Tehachapi vs Grapevine for travel in winter conditions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2023, 12:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Tehachapi vs Grapevine for travel in winter conditions

We will be in Indio on Thursday trying to go north. Weather forecasts for both passes show snow flurries. Most likely we will delay our departure to when the weather clears on Sunday as are not equipped for snow travel. On the other hand I know that Caltrans does try to keep those roads clear when possible. Anyone have experience with this and recommendations?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Less worried about the road, more about the drivers who have never driven in the snow.
If it’s actively snowing and they are plowing and sanding best to take a break and wait. If it’s snow flurries not problem.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 04:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
Less worried about the road, more about the drivers who have never driven in the snow.
If it’s actively snowing and they are plowing and sanding best to take a break and wait. If it’s snow flurries not problem.

Good point. Will check the road webcams and delay our return if any concerns about conditions. We have the time and other than being “horses heading to the barn” there is no reason to go if not safe.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Jill, from one who has traveled both roads numerous times, when it comes to snow, one road vs the other really does depend on local conditions. I'd advise making your decision based on that. In dry conditions the Tehachapi route is by far and away the most enjoyable. Additionally it is well worth the extra miles required to bypass the LA basin which will probably be more dangerous than either the Grapevine or Hwy 58 through Tehachapi, snow or no snow.

Regarding the drivers, besides not being snow savvy, on both roads many drivers exceed the speed limit going downhill by at least 10 mph which is the worst place to exceed the speed limit. It's a southern California sport. Highway 58 going downhill north of Tehachapi is a bit more curvy and narrow than the Grapevine. If you take 58 through Tehachapi this is where you'll especially want to slow down in advance and keep your rig under control from the very beginning of the descent. You'll be fine on Hwy 58 if you do that.

Finally, if you do go through Tehachapi and have time for a sit down lunch, Gracians on the early south end of town is a low key old style sit down restaurant which serves good food, Mexican and traditional American. We make that stop every time we travel through. A meal there is always very relaxing.

And if you travel the Grapevine, Los Pines in Gorman, another old style sit down restaurant in serves up an excellent Mexican vegetable brothy beef soup which simmers all day long for the weary traveler. This has also always been very relaxing and worth the stop for us.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Both can close, too, so agree on local conditions, Just play it by ear and be prepared to wait it out or detour to 101.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Local weather guesser reports strong winds possible over the Grapevine region from Central Coast for next few days. Be watchful.

Emjay
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 10:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
They try to keep I-5 open if possible...too major a n/s route and lots of trucks.

However, the coming storm is predicted to be pretty wild here in northern Calif, snow way lower elevation than usual, and wind. If there's the possibility of snow OR wind on either route, I'd pass until next week. Especially over the grapevine, you'd likely encounter drivers inexperienced with those conditions. Also, if it is shut down, there's very little chance of accommodations. That means stuck in the cold at a truck stop or some such.

Sounds like you can wait without too much trouble...wise choice.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:50 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Anyone come north out of California into Oregon over the next couple of days, please keep this in mind!
Attached Thumbnails
WinterWeatherRisk.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 05:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Having traveled both roads a lot over the decades and with the severe weather through Saturday night and probability for residual snow through Sunday. I think I would just plan to bomb straight through LA on the 1-10 to the 210 to 134 to 101 heading to Ventura. You wouldn't have to wait either; could leave tomorrow or Thursday. Lots of people like the Faria CG and bet there are some openings next week. Morro Bay State Park another two hours up the road will definitely have some. After that you're heading north on 101 and could go 46-41 and pick up 1-5 at Kettleman City.

Kinda sucks when you just want to get home, yet this storm is going to be a bit of a doozy and you want to stay safe above all else.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:20 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Now 10:15 central time Hwy 58 is closed from Arvin to Hwy 14. This includes the summit at Tehachapi. A high wind advisory is also in effect from the San Bernardino/Kern to 15 miles west of Tehachapi. Travel is not recommended specifically for campers and trailers.
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 10:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Having traveled both roads a lot over the decades and with the severe weather through Saturday night and probability for residual snow through Sunday. I think I would just plan to bomb straight through LA on the 1-10 to the 210 to 134 to 101 heading to Ventura. You wouldn't have to wait either; could leave tomorrow or Thursday. Lots of people like the Faria CG and bet there are some openings next week. Morro Bay State Park another two hours up the road will definitely have some. After that you're heading north on 101 and could go 46-41 and pick up 1-5 at Kettleman City.

Kinda sucks when you just want to get home, yet this storm is going to be a bit of a doozy and you want to stay safe above all else.
Yeah we considered that route as we love camping on the coast. In the end we decided to wait it out. We have a good spot in Indio where the weather is far better than what I'm seeing just about everywhere else in California. Fortunately there is nothing that we have to be home for.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:33 AM   #12
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
We traveled through Tehachapi around 1 January and there was a lot of highway construction. It was bad enough then as we drove through one of the nights when they had severe rain storms, so snow would likely be worse.

I do agree with others that waiting is probably the best alternative if you have a place to stay. I grew up in S.Cal and Frazier Pass was always a problem in winter and I was always reading about accidents. Wish you the best with whatever decision you make.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 08:47 PM   #13

Just want to follow up to say that there was a break in the weather today and the Tehachapi pass finally opened up so we went that way. All went well except a warning for anyone else who goes that way in the near future... The pot holes were huge and everywhere! Several vehicles were pulled over on the side of the road with destroyed tires. I'm sure whatever holes were there before were made worse by the extreme weather. The road was closed for many many hours over the past few days. It's too bad they couldn't fill them at that time.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I’m heading over tomorrow hoping the weather clears I will watch out for potholes!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Tehachapi was easy clear and not ver twisty
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote