Return from New Hampshire - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Return from New Hampshire

Just spent a wonderful week watching the grandkids over their spring break. No issues going up. Different story coming back. North-east roads can be pretty bad. Coming out of Hartford, CT we hit a rough patch and lost the hose carrier. Will someone tell me how long it is? I bought a replacement 6 ft long square plastic fence post, but it looks a bit too long.
Then, south of Harrisburg PA I burned out a wheel bearing on the driver's side. Fortunately, AAA directed me to Martin Camper Sales just 5 miles away where they were nice enough to start work immediately. The break pads & elec parts were completely trashed. He had to replace everything but the axle. He could not tell what went first. The castle nut was loose, the bearing was pretty much gone, and there were pieces of brake pad in everything. Hard to tell what caused what. He checked the other side and that was fine. I had him replace that bearing anyway. Took him and hour and a half. Parts and labor under $300.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Sorry to hear of the bad experience. Good news is it didn't cause a safety problem and the cost of repair wasn't exorbitant. Reminder to check everything annually- and to repeat my experience- it is cheaper to replace the whole Dexter backing plate (includes complete brake assembly-$38) than to do replace separate components.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
- it is cheaper to replace the whole Dexter backing plate (includes complete brake assembly-$38) than to do replace separate components.
That is what the service tech told me.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I am filled with admiration that you took your trailer on those roads. I drove to Massachusetts through Connecticut last week without the trailer and it was pretty scary.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I am filled with admiration that you took your trailer on those roads. I drove to Massachusetts through Connecticut last week without the trailer and it was pretty scary.
Unfortunately, there is no way to get through there on a good road. I saw an entrance ramp in Rhode Island that I am pretty sure was paved with actual potholes.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
Unfortunately, there is no way to get through there on a good road. I saw an entrance ramp in Rhode Island that I am pretty sure was paved with actual potholes.
One of the reasons I moved from New Hampshire to Florida almost 30 years ago. I don't mis winter, road salt destroying cars, pot holes, slipping and falling on my butt, etc.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Unfortunately, I have no choice but to drive on Connecticut roads, and Rhode Island and Massachusetts if we want to go anyplace.

A piece of trivia. Connecticut has the second highest gas tax I the country, but most of it does not actually find its way onto the roads

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post
Unfortunately, I have no choice but to drive on Connecticut roads, and Rhode Island and Massachusetts if we want to go anyplace.

A piece of trivia. Connecticut has the second highest gas tax I the country, but most of it does not actually find its way onto the roads
Here in California same senerio. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
lalalalalala fingers in my ears. I don't want to hear about taxes, etc. let's talk about camping and wonderful Escape trailers.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
There are some sections of Rt6 heading into Providence that are miles of washboard. Rt6 is a major truck route since they never finished the interstate, and I don't think this road has been paved in 30 years. We towed on this last weekend, decided next time to take the long way.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
lalalalalala fingers in my ears. I don't want to hear about taxes, etc. let's talk about camping and wonderful Escape trailers.
In that case, even though we had to tow our Escape on the terrible roads of New England, we had a great time camping at the Bourne Scenic Park on the Cape Cod Canal.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post
In that case, even though we had to tow our Escape on the terrible roads of New England, we had a great time camping at the Bourne Scenic Park on the Cape Cod Canal.
Pictures? Did you say you took pictures of your camping on the Cape Code Canal?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote