actions for his people.
(If they've solved the question of why much more water goes in the Sinks, than comes out the Rise, let us know!

Edit: FYI: we have used KOA campgrounds as a base when visiting the busiest National Parks. Some have 1st come 1st serve spots suitable for small rigs like Escapes.
E.G.: We used W.Yellowstone KOA on our last 2 trips to
Yellowstone NP. They even have a bear fence around their
facility.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
To Illinois Joe, we have been to a LOT of places in Washington, with and without our Escape Trailers. (We had another trip planned for this past June, but alas, most of the Washington State Parks were closed to camping. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and I can be wordy, so here are some links for some specific trips we have done in Washington State from our TwoHikers SmugMug site:
https://twohikers.smugmug.com/Wester...nRoadTrip2013/

https://twohikers.smugmug.com/Wester...rip-Sept-2016/

https://twohikers.smugmug.com/Wester...s-Hiking-2019/

If you are interested in Idaho, the campground near Redfish Lake in the Sawtooths (Glacier View) was pretty nice. https://twohikers.smugmug.com/Wester...d-Nevada-2020/
rajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21C -2020 and 2003 Aliner
let's hope for the border to open i would love to pick mine up in canada.... and do your planning but also be aware of the current supply chain problems and not meeting the completion date as mine is delayed ... thus making reservations and having to pay fees to cancel... FYI --- let's hope for your completion date ....
quidoi is offline   Reply With Quote