Severe Weather... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2020, 11:39 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
We had 8 inches of rain in Iowa a few years ago -- Timberline RV Park-- 3 tornadoes were just few miles away. The camp host came around to tell us that if it got really bad they'd alert us to go into the bathrooms. That was a scary night.

But the one that gives us the most ptsd happened when we had our airstream in Wisconsin. We had a choice between two sites -- selected one and during the night there was a ferocious thunder storm. When we went out the next morning we saw that lightning had struck a large tree in the site we didn't choose -- and the tree fell across the trailer pad -- our airstream would have been crushed. Fortunately no one else chose that site either.
Close call ! Would definitely give us ptsd if we ever experienced what you did ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:43 PM   #42

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Close call ! Would definitely give us ptsd if we ever experienced what you did ! Pat
Yeah..that one makes you think.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:47 PM   #43

I’m up late. Big storms rolling here at home. Some light hail mixed with it, which made me think...who would you go to for repairs if you got severe hail damage on an Escape?
Old 08-09-2020, 11:51 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
which made me think...who would you go to for repairs if you got severe hail damage on an Escape?

First of all, it would have to happen.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:00 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
First of all, it would have to happen.
Yup...and I pick it up tomorrow. Had it been today...it would have been hailed on.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Yeah..that one makes you think.
If we thought too much we'd probably never leave home.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I can often get an AM and/or FM radio signal, even if there's zero cell service. I think it's prudent to have a weather ban radio, even if it's a cheapy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
On a good day , our cell phones work less than half the time , so relying on them for weather alerts / tornado alerts would be just plain stupid IMHO
Since we’re 8 miles from the closest town hoping to hear the town siren is not going to happen
So far a good weather radio has worked fairly well
I have absolutely no trust in cell phones so we still have a land line
My carrier is Verizon and has been for several years. In all those years and in all my travels I have been completely without cell service only once and on another occasion in the UP, no Verizon but I was connecting to a Canadian tower. And when traveling, first thing in the morning I check the Weather Underground severe weather web page to see if there is any potential for severe weather where I am headed. So all I can say is I do trust cell phones (mine worked after a tropical storm in Florida when the landline didn’t) and essentially almost never being without cell service for me carrying around a separate radio for its weather band (I have the radio in the trailer but hardly ever use it for anything other than streaming music from my phone) is about as prudent as carrying an emergency dental kit in case I need to replace a filling and there are no dentists for 500 miles. I would suppose that I am more likely to be injured or killed by a falling tree limb, a wild animal such as a bear, or an accidental fall than I am by a freak storm that comes out of nowhere. My opinion, anyway. I would not suggest weather radios are useless by any means.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody ever does anything about it.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
My carrier is Verizon and has been for several years. In all those years and in all my travels I have been completely without cell service only once and on another occasion in the UP, no Verizon but I was connecting to a Canadian tower.
I have Verizon as well and I agree that their coverage is pretty good; I've been only a few places where I didn't have service. But Verizon came into some criticism after Hurricane Michael hit the Florida panhandle east of my home. They had problems getting their mobile cell towers up and running. I think the problem was a limit in satellite links but I'm not sure.

I asked a retired FEMA executive if the portable cell towers could link to terrestrial microwave towers instead of satellites. Those are the square towers that have the horn-shaped antennas on their corners. He told me the terrestrial microwave towers have their own problems after a hurricane. Their antennas are precisely aimed at other microwave towers, and the wind knocks them out of alignment so that they don't work. I thought this was interesting.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have Verizon as well and I agree that their coverage is pretty good; I've been only a few places where I didn't have service. But Verizon came into some criticism after Hurricane Michael hit the Florida panhandle east of my home. They had problems getting their mobile cell towers up and running. I think the problem was a limit in satellite links but I'm not sure.

I asked a retired FEMA executive if the portable cell towers could link to terrestrial microwave towers instead of satellites. Those are the square towers that have the horn-shaped antennas on their corners. He told me the terrestrial microwave towers have their own problems after a hurricane. Their antennas are precisely aimed at other microwave towers, and the wind knocks them out of alignment so that they don't work. I thought this was interesting.
Potato, Potaaato here in Vermont and Western Mass AT&T is king...Verizon not so much....
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
in all my travels I have been completely without cell service only once
Depends on where you're traveling. We've made 3 trips into central BC since the travel restrictions ended. I'd say we had cell coverage at the trailer site about 30% of the time despite not being geographically a long way from where there was cell coverage.

Terrain has a lot to do with it.

I carry a small shortwave radio with me. It does get a signal even when there's no cell coverage.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Depends on where you're traveling. We've made 3 trips into central BC since the travel restrictions ended. I'd say we had cell coverage at the trailer site about 30% of the time despite not being geographically a long way from where there was cell coverage.

Terrain has a lot to do with it.

I carry a small shortwave radio with me. It does get a signal even when there's no cell coverage.

Ron
Agreed! Terrain does have a huge effect on cell service.

Please note that I did not claim that Verizon or any carrier was everywhere. I said “in MY travels.” If I lived in BC (it’s a beautiful place) I would likely getting out of cell phone range and would be much more amenable to having a weather radio. All I am saying is that I have had very good luck with Verizon, regardless which carrier may be more prolific in any geographic area. Should my circumstances change, I would make the appropriate changes to retain the ability to communicate and to stay safe and aware of any approaching severe weather. It’s like this: I live in Florida. I’m not going to invest $10,000 in an oil or gas burning furnace; if I lived in Northern Ontario, I wouldn’t be investing $10,000 in central air conditioning.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #53

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
On many of our trips we have gone without cell coverage for 5 to 7 days at a time.
When I was growing up many of my relatives did not have phones in their homes or indoor plumbing or central heating , TV ,or even a vehicle
Sometimes not having cell phone coverage and not getting scam calls can be a blessing ,
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
On many of our trips we have gone without cell coverage for 5 to 7 days at a time.
When I was growing up many of my relatives did not have phones in their homes or indoor plumbing or central heating , TV ,or even a vehicle
Sometimes not having cell phone coverage and not getting scam calls can be a blessing ,
I agree, Steve. Not getting scam calls is a blessing. Since Apple introduced a feature that allows you to silence calls from anyone NOT in your contacts my phone does not ring, it goes to voicemail, which is forwarded to a number that does not answer, it just rings off the hook. I’m guessing the scammers and telemarketing buttholes are really frustrated with me!
Old 08-10-2020, 07:33 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
A couple of weeks ago I got a call on my cellphone from an unfamiliar number. I ignored it, thinking it was a scammer. A couple of days later I got a call from the same number, which is unusual. Turns out it was the sister-in-law of a close friend of mine; she had called to tell me he had died unexpectedly. From now on I'm answering the phone.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:42 PM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
If the caller just hangs up and doesn’t leave a voice mail , I just erase the call from the call memory
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
If we thought too much we'd probably never leave home.
...and that’s the topic of endless news debates lately.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #58

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Bought this for the Escape, AC\DC power. Works great. Midland NOAA Weather Radio.
https://midlandusa.com/product/wr400...r-alert-radio/
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #59

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I agree, Steve. Not getting scam calls is a blessing. Since Apple introduced a feature that allows you to silence calls from anyone NOT in your contacts my phone does not ring, it goes to voicemail, which is forwarded to a number that does not answer, it just rings off the hook. I’m guessing the scammers and telemarketing buttholes are really frustrated with me!
Is that feature only on which I phones ? We have a 6 plus , do you think it is on our phone ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:51 PM   #60
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Is that feature only on which I phones ? We have a 6 plus , do you think it is on our phone ? Pat
Yes, it's under 'Settings'

CALL SILENCING AND BLOCKED CONTACTS
Slider for "Silence Unknown Callers", slide it to green

"Calls from unknown numbers will be silenced, sent to voicemail, and display on the Recents list.

Incoming calls will continue to ring from people in your contacts, recent outgoing calls, and Siri Suggestions."

Hope this helps.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote