Stunning travel option - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2021, 07:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Stunning travel option

We just returned home after four weeks on the road, from Kansas, to northern California, back home.

Just want to show a couple of pictures, taken on Wyoming Scenic Byway (highway 130) through the Snowy Mountains. The Byway was a 45 mile detour off the interstate that was stunningly beautiful. We camped at Ryan Park at the start of the pretty section, and while the camp itself wasn’t anything special, it was at least very quiet. The camp was at 8100 ft., and the Medicine Bow Pass was nearly 11,000 ft.

Sorry about the rotation. Don’t know how to fix it.
Attached Images

thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We camped up there years ago when we had the tent trailer. It got down into the 30s. We had a gravity furnace and vinyl windows so it was pretty cozy in the Venture. Beautiful country to be sure. Glad you discovered it.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-27-2021, 01:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 E19
Wow. That place calls out to me! Thanks for the "Kodak moments"!
Old 06-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 21NE
It's stories and pictures like these that keep me excited about getting our 21NE next year and taking our family of four out on some beautiful trips! Thanks for sharing!
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:04 PM   #5

My advice, get off The interstate, study up on the area before You visit. Lots of hidden gems out there.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
My advice, get off The interstate, study up on the area before You visit. Lots of hidden gems out there.
Iowa Dave
Such as your garden!
Old 06-27-2021, 08:33 PM   #7

She’s coming along. 16 pepper plants and 15 Tomatoes. Trying some white bell peppers called Snowball this year along with some Poblanos and some Bulls Horn and on the tomatoes some Celebrities, Boseinos, Festivas, and a few others.

Last year before the heavy frost, about Halloween, I took 50 spaghetti squash to a food kitchen. After 500 sweetcorn last year I didn’t grow any this year. We have field corn adjacent to the yard so I only plant sweet corn when there’s soy beans next to us.

Red raspberries will peak this week. We’re picking about a pint a day. Gotta beat the Japanese beetles which have been heavy the last few years.

One time, years ago, I had a garden plot in the city rental gardens. I was into Indian corn then and had a big planting. People were mad at me when they peeled their sweetcorn back and had black kernels mixed in. We’ve had some rain but not a lot right here. Doing ok though.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Rick -

Inspired by your pictures, we have planned our next trip to go hike in the Medicine Bow range in early August. Traveling from SLC, we will stay 4 nights in Saratoga, WY in a commercial campground, mainly because I need to participate in Zoom meetings most mornings. With that as the base, we will hike in this range (got a book on hiking trails).

Living in SLC, our pattern is to go North in the Summer, and we tend to avoid Grand Teton and Yellowstone as they are overrun. So, always on the lookout of good areas that will not be baking in the Sun. Hopefully this will turn out to be a good choice - even though there is hardly anything not baking in the Sun out West.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Rick -

Inspired by your pictures, we have planned our next trip to go hike in the Medicine Bow range in early August. Traveling from SLC, we will stay 4 nights in Saratoga, WY in a commercial campground, mainly because I need to participate in Zoom meetings most mornings. With that as the base, we will hike in this range (got a book on hiking trails).

Living in SLC, our pattern is to go North in the Summer, and we tend to avoid Grand Teton and Yellowstone as they are overrun. So, always on the lookout of good areas that will not be baking in the Sun. Hopefully this will turn out to be a good choice - even though there is hardly anything not baking in the Sun out West.
I think all the lakes along the route hold trout. I didn't fish on this trip, but a local friend goes to this area every year (for the past 50 years, since childhood) and they catch a lot of trout.

The 25 or so miles east of Ryan park on the Scenic Byway are indescribably beautiful. Enjoy your experience.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
I think all the lakes along the route hold trout. I didn't fish on this trip, but a local friend goes to this area every year (for the past 50 years, since childhood) and they catch a lot of trout.

The 25 or so miles east of Ryan park on the Scenic Byway are indescribably beautiful. Enjoy your experience.
Thank you! Your post made me think of looking at this area. It definitely looks promising. We are strictly hikers (and bikers, but don't have the guts to add bikes to our Escape yet). Looks like there is good hiking there. I did not see any fourteeners but there are 12000' peaks there. That ought to be cool enough!
Old 07-11-2021, 03:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Quote:
We just returned home after four weeks on the road, from Kansas, to northern California, back home.

Just want to show a couple of pictures, taken on Wyoming Scenic Byway (highway 130) through the Snowy Mountains. The Byway was a 45 mile detour off the interstate that was stunningly beautiful. We camped at Ryan Park at the start of the pretty section, and while the camp itself wasn’t anything special, it was at least very quiet. The camp was at 8100 ft., and the Medicine Bow Pass was nearly 11,000 ft.

Thunderworks, Beautiful Photos and an inspiration. We pickup our 21C in Sumas early August and plan to head back to NC via Wyoming and avoid the higher elevations in Colorado. Did you have a trouble with the 11,000 elevations. I haven't pulled a trailer at anywhere near those heights.
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:

That looks like Mirror Lake ?
We were up there last week
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:32 PM   #13

I just checked the 10 day forecast for Ryan Park. Predicted highs range from 74 to 82 degrees depending on which day, and lows from 48 to 55. Elevation is about 8500 feet. Looks quite tolerable.

I located Mirror Lake on the map at about 10,600 feet; I bet folks would want to pack a jacket up there.

It certainly is tempting.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Thunderworks, Beautiful Photos and an inspiration. We pickup our 21C in Sumas early August and plan to head back to NC via Wyoming and avoid the higher elevations in Colorado. Did you have a trouble with the 11,000 elevations. I haven't pulled a trailer at anywhere near those heights.
My TV is a Honda Ridgeline. Our trip took us through the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70 on the way west, and over Medicine Bow Pass on the way home. I’d be lying if I said it was no problem for my Honda. We were really slow, but more importantly, there were several times that my transmission temperature got hotter than is recommended.

With a better TV, I’d do the route again in a heartbeat. Our Escape 19 tows beautifully. We use an Andersen Anti-sway, Weight Distribution hitch. I don’t detect any sway or instability at all from the trailer, but do want a stronger TV.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
That looks like Mirror Lake ?
We were up there last week
I thought it was called Lake Marie, but I could be mistaken. It was west of Medicine Bow Pass. This picture is the outflow from the lake.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2021, 11:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I just checked the 10 day forecast for Ryan Park. Predicted highs range from 74 to 82 degrees depending on which day, and lows from 48 to 55. Elevation is about 8500 feet. Looks quite tolerable.

I located Mirror Lake on the map at about 10,600 feet; I bet folks would want to pack a jacket up there.

It certainly is tempting.
That sounds very good indeed. That’s what I was hoping for…
Old 07-12-2021, 01:48 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
I thought it was called Lake Marie, but I could be mistaken. It was west of Medicine Bow Pass. This picture is the outflow from the lake.
Very possibly I went to both lakes last week
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote