Route:Death Valley to Joshua Tree to Anzo-Borrego - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2020, 11:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Route:Death Valley to Joshua Tree to Anzo-Borrego

We are planning a California trip that includes stops at the following parks and in the order listed here:

Death Valley
Joshua Tree
Anza-Borrego Springs
Yosemite

After looking at both Google Maps and AAA TripTik routes (not the same), we are particularly uncertain about the leg from Death Valley to Joshua Tree. We want the routes to be as fast as possible without risking safety. Would not want to drive roads with next to no traffic in case we break down. Can someone with experience traveling any or all of these legs at this time of year (March/April) give us some sage advice?

Thanks in advance!
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler Escape 2010 17B (sold) Escape 21 NE (on order)
We are also leaving for a California road trip next weekend, but going from Joshua Tree to Furnace Creek. If you google map the route, the fastest route takes you through a beautiful but desolate road to Twenty Nine Palms. Just 10 minutes longer takes you to Baker/Barstow/Lucerne Valley and this is along highways.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Check weather forecast for wind on Highway 247 if your going that way. Several years back in our Class B we just missed a terrible dust storm. It was a good route to miss southern road traffic but has its pitfalls if windy.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Bob K:

You don't say which side on Death Valley Nat'l Park you'd be coming out of. But if it's the east side (Hiway 127) I highly recommend heading thru the Mojave Nat'l Preserve to Kelso, then down thru Amboy, and on to 29 Palm and into Joshua Tree Nat'l Park. We've traveled from Las Vegas to Palms Desert many times pulling our travel trailers thru that interesting countryside with no problems & and the two lane roads are fine. Kelso is also a Nat'l Park site : A major trail depot and stop during WWII.

Also, you'd have no problem pulling a trailer thru Joshua Tree, out the south entrance then on "Box Canyon" road to Mecca, cutting off part of I-10 on your way to Anza Borrego.

On your way from Anza Borrego to Yosemite - assuming you're entering Yosemite from the west side, I'd recommend: State 86 to I-10 to I-215 to I-15 to State 138 to 14 to 58 and on to Bakersfield then to Yosemite. That way you'll avoid a lot of the LA "insanity".

One caveat... I much prefer driving on the two lane roads as I feel I see so much more of the country... Which is why I own a trailer anyway!
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I appreciate the feedback. Maps, Google or paper, don't tell the whole story. We are still gathering information, but will be leaving on our journey this next Friday. Boy are we excited. We asked our eldest son about our decision to head out on the trip despite the Covid 19 virus. He thought camping in our trailer was probably the safest place for us, especially if we cook for ourselves as well.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
We asked our eldest son about our decision to head out on the trip despite the Covid 19 virus. He thought camping in our trailer was probably the safest place for us, especially if we cook for ourselves as well.

Bob K

All true, but they just locked down the entire nation of Italy. 19 million people under quarantine.