Summer camping above 7000 feet. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2020, 10:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
FWIW, I grew up on a ranch in Colorado at 9,000 feet elevation on the east face of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range (near Westcliffe in Custer County, for those familiar). Humidity there is generally not a factor, so when Summer camping, at any given temperature, that pretty much leaves shade and wind speed to worry about at that altitude. Statistically speaking, it's like a 2 x 2 factorial with shade and breeze as the two independent variables (did I just hear groans from some of you out there?). If you're in the sun with no shade and no breeze, it can feel pretty hot. If you're in the shade with a breeze blowing, it can feel quite cool even in the middle of the day. But a breeze with no shade, or shade with no breeze, both can generally be pretty comfortable. That's was my experience growing up there, anyway.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:35 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
If you pucker easily you may not want to tow your trailer between Aspen, Co and
Leadville, Co.

If you are considering Independence Pass, you may want to read this first: https://www.codot.gov/projects/archi...formation.html
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:47 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We started up the pass last September, saw the sign prohibiting combos over 35' and turned back towards Leadville. After driving around south to Aspen a camp host at the c.g. on the Aspen side said Semi trucks have gone over it. He does too with a 25' trailer and truck. Still wouldn't do it though.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:52 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The Lincoln National Forest in southern New Mexico is the closest high elevation area from where we live in the Texas Hill Country. The area around Cloudcroft NM is just wonderful in the summertime, at over 8600 feet above sea level. It's a relatively small alpine forested area, completely unlike the desert that surrounds it. Daytime highs are typically in the high 60s and low 70s F and nighttime lows in the 50s F, even in August, when the desert areas nearby are sweltering. The town of Cloudcroft is a nice attraction as well. The main street has all sorts of little shops and restaurants. We love heading to Cloudcroft in the height of summer as a way to escape the heat. The campgrounds around Cloudcroft are typically no hookups, which is fine with us. It's much more pleasant to camp where it's cool than having to hear the racket of the Air Conditioner.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:55 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB
Several years ago, I visited Yellowstone NP in late August. I definitely needed a light jacket for the evening presentations the Rangers put on (all of which I found very interesting). Overnight temps usually dropped into the low 40ºF. I stayed in Mammoth Campground which is 6000'+ above MSL. After several days, the 3KW Honda Handi inverter generator wouldn't start. At that altitude, the spark plug had fouled. Once cleaned of said fouling, it went back to its' usual rock solid dependability. Even during the day, I found I did NOT need to use my AC.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:34 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The Lincoln National Forest in southern New Mexico is the closest high elevation area from where we live in the Texas Hill Country. The area around Cloudcroft NM is just wonderful in the summertime, at over 8600 feet above sea level. It's a relatively small alpine forested area, completely unlike the desert that surrounds it. Daytime highs are typically in the high 60s and low 70s F and nighttime lows in the 50s F, even in August, when the desert areas nearby are sweltering. The town of Cloudcroft is a nice attraction as well. The main street has all sorts of little shops and restaurants. We love heading to Cloudcroft in the height of summer as a way to escape the heat. The campgrounds around Cloudcroft are typically no hookups, which is fine with us. It's much more pleasant to camp where it's cool than having to hear the racket of the Air Conditioner.
This is one of our favorite places to visit. Almost moved there til found out about the taxes there. We love the restaurant on the east side of town as you leave town.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:02 AM   #27

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Independence Pass

One year we were in Leadville about X-mas time and my younger brother decided to get married near Aspen and the pass was open due to the lack of snow that year, so we took the shortest trip over Independence.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:33 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Just returned from camping at our favorite campground which happens to be in our favorite area of Colorado: Amphitheater Campground in Uncompahgre National Forest, just above Ouray on the “Million Dollar Highway”, at approximately 8,000’. It was already pretty warm in late afternoons. Here is Wikipedia’s description of that highway between Ouray and Silverton. BTW, I first drove this highway on a pitch black night in 1973, pretty fresh from the flatlands of Illinois. I don’t sing, but I found myself involuntarily singing Nearer my God to Thee.

“Though the entire stretch has been called the Million Dollar Highway, it is really the twelve miles (19 km) south of Ouray through the Uncompahgre Gorge to the summit of Red Mountain Pass which gains the highway its name. This stretch through the gorge is challenging and potentially hazardous to drive; it is characterized by steep cliffs, narrow lanes, and a lack of guardrails; the ascent of Red Mountain Pass is marked with a number of hairpin curves used to gain elevation, and again, narrow lanes for traffic—many cut directly into the sides of mountains. During this ascent, the remains of the Idarado Mine are visible. Travel north from Silverton to Ouray allows drivers to hug the inside of curves; travel south from Ouray to Silverton perches drivers on the vertiginous outside edge of the highway. Large RVs travel in both directions, which adds a degree of excitement (or danger) to people in cars.[6] The road is kept open year-round. Summer temperatures can range from highs between 70–90 °F (21–32 °C) at the ends of the highway to 50–70 °F (10–21 °C) in the mountain passes. The snow season starts in October, and snow will often close the road in winter. Chains may be required to drive.[7]”
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:43 AM   #29

Trailer: ?
Last week.
Boondocking at Trout Creek Pass not far from Buena Vista, CO. 9,400’. 50’s at night. Just perfect. Happy Dog loved the place.

Then off to Poncha Creek near Poncha Springs. About 9,000’. Boondocking right on the creek. Another great free camping spot. 38.417244 -106.126629

And finally to our favorite Forest Service campground: O’Haver Lake. 9,200’.
Attached Thumbnails
420F69A2-94D7-4099-932C-507A0864CF4D.jpg   A94E353C-13BC-48B2-B728-1F721E025636.jpg   143FB90A-1ED0-45B5-A7F0-2F793168E5AE.jpg   C6DBDD12-C306-40C1-BE9B-5D2CF55565E5.jpg  
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Swany --- I just looked over the Uncompahgre National Forest on line and now I want to go there. Wading through the CO state parks/forests sites, could not get any current info on availability of where you stayed, at the Ampitheater Campground. Got the impression area is first come first served and strictly boondocking. Is that right? If not, how did you reserve a spot?
Old 06-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The area around Cloudcroft NM is just wonderful in the summertime, at over 8600 feet above sea level.
If you are so inclined, you can drive south to Sunspot and visit the National Solar Observatory and Apache Point Observatory. The solar observatory gives tours, and there are overlooks where you can see out over the White Sands Desert. Apache Point is private and only gives tours to organized groups, but you can walk the grounds. There is a spot that overlooks an area that is larger than the state of Massachusetts.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Great Basin National Park

Nevada's Great Basin National Park has several campgrounds all higher than 7,000 feet. The park's Wheeler Peak has a glacier. Yes, there is a glacier in Nevada. The rangers call it a "rock glacier"-- ice covered with rubble that keeps it from melting completely.

Great Basin NP is very isolated, though. There is no cellphone service, and no Internet except at the visitors center.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Swany --- I just looked over the Uncompahgre National Forest on line and now I want to go there. Wading through the CO state parks/forests sites, could not get any current info on availability of where you stayed, at the Ampitheater Campground. Got the impression area is first come first served and strictly boondocking. Is that right? If not, how did you reserve a spot?
We arrived 5/27 thinking that it was all first come first served, no reservations honored till later in June. Got there and they were closed. Local cop thought it would not open till mid-June. We got a site (nice, but pricey!) at Ouray KOA, renewed for one or two days at a time and kept checking Amphitheater daily. Found them open June 1 and quickly got a site. Need to use ReserveAmerica to reserve, but it looks like they keep some non-reservable sites. If you are ok with the REALLY scary Million Dollar Highway, especially the first few miles above Ouray, you could go roughly 5 miles beyond Amphitheater CG and boondock free at Ironton Park, then Drive back to Amphitheater in morning to snag a site.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #34

Thanks much! I see Amphitheater pk has 5 first come first served sites. Very helpful, especially the Ironton Park solution. If you also have an Ouray hot springs spa preference, love to hear it.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Thanks much! I see Amphitheater pk has 5 first come first served sites. Very helpful, especially the Ironton Park solution. If you also have an Ouray hot springs spa preference, love to hear it.
We usually just used the city facility on the edge of town, but as of yesterday morning they were still closed. Decades ago, when our kids were small, we stopped in at Orvis Hot Springs between Ouray and Ridgeway. Got to the desk and the clerk said “You do know we are clothing optional, right?” So...haven’t tried them, but I see they now have camping as well. Guess you could really light for a clothing optional campground.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #36

Thanks, much appreciated. I'm ready to leave now but ... not likely -- dear one won't sign off on that. Must fire up the fridge to be sure it works, etc.
To quote Jim Gaffigan, seeing some people at a clothing optional spa is knowing a good reason why we wear clothes.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Back in about 2007 I was at an AFrame rally at that KOA in Ouray when a couple of pals and I decided to do a day trip to Mesa Verde. OMG< that road, which I knew about, is a white knuckler. I was lucky I drove down in the day so that coming back in the dark I was on the inside. It was a lot farther than I had thought.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #38

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
red mountain pass

My Dad worked on that road and many others in late 40's and 50's. We would go visit when out of school and I remember that a car always would yield to a truck going either direction, up or down the hill by backing up to a wide spot.
AZjack, born and raised in CO.
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:09 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
Bobbi - Your altitude sickness may well be dehydration. I used to be a victim until it was pointed out I needed to drink (water!) more when up higher. Cured me right away.
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:04 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM15283 View Post
Bobbi - Your altitude sickness may well be dehydration. I used to be a victim until it was pointed out I needed to drink (water!) more when up higher. Cured me right away.
Absolutely true. At the higher and cooler elevations, the air tends to be much drier. You don't feel thirsty but your body is losing alot of moisture. This is particularly true in the high desert. When we camp at high elevation I make a point to drink at least 4 or 5 glasses of water a day. I feel so much better, and no headaches.