The Maritimes and NE US - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2023, 01:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The Maritimes and NE US

We will be heading to The Maritimes and NE US later this summer and into autumn a bit. We are looking for ideas from those who have been there of things you really enjoyed taking in as well as places to stay. Along with us will be my brother and sister in law with their 19.

Only two things are set at this time and we really need to finalize a plan. We have a myriad of ideas and need to settle on a plan.

In PEI we will be staying at a large place my wife's sister and brother in law owns and explore from there. We have a wedding September 23 at Cape Cod MA, which is our only set date for something so far. The wedding is in Harwich. We will want to camp fairly close to the wedding site.

We plan to leave mid-July to later August. Our return will depend on weather and places to stay but will likely meander home after the wedding. Definitely looking to see some great Autumn foliage.

In Nova Scotia we each have one friend from the pass we will talk to.

I have never been to the Maritimes and in NE US to NYC a few times and visiting my wife's brother in New Jersey, so really know nothing of the area we will be exploring.

For the most part we do prefer provincial and state camping, along with some federal places too. However, we will gladly stay at private campgrounds if that has it's advantages for us.

Any input would be welcome.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My advice, stay away from NY city with a trailer behind you.....
Old 01-21-2023, 02:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Fundy National Park for sure and hope you like lobster.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P6010238_resize.jpg   P5310225_resize.jpg   P5310214_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 03:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 E19
If you're looking for a super nice campground to stop over for a night or two in New Brunswick I recommend Sunset View Campground. Super easy to access off of TCH and although only 45 minutes from my home it is my go-to campground. Might even see you there!
About 5 hours from Quebec City and 3-1/2 to 4 hours will put you at the Confederation Bridge.
Lots of things to check out in the area if you decided to stay a day or two. Kings Landing Historical Village, Longest covered bridge in the world, etc.

https://www.sunsetviewcampground.ca
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 04:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Be sure to stop at Meat Cove on Cape Breton Island if for no other reason than to pick up a "T" shirt and be able to say you have been there. They even have a campground overlooking the bay.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Stateside, consider the Adirondack Experience. (https://www.theadkx.org) When we were there many years ago, it was just a museum, but a very good one which really captures the unique history & culture of the area. Can't speak to all of the newer additions. Also in that area, a tour of one of the Great Camps is quite interesting. (https://visitadirondacks.com/what-to-do/great-camps)

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:50 PM   #7
Wig

Trailer: 2022 21C
Acadia Area Me.

Scoodic Woods and Lemoine State park are great campgrounds near Acadia National Park. Just check for closing dates in the fall. Both campgrounds are outside the park proper with park bus service from Scoodic woods to Acadia. Lemoine does not have hookups, Scoodic does but just be careful when booking as they have a variety of options and the website is a bit confusing. Our last trip there was in 9/21 and my wife thought she had booked a water an electric site only to find it was electric only. Also no showers at Scoodic.
Have a great trip.
Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks for the recommendations so far. It is so much nicer hearing them firsthand as opposed to just reading online. Adding to a list as I hear things. We will all get together soon to set make some plans. Not to worry about NYC, I have driven there and was not a big fan, let alone towing a trailer. This will not be a stop for us.

We will not require hookups for the most part but will take them if that is what is available. A place to dump is all we really need.

Doing a lot of booking ahead is not something I usually do as I like to wing it, go where I feel like at the time. I have just heard that booking is required where we are headed, especially in the summer months.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My advice, stay away from NY city with a trailer behind you.....
Recommended way to go around New York is on I-287; most of us oldsters will still call it the Tappan Zee Bridge (old habits), but new replacement is called the Mario Cuomo Bridge. Still best to avoid rush hour if possible, but doable on this route. I'll use I-95/Cross Bronx Expressway after 10pm in a pinch, but it's still stressful due to being very narrow & with many potholes.

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We will be heading to The Maritimes and NE US later this summer and into autumn a bit. We are looking for ideas from those who have been there of things you really enjoyed taking in as well as places to stay. Along with us will be my brother and sister in law with their 19.

Only two things are set at this time and we really need to finalize a plan. We have a myriad of ideas and need to settle on a plan.

In PEI we will be staying at a large place my wife's sister and brother in law owns and explore from there. We have a wedding September 23 at Cape Cod MA, which is our only set date for something so far. The wedding is in Harwich. We will want to camp fairly close to the wedding site.

We plan to leave mid-July to later August. Our return will depend on weather and places to stay but will likely meander home after the wedding. Definitely looking to see some great Autumn foliage.

In Nova Scotia we each have one friend from the pass we will talk to.

I have never been to the Maritimes and in NE US to NYC a few times and visiting my wife's brother in New Jersey, so really know nothing of the area we will be exploring.

For the most part we do prefer provincial and state camping, along with some federal places too. However, we will gladly stay at private campgrounds if that has it's advantages for us.

Any input would be welcome.
State campgrounds in New York and Vermont are very nice...there is a bit of boondocking available in the National Forest here in VT as well. Plan on being somewhere on Thursday or Friday for the weekend if it is still summer as campgrounds do fill up...midweek and fall should be no problem as many parks are open till Columbus Day in VT and for much of November in NY (hunting season) and usually have room. There is a state park North and West of Portland Maine...Bradbury Mountain State Park that is a nice stop off and an easy hike up to top for views of Portland. Let me know if you have any questions on NY or VT in particular and New England in general. I would love to see your work on your trailer if you are passing through Southern Vt! I would offer you a camping spot but our camper takes up the only level spot on our property! Early to mid October is best for foliage around here.

Sweetwater Forest is a really nice private campground in the Harwich area. Nickerson SP is also pretty good. BEWARE of TICKS on Cape Cod especially the area you are going. Very nice bike path going up the center of the Cape too.

Charlestown RI is a nice area as well Burlingame SP is huge and always has sites in the fall. The beaches are nice and no problem parking in the fall although we usually use our bikes. Although I also like to paddle in the salt ponds behind the barrier beaches. Lots of really great farmed oysters up and down the New England coast as well....each
location has a different flavor!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote