Route to Osoyoos - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2018, 10:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Route to Osoyoos

While camping on Oklahoma we met a man from Edmonton. We told him we were going to Osoyoos the end of May for the Escape rally. He recommended we take the loop from Montana up through Waterton, Banff and Revelstoke. He said the roads should be clear by then and the only worries would be the pass between Banff and Revelstoke. He also said this is a great time in that camping locations should be readily available without reservations.

I'm very interested in the thoughts of those who live and travel in that part of the country.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
It will be nicer after the Rally...but if you go before the Rally it gives you the opportunity to go back and enjoy it again!

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:38 PM   #3

Trailer: None yet
It’s beautiful country. I’ve driven that pass many times. The odds of getting snow are really low by then. Since school is still in session, campgrounds won’t all be full. That route will take you right down the Okanagan valley. Trough Vernon, Kelowna, penticton, then Osoyoos. Right through wine country. One of my favourite wineries is really close to Osoyoos. It’s called Burrowing Owl.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
No need to worry! We take Banff - Revelstoke also. Beautiful drive!
Did the same route last year, going to the rally. No problems whatsoever. But yeah, you never know.....
Who knows we meet, even before the rally starts...
Old 03-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
If you are from Texas and do not have a lot of experience driving through snow, why chance it by taking that route on the way to the rally. Even though you might have no problems whatsoever, freak late season storms do occur. As a previous responder has stated, after the rally would be safer. Either way, you will see snow, if only on the mountains and from a distance. A couple of years ago we spent 3 weeks in BC after the rally and had no problem in early June procuring campsites, even in the high demand areas of Jasper and Banff.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
While camping on Oklahoma we met a man from Edmonton. We told him we were going to Osoyoos the end of May for the Escape rally. He recommended we take the loop from Montana up through Waterton, Banff and Revelstoke. He said the roads should be clear by then and the only worries would be the pass between Banff and Revelstoke. He also said this is a great time in that camping locations should be readily available without reservations.

I'm very interested in the thoughts of those who live and travel in that part of the country.
Hi: richardr... Here's a pic I took after the 2014 ETI rally, on our way thru a pass in the mtns. I got out to snap not realizing that the lake was frozen over and the temp. was 32*F. My shorts and sandals seemed some what inadequate!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030688.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Before and after the rally you should have no problems with the roads. I have gone from Calgary to Osoyoos to the rally every year and have never had a weather problem. If you plan to take lots of time, there is plenty to explore. One route I would highly recommend, maybe afterward, is to take Highway 5 up to Jasper and then drive down the Icefield Parkway to Lake Louis. The Parkway is one of the most beautiful drives you could ever do.

On the way up to Jasper is Wells Grey Provincial Park, which is one of my favourite areas in BC. I have explored the backcountry there and camped in the campgrounds. It is beautiful country, lots of great falls to see within short walking distance, and the campgrounds at Clearwater Lake are a great place to stay. No services, but big sites with great distance between most other sites.

Another area very much worth taking in is the Kootenays, which lots of great scenery, lovely towns and lots of good camping away from the hordes.

Looking forward to seeing you and Vicky again. You will be able to get lots of first hand info at the rally from many of us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachr0n View Post
It’s called Burrowing Owl.
Hush up, I like that it's reasonably unknown. . It's my local go to for a nice meal.

The winter driving has been tough this year in areas but late May should be clear, as others have said.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #9

Trailer: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Hush up, I like that it's reasonably unknown. . It's my local go to for a nice meal.

The winter driving has been tough this year in areas but late May should be clear, as others have said.
Oh, uh, These are not the owls you are looking for...

Coming from big sky country, you're gonna love the experience of big mountains where the sun drops behind the tall mountains early and the sky and eastern slopes light up with Alpenglow.

Going down the Okanagan valley you'll get lakes, wineries, and BC's summer playground. Going down the Kootenay valley you'll get more wilderness, hot springs, and little Bavarian towns. Either way, you can't lose.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote