Taking a high-mileage Tacoma to Alaska. Bad idea? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Taking a high-mileage Tacoma to Alaska. Bad idea?

I am tentatively planning a trip to Alaska in 2021, leaving home on May 1. By then my 2013 Toyota Tacoma will have about 225,000 miles on it. Do you think it will make the trip?

- the vehicle has been well-maintained, using synthetic lubricants throughout

- I have had no major problems with it so far, but I think its A/C compressor is nearing the end of its life

- The Tacoma is my daily driver and only vehicle at this time. I do not intend to purchase another tow vehicle until 2023. I'll keep the Tacoma when I do.

- If I go, are there spare parts I should take along?

- Is there special insurance to cover breakdowns on a trip like this?

thanks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I am tentatively planning a trip to Alaska in 2021, leaving home on May 1. By then my 2013 Toyota Tacoma will have about 225,000 miles on it. Do you think it will make the trip?

- I have had no major problems with it so far, but I think its A/C compressor is nearing the end of its life

- The Tacoma is my daily driver and only vehicle at this time. I do not intend to purchase another tow vehicle until 2023. I'll keep the Tacoma when I do.

thanks.
Hi: Mike Lewis... I for one wouldn't take a new Taco up there!!! You might experience tire trouble up there due to ruff roads. Make sure all your hatches are battened and enjoy the trip.
Before we left for Newfoundland my RVTech advised a new set of tires and after hitting a washout and breaking the 5.0TA battery case, spilling the acid from one cell on the dinette floor... I'm glad of that advice. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
IMO you should just strike the "if" and go for it.

Multiple spare tires seem to be popular (sharp-rock damage often not amenable to roadside plugging).

Beyond that, unless your 'clairvoyant's license' is current ....

Hey, have fun !
Old 12-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
You know the vehicle, you know how reliable it is. Although an unexpected problem can occur at any time and anywhere (tomorrow and 5 minutes from home, for example), don't worry because of the truck's age. It should make the trip about as well as yourself. (After all, how many miles do you have on your body?)
Old 12-21-2020, 07:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Flip a coin

I wouldn't recommend taking a spanking brand new vehicle or an older one. Either have their risk. But if it got you this far with it........predictions are hard to make, especially about the future. Use what you have.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Use what you have.
And rely on Donna's favorite repair tools: Visa, MC, AEx.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
It should make the trip about as well as yourself. (After all, how many miles do you have on your body?)

Yes, this is part of the calculation as well. I'm 64 and right now I'm alright, but in a few years' time I could develop a chronic condition requiring frequent monitoring, possibly eliminating the ability to take months-long trips altogether. Or I could get hit by a bus. Or by a meteor. Point taken.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Yeah, I would just try to be as smart as possible and keep a stash of money in case of problems. Otherwise lock and load (in a good way).

Can I come? I got my own rig. I bet we could pick up a whole bunch of Escapees.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I have a ‘98 Chevy 2500 as my tow vehicle. Does it have issues? A few, but not many. Could something bad happen tomorrow? Yep. Does that keep me from making 12,000 mille 12 week trips? No. Can I now sometimes only find used parts? Yes. I bought it new in Anchorage, AK. A building fell on it when it only had 2K miles on it. Lost the pickup camper, and I thought the truck, but $18,500 in repairs later for my $19,000 truck, and I’m still driving it. I don’t want to spend 35 - 40K for another truck. I could buy used, but then I wouldn’t know what the issues are. Now at least I know the issues and history. Doesn’t mean it won’t catch up to me sometime, but for now, and with no plans to change, it’s my truck. Only you can decide your comfort level. Our 2016 Corolla has 100K on it, and I don’t plan on replacing it anytime soon either. I’d hop in the Taco and go, but your comfort level may be different. As far as taking a new truck to Alaska, I’d do it in a heartbeat. The northern roads are much better than they used to be. I’d not expect any damage.
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
what size wheels does this 2013 Tacoma have? tire profile is the biggun for bad roads and sidewall damage... my 2008 Tacoma 4x4 had 265/70R16 tires, and i used load range E all terrain BFG tires, and I replaced the spare when it was 8 years old with a new same-as-the-rest. The "E" range tires have a really high maximum pressure, I do NOT use that, I inflate them per the vehicle weight recommendations, or when heavily loaded maybe a little higher..

newer trucks tend to have these insane big wheels with no sidewalls, those are DANGEROUS on bad roads. /55 and below ratio tires simply do not belong on an all terrain truck, or really any vehicle driven on bad roads.

and don't even get me started on cars with /40 tires on 18" plus rims, those are totally ridiculous on anything other than a hard core sports car that you take to track days.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
what size wheels does this 2013 Tacoma have?
The tires currently on the Tacoma are those Michelin tires Costco sells: the Defender LTX M/S. Size is 245/75R16. I may buy new tires before I leave in May.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Can I come? I got my own rig. I bet we could pick up a whole bunch of Escapees.
Sure. I think people leave for Alaska from the Osoyoos rally on occasion. Lots can happen between now and May, though, so no guarantees.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #13
Site Team

hmm, mine had 265/70R16 ... but it was a TRD Off Road.

I put BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2's on mine, freekin' awesome all terrain tire with great road traction, wet or dry, and surprisingly quiet and smooth for an A/T tire. Long life on a Tacoma too, at 20K miles, they still had 75-80% tread. They had enough traction on mud and grass and such that I hardly ever had to use 4x4.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:31 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 15A
Quote:

thanks.
That mileage wouldn't bother me for a Toyota. I would go through it beforehand and replace belts, hoses, battery etc. if they are more than 90k miles/5 years old.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
hmm, mine had 265/70R16 ... but it was a TRD Off Road.

I put BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2's on mine, freekin' awesome all terrain tire with great road traction, wet or dry, and surprisingly quiet and smooth for an A/T tire. Long life on a Tacoma too, at 20K miles, they still had 75-80% tread. They had enough traction on mud and grass and such that I hardly ever had to use 4x4.
Back in the day we ran those BF Goodrich super all traction’s on the two wheel drive Ford pickups. I had an 8 foot pickup camper on my 1970 Sport Custom F100. It would go anywhere I wanted it to go. I always liked the BF Goodrich tires. I even had a set on the 1950 F-1. Flathead V-8. Good times
Iowa Dave
Old 12-22-2020, 03:58 PM   #16
Site Team

ah, a few things I might have a mechanic check out before such a trip...

1) when was the automatic transmission last flushed and new filters? or if its a manual, has the transmission oil ever been changed? if not, might be a good thing to do, will help the long term longetivity if nothing else.

2) differential(s), if its never been done, changing the differential gear oil at 200K+ miles is a good long term preventive thing.

3) inspect the timing chain and its tensioner and guides, if its still all in good shape, leave it alone, otherwise replace the timing chain(s), guides, and tensioner. again if this has already been done, you're undoubtably good to go, and a 1GR-FE engine /should/ go past 250K miles on its original chains and stuff, but if it breaks on the road, your whole engine can grenade.

4) check/inspect the driveshaft U joints, driveshaft center bearing(if any, I forget if a tacoma has one), and all the front suspension ball joints, tie rod ends, steering linkage, etc.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
That mileage wouldn't bother me for a Toyota. I would go through it beforehand and replace belts, hoses, battery etc. if they are more than 90k miles/5 years old.
Get a second opinion on hose replacement so young; independent 40 + year mechanic says those Toyota hoses are really good quality. My 2001 Avalon still has originals and are in great condition. Take spare belts.
Also, it's more the age than miles.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:20 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Get a second opinion on hose replacement so young; independent 40 + year mechanic says those Toyota hoses are really good quality. My 2001 Avalon still has originals and are in great condition. Take spare belts.
Also, it's more the age than miles.
the real problem is aftermarket replacement parts quality is often much WORSE than the factory original. even the quality of factory branded parts tends to backslide once the model is out of production a few years.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:

thanks.
Mike,
Where are you planning on going in Alaska? That’s like saying I’m going to the United States. The roads to Skagway, Anchorage, Fairbanks are paved even the Cassier is paved. There are limited services on the Cassier but I would go up one way and down the other. The big issue is weather the boarders will be open. Don’t miss Laird hot springs.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Mike,
Where are you planning on going in Alaska? That’s like saying I’m going to the United States. The roads to Skagway, Anchorage, Fairbanks are paved even the Cassier is paved. There are limited services on the Cassier but I would go up one way and down the other. The big issue is weather the boarders will be open. Don’t miss Laird hot springs.

I have a reservation at a campground in Denali NP for the week of June 13. Other than that I haven't planned anything. I'd like to make a detour to Skagway, as I used to know someone who is from there and I'm curious. Everything else is up for grabs.