The Great American Southwest - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2019, 04:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
The Great American Southwest

Hello all!
We are getting ready for a trip to the Great American Southwest and are asking for some recommendations for RV Parks in these areas:
Joshua Tree
Sequoia/Kings Canyon
Yosemite
Death Valley
Have to say, we are spoiled, like full hookups and quiet/clean RV Parks that are dog friendly. We use the Allstays app for iPhone, but wonder if there are any particular places that we should look at or avoid (have found that sometimes the ratings given on the app are NOT accurate!).
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-31-2019, 05:45 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
When is the trip?
Old 08-31-2019, 06:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Mid September.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Keep an eye out for me, because I will be in that area, too. First stop will be Page, AZ. 2. North rim of the Grand Canyon 3. Bryce Canyon 4. Zion 5. Las Vegas 6. Sequoia and lastly the south rim of the Grand Canyon.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gang View Post
Keep an eye out for me, because I will be in that area, too. First stop will be Page, AZ. 2. North rim of the Grand Canyon 3. Bryce Canyon 4. Zion 5. Las Vegas 6. Sequoia and lastly the south rim of the Grand Canyon.
Hey JG Are you staying at the North Rim? We stayed up at Jacobs Lake (not really a lake) about 45 miles north of the Rim. From there we visited the North Rim and Page. No wifi but otherwise very nice campground. You're going to be up close to 9,000 feet so be ready for cold and snowy.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:23 AM   #6

We will be staying at the Demotte Campground in the Kaibab National Forest.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:41 PM   #7

Quote:
We will be staying at the Demotte Campground in the Kaibab National Forest.

That's a very nice area. Might have some bison in the neighborhood. Be sure to stock up on groceries before you head up to the plateau. Not much at Jacob's Lake. There is a gas station at Jacobs Lake and one next to the North Rim campground but the North Rim station might be seasonal. The road from the east going up to the plateau is a good road but in spots very steep and curvy. Have a safe trip.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:02 PM   #8

We will be in Page AZ for a couple of days before going to Demotte Campground. As far as bison goes, if we see some, then great. If not, that is OK. We were in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons this past May. There was always a bison jam somewhere and in Lamar Valley were hundreds of bison. And thanks for wishing us "a safe trip".

Old 08-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #9

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
bison jam

We used to ride our motorcycles through Yellowstone frequently, our daughter worked there a summer or two. We felt a little uncomfortable looking the bison in the eye when we were held up by traffic. Never a problem though.
Azjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:09 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
We will be in Page AZ for a couple of days before going to Demotte Campground. As far as bison goes, if we see some, then great. If not, that is OK. We were in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons this past May. There was always a bison jam somewhere and in Lamar Valley were hundreds of bison. And thanks for wishing us "a safe trip".

We loaded up on groceries in Page.
Spent one afternoon in the early fall sitting in the back of my truck on the west end of the Lamar Valley observing the wildlife and listening to the Auburn Tennessee game. Camping at Slough Creek. I think that was the year Tuberville got fired.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0358.jpg  
Old 09-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
You are eliminating many wonderful locations by requiring hookups, but two that I'd suggest checking out include Agua Caliente County Park in CA. Both full & partial hook up sites & a bunch of developed hot springs.

For some nice hikes, check out Anza Borrago Desert State Park, again in California. Both dry & hook up sites, although you need to reserve early for a hook up site. If you go, be sure to check out the metal sculptures at Galleta Meadows outside town. Some photos.

While there are no hookups, Texas Springs is my favorite campground in Death Valley, and Jumbo Rocks in Joshua Tree, again, dry sites that now require reservations.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I have camped for decades in the areas you mentioned. If you have to have hook ups, then you can only get near to the places you mentioned. Out West, the best places do not usually have hook-ups. Zion National Park is the exception and has some electric sites.
Put the name of the place you want to go to in Google maps. "Yosemite National Park Camping," for example. That will pull up all camping in that area and you can search for one with utilities closer to where you want to go. In my opinion, use solar and a quiet generator and get right in the beautiful places.
Kodakajika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19', 2009 Casita 17'
I understand wanting to have hookups, but if you're looking for a couple of days in a gorgeous locale, give these a try:
  • Indian Cove campground in Joshua Tree NP is one of our all-time favorites anywhere: it's outside of the park (20 minutes from the entrance and the town of JT), but it isn't as crowded together as most of the campgrounds inside the park. (There might be a CG in the park with hookups, but I don't think so.)
  • Mesquite Springs CG in Death Valley is another nice one, out in the wilderness. There are limited hookups at the gravel park in Stovepipe Wells, and I know there are other places near Furnace Creek that have hookups.
  • You didn't say, but if you get close to Vegas and are heading towards Utah, it's worth checking out Valley of Fire; one of the sweetest state parks in the land. The larger campground has hookups (elec/water, I believe).

Have fun!
Rick
rick is offline   Reply With Quote