Tips on 3,500 km journey - AB to NWT to BC and back - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17b Escape towed by 2003 Chev Suburban 4WD or 1998 Ford F150 V6 2WD
Send a message via ICQ to deange
Tips on 3,500 km journey - AB to NWT to BC and back

We are planning our trip this August to explore the Deh Cho Travel Connection using our 2006 Escape 17b. I'll post my questions and then brag about our upcoming journey!
We are assuming we will be mostly dry camping for our adventure.
A. How long will our two propane tanks last powering the fridge?
1. We have solar for our power (and I may have to replace our battery) but am
afraid to power the fridge on DC and then not be able to run the pump or
lights at night.
2. Should the DC, when hooked up to the truck while driving on the road,
charge the battery and run the fridge without losing charge on the trailer
battery?
B. We have amassed a fairly good emergency kit and experience in preparation
-Shotgun, jack, spare tire, instant tire repair (fix a flat aerosol), rubber mallet, socket set, screwdriver set, double sided sticky tape, an extra sewer valve cover (I seem to lose them on gravel roads a lot). Bearings recently greased, new rims and tires, recently updated all bulbs (inside and out to LED). Finally, we've been going for camping trips (up to four hours away, one-way, since May 18). Missing anything?

I will pull either with our 2003 Chevrolet Surburban or 1998 Ford F150 V6 2WD

Link to Itinerary: http://v5.spectacularnwt.com/sites/d...eitinerary.pdf
Some stuff on the Alaska Highway we will be traveling:
https://www.hellobc.com/road-trips/alaska-highway/
Link to map: https://maps.app.goo.gl/?link=https:...e-9a24bca368ff
deange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would have at least 2 spares for both the trailer and tow vehicle. With one battery you will not have enough to power the refer, on propane your dual tanks should power the refer for at least 4-6 weeks but less if you use the furnace at night for heat.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2006 17b Escape towed by 2003 Chev Suburban 4WD or 1998 Ford F150 V6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I would have at least 2 spares for both the trailer and tow vehicle. With one battery you will not have enough to power the refer, on propane your dual tanks should power the refer for at least 4-6 weeks but less if you use the furnace at night for heat.
Thanks so much!! Very helpful to know.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
A 12v air compressor.
We bought one last year and used it 2 times already on our still good, but sure not new tires.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you run down the battery at camp and then drive to the next camp with the fridge running on DC, you will arrive with a run down battery. Tow vehicle simply can't charge the battery and run the fridge at the same time.
Many, including me, run the fridge on propane while towing ( shutting it down while fueling ).
Old 06-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If you run down the battery at camp and then drive to the next camp with the fridge running on DC, you will arrive with a run down battery. Tow vehicle simply can't charge the battery and run the fridge at the same time.
Many, including me, run the fridge on propane while towing ( shutting it down while fueling ).
I hadn't thought about shutting it down when fueling, thank you for that. We have been doing it on propane on all of our trips, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something!
Old 06-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
A 12v air compressor.
We bought one last year and used it 2 times already on our still good, but sure not new tires.
Ordering now, thanks for that!
Old 06-18-2018, 08:47 PM   #8

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
guns

You say your bringing a shotgun I thought guns were illegal in Canada? I think it would be a Good idea if it is legal.
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
You say your bringing a shotgun I thought guns were illegal in Canada? I think it would be a Good idea if it is legal.
He's not crossing the border with a gun, he lives in Canada. It's my understanding long guns are legal in Canada. It's only when crossing the border with any gun, that it can become an issue.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm just going to sit here and see how much misinformation can be posted in a single thread.
If you want to know about bringing weapons into Canada, Google Canada Border Services.
To learn about weapons in Canada, go Google and read sites that end in gc.ca
Here's one:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm
Old 06-18-2018, 11:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
He's not crossing the border with a gun, he lives in Canada. It's my understanding long guns are legal in Canada. It's only when crossing the border with any gun, that it can become an issue.

And even if he was crossing the border it would be a non-issue if he had an ATF permit. Border guards seem more interested in what food I have than what firearm I may or may not have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm just going to sit here and see how much misinformation can be posted in a single thread.
If you want to know about bringing weapons into Canada, Google Canada Border Services.
To learn about weapons in Canada, go Google and read sites that end in gc.ca
Here's one:
Canadian Firearms Program - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
I agree, there's so much mis-information about firearms in Canada. Basically, many Americans seem to be of the belief that because our gun laws are stricter Canadians can't have guns. Nothing could be further from the truth. The basic differences are that we can't have either open or concealed carry or fully automatic weapons. And some semi-automatic weapons classifed as assault weapons are prohibited also. Canadians can own handguns but snub nosed ones are prohibited unless you possessed them before the law changed. Other than that, we do the paperwork and don't have a criminal record and we're good to go. I was going to say locked and loaded but that expression drives me nuts.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
How old are the batteries in your trailer and your tow vehicle? Have you had them tested recently? Auto Parts stores here in the US will test batteries for no charge.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #13

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
guns

thanks for enlightment about Canada's gun laws . I think a Shotgun might be useful going up into the interior where you could be on your own .

BTW a friend from Seattle told me that is why Canada is so safe because guns aren't allowed and I might have to send him this url
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
How old are the batteries in your trailer and your tow vehicle? Have you had them tested recently? Auto Parts stores here in the US will test batteries for no charge.
Both are less then three years but I'll see about testing them at one of my local mechanics! Wouldn't have thought about that. There is only one Canadian Tire at the beginning of the trip in Yellowknife and it would be almost ten days before I hit the next one in BC.
Thanks for the suggestion
Old 06-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

And even if he was crossing the border it would be a non-issue if he had an ATF permit. Border guards seem more interested in what food I have than what firearm I may or may not have.

I agree, there's so much mis-information about firearms in Canada. Basically, many Americans seem to be of the belief that because our gun laws are stricter Canadians can't have guns. Nothing could be further from the truth. The basic differences are that we can't have either open or concealed carry or fully automatic weapons. And some semi-automatic weapons classifed as assault weapons are prohibited also. Canadians can own handguns but snub nosed ones are prohibited unless you possessed them before the law changed. Other than that, we do the paperwork and don't have a criminal record and we're good to go. I was going to say locked and loaded but that expression drives me nuts.

Ron
Thanks Ron! I thought the thread was going to get away from us there
More like, "Locked up and not loaded"...
Old 06-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
thanks for enlightment about Canada's gun laws . I think a Shotgun might be useful going up into the interior where you could be on your own .

BTW a friend from Seattle told me that is why Canada is so safe because guns aren't allowed and I might have to send him this url
It really is for peace of mind, but I sure won't hesitate to scare away any large beastie that may wander into our midst.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by deange View Post
Both are less then three years but I'll see about testing them at one of my local mechanics! Wouldn't have thought about that. There is only one Canadian Tire at the beginning of the trip in Yellowknife and it would be almost ten days before I hit the next one in BC.
Thanks for the suggestion
It’s not that unusual to see the trailer battery near end of life at three years. Worth checking. Just replaced my F150 battery, 7 years old, trailer battery test comes next, it’s five years old. We are planning heading to AK in August.

Be sure to check jack and lug wrench on trailer wheels including spare! I recently had a flat and changed the tire at our home. The nuts on the spare didn’t really like my lug wrench so I grabbed a socket and a 1/2 inch breaker bar. It’s now in the truck.

I’m taking a spare black tank drain valve. The drain valve sticks out sideways on my trailer. Very vulnerable to damage! Recently replaced one cracked in half. Can buy one on amazon for very little.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
A spare fresh water tank drain spigot/cap would be a good back up. 150 miles on Nevada gravel road taught me that one.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
A spare fresh water tank drain spigot/cap would be a good back up. 150 miles on Nevada gravel road taught me that one.
Good to know, where did you pick one up?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Given where you are going I would consider taking along a small generator. That way you know you can always charge the trailer batteries if solar and tow vehicle charge isn't panning out due to consecutive cloudy days and/or periods of limited driving. With the small inverter generators like the Honda EU2000 or 2200i you can even charge a vehicle battery in a pinch with the 12V DC output (unregulated) if you purchase the right cord.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote