Road and trail closures in Zion NP - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Road and trail closures in Zion NP

Yesterday Zion National Park announced closure of the Zion-Mount Carmel Highway, State Rt. 9, the road that runs E-W through the park via the tunnel. A retaining wall failed during a storm and the road is closed "long term": https://www.nps.gov/zion/learn/news/...rom-storms.htm

This closure adds a long detour for those planning to travel between Zion NP and Bryce Canyon NP. There are several trail closures in Zion, too. All this is not good timing for our Zion trip next week.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 17B 2019
We are headed there too for our first escape voyage April 1st. Sounds like we'll be doing some extra driving.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I am going there in September.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #4

Trailer: ?
If you're hoping to stay at one of the two campgrounds inside Zion, and you don't have reservations by now, it may be too late.

Lots of people during the prime summer months. On some summer days you need to get into one line in order to get into the *real* line. An hours wait at the main entry station is common. Since the East entry is closed, that means that even more cars will be lined up at the West entry.

2018 National Park Recreational Visits
1 Great Smoky Mountains National Park 11,421,200
2 Grand Canyon National Park 6,380,495
3 Rocky Mountain National Park 4,590,493
4 Zion National Park 4,320,033
5 Yellowstone National Park 4,115,000
6 Yosemite National Park 4,009,436
7 Acadia National Park 3,537,575
8 Grand Teton National Park 3,491,151
9 Olympic National Park 3,104,455
10 Glacier National Park 2,965,309

When you get there, if you're looking for options to Zion, send me a PM. I'm quite familiar with that part of Utah. Perhaps I can help you out.

Enjoy your travels.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
If you're hoping to stay at one of the two campgrounds inside Zion, and you don't have reservations by now, it may be too late.
Yep, WAY too late. They can be booked solid a year in advance. We like the smaller and more intimate areas because they're easier to get into and quite beautiful in their own right. We particularly enjoy Kodachrome Basin SP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170928_103452.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	37457
Old 03-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
What is the recommended off season time? Is February/March feasible or would weather be an issue? November/December better?

Zion (All 5 in Utah really) is very high on our list!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #7

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
What is the recommended off season time? Is February/March feasible or would weather be an issue? November/December better?

Zion (All 5 in Utah really) is very high on our list!
The average weather in the Springdale/Zion area tends to be rather pleasant in the winter. There are electric hookups at some sites in Watchman in case you need a heater. Stay outside the published reservation window and you should not have a problem finding a nice site if you pull in between Monday and Wednesday.

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...nd-climate.htm

We go winter camping in the St. George, UT area because you tend to have the place somewhat to yourself although there are more and more people crowd avoiding people doing the same. We're heading there in a week, or so, to give our new Escape it's first tryout. Not to Zion because it will be packed plus we've been there lots of times but to some BLM disbursed camping areas we enjoy near the Hurricane/Virgin area.

Now when you get to the higher elevations where Bryce Canyon is, it's going to be colder.

It's often said that there is no bad weather; just bad preparation for the weather.

Enjoy your travels

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I was in Zion on March 25th, 2014, and it was a zoo. A couple of days before the shuttle started, and the road through the canyon along the Virgin River was packed. All the pullouts were full, with people parked in the road on both sides of the pullouts.

While I grumble about having to take the shuttle, I now understand why it is necessary.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I was in Zion on March 25th, 2014, and it was a zoo. A couple of days before the shuttle started, and the road through the canyon along the Virgin River was packed. All the pullouts were full, with people parked in the road on both sides of the pullouts.

While I grumble about having to take the shuttle, I now understand why it is necessary.
So I guess we should plan on leaving the midwest in the dead of winter for any trip to Zion. Not ideal.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #10

As noted, it can be hard to get a campsite reservation in Zion NP, but it not impossible. You can reserve the Watchman Campground (just inside the east entrance) 6 months in advance through https://www.recreation.gov and currently there are spots available around Labor Day. The South Campground, just up the road, can be reserved 14 days in advance (previously it was "walk-in" only).

Regarding Kodachrome Basin State Park. It's not too far from Bryce Canyon NP, and it's know for its unusual rock spires. Campsites in Utah State Parks can be reserved 4 months in advance through https://www.reserveamerica.com/.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Zion is learning to deal with the crowds. We were there Mar 2-5, 2017 and things were not too crowded. On Mar. 4 (Saturday) they opened up the second (South) campground and started the shuttles, just in time for the spring break crowds.

Now the ZNP website warns "Please park legally and responsibly in Zion National Park and the Town of Springdale. Zion National Park has limited parking space. Please park only in designated stalls. Vehicles parked outside of designated stalls are subject to citation and may be towed. Once all designated parking stalls in Zion are full, visitors should park in the town of Springdale and ride the free shuttle to access the Park."
Old 03-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
When we go to Zion, we've always stayed at:
https://www.zioncamp.com/locations/u...national-park/
It is connected to and part of the Quality Inn.

It is right out the park entrance and we can get a site on the river with full hook-ups. You can walk right up to the park from the campground and hop on the shuttles or walk the other way to all the restaurants and shops. Very convenient to everything and out of the madness.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 17B 2019
I didn't have a problem to get a site at Watchman campground in Zion for 3 nights in the middle of April but I did call in early December. Also got campsites for kodachrome, fruita and Devil's garden at Arches at the same time. Devil's garden was the most difficult, we have to change sites due to availability. Unfortunately I discovored after the fact there is some sort of huge Jeep off road ralley the same time we were planning to be at Arches so had to switch things up a bit. I'm really looking forward to the trip, we are planning for about 4 weeks including the drive from BC and back. We are hoping to camp at Antelope island, Bryce, Goosenecks and Sand Island as well. Prepared that there will be big crowds. Can't be worse than the last time I was at Lake Louise in August i'm sure.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We left the trailer at Kanab and drove through.
Attached Thumbnails
Zion12.jpg  
Old 03-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #15

Yesterday afternoon the Park Service opened the road for single-lane travel over the damaged area. No oversized vehicles, including RVs and buses.

We drove it today, without difficulty. Temporary traffic lights allow for alternating one-way travel.

Several trails remained closed so there is increased foot traffic on the trails that are open.
Dave&Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Camping

There is a lot of BLM land by hurricane just down the road from Zion. Heading there now.
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #17

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
So I guess we should plan on leaving the midwest in the dead of winter for any trip to Zion. Not ideal.
Actually, that may be a good way to get out of the snow belt for a while.

I have gotten July reservations just a month or so in advance for Zion, and the same thing two weeks in advance for Yosemite. It's just a matter of checking the reservation site occasionally for openings due to cancellations.

The two things I enjoyed the most at Zion were (1) hiking the Narrows and (2) taking my bike on the front of the shuttle bus to the end of the line and coasting nearly all the way back to the CG. Good luck, I hope you can make it there sometime.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:03 AM   #18

The road is now closed. The damaged road section will be completely removed so the retaining wall can be rebuilt. The repairs should be finished April 30.

Several trails remain closed due to landslides and instability. The Narrows trail is closed due to high water from snowmelt.
Dave&Jane is offline   Reply With Quote