Sights in Iowa - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2022, 01:22 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
https://www.traveliowa.com/simplev/1...ail%2002.28.22
The link above will allow anyone planning to visit Iowa this spring or summer to either download or to order an Iowa Travel guide (paper copy). There are hundreds of listings of all sorts of Attractions. Well Over 100 ice cream shops for example. We are more than just corn and beans. Our fertile soils and talented farmers only need timely rains and an old piano leg to grow a mahogany tree.

https://www.traveliowa.com/getinspir...ail%2002.28.22
This second link is to the travel iowa site with some interesting things to see and do in Iowa. The George Halas exhibit at the National Czech and Slovak museum is in my home town of Cedar Rapids and only about a mile from where I grew up. Some great camping within 20 miles at the Palisades Kepler state park, Lake MacBride, the Coralville Reservoir and several other parks.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-28-2022, 01:55 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We are more than just corn and beans. Our fertile soils and talented farmers only need timely rains and an old piano leg to grow a mahogany tree.
Iowa Dave

emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 03:55 PM   #23

Stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I have to admit to you Adrian, that I first heard that analogy when I attended a Society of Municipal Arborists meeting and one of the organizers made an announcement that one of our members had taken a position in Portland Oregon where a lot of nursery stock was grown at the time. He said “Portland shouldn’t be much of a challenge, you can stick an old piano leg in the ground and grow a mahogany tree.” I liked it and used it several times over the years when asked if I had the ability to plant and grow certain trees. I had a very strong memorial tree planting program when I worked for the City of Cedar Rapids. Hope that Red River minds it’s own business this spring.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-28-2022, 04:33 PM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
https://www.traveliowa.com/simplev/1...ail%2002.28.22
The link above will allow anyone planning to visit Iowa this spring or summer to either download or to order an Iowa Travel guide (paper copy). There are hundreds of listings of all sorts of Attractions. Well Over 100 ice cream shops for example. We are more than just corn and beans. Our fertile soils and talented farmers only need timely rains and an old piano leg to grow a mahogany tree.

https://www.traveliowa.com/getinspir...ail%2002.28.22
This second link is to the travel iowa site with some interesting things to see and do in Iowa. The George Halas exhibit at the National Czech and Slovak museum is in my home town of Cedar Rapids and only about a mile from where I grew up. Some great camping within 20 miles at the Palisades Kepler state park, Lake MacBride, the Coralville Reservoir and several other parks.
Iowa Dave
I have to get to the Czech Museum sometime. One line in my family is Czech. I don't think I have ever visited Palisades Kepler park either, and I grew up in Anamosa.

Cindy
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:26 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Let's not forget Winterset Iowa, birthplace of John Wayne.
The museum: https://www.johnwaynebirthplace.museum/
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:46 PM   #26

Winterset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Let's not forget Winterset Iowa, birthplace of John Wayne.
The museum: https://www.johnwaynebirthplace.museum/
A good friend of mine was the Parks and Recreation Director in Winterset. I think he’s retired now or moved on. He was very proud of their city campground. Not big but well kept and clean from the pictures I’ve seen. I have been to Winterset several times but not to the campground. My friends name was John Pleshette just like the actress Suzanne. Marion Morrison was quite a man.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-28-2022, 11:33 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Yes Dave, we stayed in that campground. We prefer city/county parks. That one is kind of on the edge of town. Easy walk to the town square. Dropped the payment off at the city office, the whole thing. Towns people use the park for jogging, picnics etc.
Lots of covered bridges in the area. Clint Eastwood movie "Bridges of Madison County" made in the area.
Nice town, nice state.
Don't forget the Duke's museum...
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:43 PM   #28

I was at a state parks conference one fall. A landscape architect had arranged for a visit to a gated community (Glen Oaks) with a golf course he’d done some consulting for them. It was in West Des Moines. When we got there we were told we wouldn’t actually be able to get out on the course even in the out of bounds areas. We did get a nice tour of the clubhouse, machinery garages, new construction. The reason for our shortened visit:
Clint Eastwood was on the course playing golf as a break from filming “Bridges”. It was real hot that day and I will say someone arranged for a large cooler of cold drinks as we got back in the bus and headed for Ankeny.
I never had a lot of interest in golf although there were times when I had oversight for three 18’s and a nine. Had some good superintendents and assistants.
Iowa Dave