The Driftless - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
The Driftless

I recently returned from a trip in my Escape that included a two-week stay in the Driftless area of southwest Wisconsin. I stayed at Blackhawk campground, one of the USCOE campgrounds along the Mississippi River. It was my second visit to Blackhawk.

The area is scenic and interesting geologically. I got the feeling on both trips, though, that my ignorance of the area led me to miss some attractions. Could folks from the Driftless region or frequent visitors to it clue the rest of us in on what to see when visiting? Thanks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hello Mike
In addition to Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota and Iowa all have an area that was missed by the glaciers.
There is interest in this area and it’s pretty country as you found.
At both Lansing Iowa and Marquette Iowa there are education centers that are dedicated to the landforms of the area as well as considerable public land for fishing, hiking, hunting, bird study and gaining a better understanding of the history of this area.
https://www.traveliowa.com/destinati...-center/11122/
Contact with the tourism boards from these states will get you information of whatever your pursuit is. For my wife and I it’s an area where we have camped, fished, vacationed for 50 years so we probably take it for granted. Though I am interested in geology and land forms, when I’m in any country I have a gregarious interest in all kinds of attractions. In the driftless area and nearby here are a few
Center at Lansing Iowa
Center at Marquette Iowa
Locker plant at Protivin Iowa with Czech ethnic foods
Bily brothers clock museum at Spillville
Trout Hatchery at Decorah Iowa
Vesterheim Norwegian Museum at Decorah Iowa
Root River bicycle trail Lanesboro Minn
Rough Fish Roundup on Root River in Mid May with a group meal of deep fried sucker balls.
Reconstructed brewery at Potosi along with restaurant and brewiana museum at Potosi Wisconsin
National Wildlife area south on New Albin, Iowa
Seed savers heirloom seeds at Decorah Iowa.
I’ve not spent much time in the drift-less area in Illinois and Wisconsin. Hope this helps future campers and visitors. If you have specific questions contact me and I’ll work on it for you. I have the habit of learning what I like and then sticking with it for a long time.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-08-2021, 03:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Iowa Dave-

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll be sure to reference it the next time I visit the Driftless.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Driftless

Dave covered the Driftless Mississippi river "waterfront" plenty nicely. I stayed at Blackhawk C.O.E. once. We were woken up at dawn one morning with WW3 commencing......it was opening day of duck hunting, I guess. The gunshots ricocheted and boomed in the river valley.
A sweet spot near there is Yellow River State Forest. Few amenities there, but huge, gorgeous and quiet. Trout streams run through several camp grounds there. Bring your pony next time. There is a horse rider campground to boot. 10K acres big, it's a Midwest backpacker favorite state forest also.
Nearby on the way to YRSF is Effigy Mounds, a federal park facility preserving "First Nation" effigy mounds. Free, and well worth a gander and saunter.

Another meat market is just North of YRSF in New Albin, right on the Iowa Minnesota border. https://citymeatnewalbin.com/
Wildly worth a stop and a purchase or 2. Same family running it for 100 years, and the quality only gets better each generation and each year. And a throw-back in time. No bar codes or shopping carts used there at that market.

Marquette Iowa and sister city McGregor are well worth a gander. McGregor has more to offer for food and sights. Pikes Peak State Park is near McGregor and has nice camping, a waterfall and impressive river valley views. Down river is Guttenburg, Iowa, a sweet spot and tidy river town.
Just across the river and over the cheddar border is Wyalusing State Park in Wisconsin. Caves, distant river vistas, an observatory, and a plaque commemorating the last Passenger Pigeon seen. Wyalusing, up on big, big bluffs is on the mouth of the Wisconsin River. Nearby & across that river is Praire du Chien WI, which has a storied history, a mansion of a very early founder (fur trader) and a market town/resupply utility for visitors.

I could go on. You may want to return to the Driftless, some day.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Driftless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Iowa Dave-

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll be sure to reference it the next time I visit the Driftless.
You are welcome
Here’s our setup at Yellow River last month. It’s only 100 miles for us.

The 2013 21
My Daughter’s 1974 boler
Grandkids 2,4,3,1 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
77578548-F4CE-4544-B19A-922B29F25579.jpg   D29EC50D-9E26-49CC-98CA-032FD398A309.jpg   15656700-95CE-47F6-B6F5-774C6D052C16.jpg  
Old 09-08-2021, 08:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
A couple of Drifless images

One, of the City Market and another, a drone photo from Pikes Peak, across the Mississippi, viewing the mouth of the Wisconsin River.
Wyalusing State Park is on the bluff, on the right. Prairie du Chien would be to the left of the image. And 1 more....of our camp at YRSF.

All Driftless, ALL the time!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0736.jpg   Mississippi.jpg   Breeze_200519082150_000.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote