Theodore Roosevelt National Park - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Theodore Roosevelt National Park

we're heading to Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park in North Dakota -- We were there 25 years ago, but now Cottonwood Campground is half reservations. Does anyone have any advice? There is another campground in the park that is totally first come. I think that is at the north end.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Never been but ultimatecampground.com shows USFS CGs as first come, Elkhorn 9 RV, Magpie 11, Burning gap 37, Wannagan 10, also Burning Coal Vein south of 94 has 5, all first come fist served. Burning Gap is the closest to 94 and Cottonwood. A few SP's, Camels Hump, Sully Creek, and Belfield Dam, also one county park in Medora City. The later ones obviously outside the NP, and all take reservations.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
we're heading to Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park in North Dakota -- We were there 25 years ago, but now Cottonwood Campground is half reservations. Does anyone have any advice? There is another campground in the park that is totally first come. I think that is at the north end.
Ruthe,
If you can't get into Cottenwood (which would be my first choice), my recollection is that there is a city or county park that is very near. Also Sully creek state rec area is a couple of miles south of town. Primitive camp sites often used by horse and mountain bike people.

Last time I came through Medora was on a bicycle and stayed at Red Trail Campground. Kind of expensive but convenient and nice folks.

Enjoy the park. see the Chateau de More (sp?). I thought the musical was too schlocky, but enjoyed a good dinner at the hotel.

If you don't have your heart set on staying near Medora, there is a nice campground in the north unit of the park. Juniper campground. Closer to Watford City than Medora. So you are closer to the Bakken oil patch. But my brother tells me the oil frenzy has calmed down a bit. Haliburton has laid off several people in Dickenson where he lives
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Stayed at the Juniper campsite in the North Unit two weeks ago. We plan to return as it fits our style of camping. No hookups - nice campsites - no crowds - and good destinations in the park for birding and sightseeing.
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #5

We ended up at cottonwood but got the last available site. The new reservation system makes things difficult. The host said he is disgusted with it. A ny way we saw lots of great scenery and herds of bison and even some wild horses. And also met an Escape 19 owner. It really is a community. Same thing happeNed in the Tetons when we met an Escape 17 ow ner. I would have liked to go to the northern unit but we are kind of on a direct route home now
Old 09-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
So curious -- did you feel the impact of the oil patch in the park?

We actually got MARRIED in that campground. No, really! By the Medora justice of the peace. A park intern was our witness

Much love for that place, but have been afraid to go back due the oil stuff -- when we were married 14 years ago, it was forgotten and quiet in the very best way.
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
We were not aware of the oil patch while we were in the North Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Definitely aware of it beyond the park boundaries. What a zoo!
The National Park was a wonderful refuge.
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:57 AM   #8

Just saw this now -- we knew about the oil patch, but didn't experience any problems outside the park and definitely not inside the park. Except for the craziness about getting a campsite which is due to the new reservation system, this park feels undiscovered (and certainly if you get there by mid afternoon there should be no problems). No traffic jams over wildlife -- no filled up parking lots like in Yellowstone -- and not nearly as many people as in the South Dakota Badlands. Thinking about it, I suppose it's possible that the new reservation system is a result of the workers needing some place to stay, but probably not, since it's not convenient to the oil and gas fields and doesn't have hookups.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #9

That's so good to know. I am curious how much more visitor traffic there is overall -- sounds like it's still relatively quiet, but when we were married there I think it was the least visited of all the park properties, and we were pretty tickled by that . I doubt that's still the case. Anyway, if you're in the area, be sure to drive the Enchanted Highway, which is east of Dickinson and runs down to Regent. A really great project.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I wonder if it is quieter now (with the drop in oil prices slowing new fracking in the area) than it was a year or 2 ago? New York Times had a article at the peak about people flocking to the area and I believe that the campgrounds were full of folks seeking work there.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:48 AM   #11

Eric, we can only hope. I'd love to go back someday but I really think my heart would be broken -- even if the park is intact, I know the places we stayed around there will never be the same.