Tow vehicle range needed for trip to Alaska - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Tow vehicle range needed for trip to Alaska

I am considering making another attempt to go to Alaska in 2021. When pulling my trailer, my Tacoma has a range of about 220 miles between fill-ups, which is nothing to write home about. Would this be sufficient for driving to and about Alaska, or should I wait until I have another tow vehicle with greater range?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Just FYI, maybe of interest ...

Alaska Highway Camping and Gas Stations Guide Download
Old 12-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
In 2015 I had only one difficulty pulling my 17 with a RAV4 that got less than 200 miles on a tank, and that was because a station in the Yukon had a busted generator & couldn't pump gas. Made it to the next station on fumes. (I did have a 2.5 gallon spare gas can, but never needed it)

The most up to date fuel & campground list I found was a handout at the visitor center in Dawson Creek.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 escape 19' with 2012 Chevy 1500
Mike, I drove to Alaska last year and at first was always worrying about gas stations but never found a situation where they were more than 100 miles apart. On the way back I didn't worry about it as much but I did try to fill up at the little stations out in the middle of nowhere. They need the business and it is so nice to have them there. Sometimes we saw airplanes land on the highway and fill up at the gas stations also.
j3cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21C 2020
If it were me I’d carry two 5 gallon gas cans in the bed of the truck and fill for more remote trips, particularly if you want to unhitch and explore with the TV.
AKRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0
I agree with AKRogers, I always carry 10 gallons when towing...but only if you have the room in your truck bed of course. I would add: having a nice siphon is a good idea too, makes fill-ups from the cans much easier and cleaner.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While the 220 mile range may be adequate, it would concern me... if only because we tend to travel at odd hours and might find gas stations closed, and because I dislike being forced to buy gas at excessively high prices due to remote locations. Our Sienna does about 800 km (500 miles) on a tank by itself, but only just under 500 km (300 miles) with the trailer, and that's about as short as I would like to go. It has about the same size of fuel tank as the Tacoma.

A solution which is less extreme than replacing the tow vehicle and both safer and more effective than carrying portable fuel containers might be to add an auxiliary tank to the truck, or to replace the stock tank with a larger one. The tank capacity could be increased by 50%, unfortunately, neither is cheap, and this is the sort of thing that is more commonly used in other parts of the world than here - you might need to get it from Australia.

There is a slick in-bed tank from Titan, shaped to fit at the side extending over the wheel well (a style of box or tank called a "pork chop"); dimensions are in the listing, but it is intended for a full-size truck and might be too big for a Tacoma.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

Thanks! The link is a reminder that I also have a copy of The Milepost that I bought last year, as I thought I'd go to Alaska in 2020 before curtailing my trip. It should help with planning as well.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
..... I also have a copy of The Milepost that I bought last year, as I thought I'd go to Alaska in 2020 before curtailing my trip. It should help with planning as well.
Yep, The Milepost is great, good luck and Have Fun with a 2021 venture!
Old 12-07-2020, 03:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Mike, Hopefully the border will be open. With the predicted jump in Holiday travel infections its my guess that the border will remain closed. However, with vaccinations on the horizon, perhaps the closure will soften (well ... what do I know?).

Good luck,

Tom
Old 12-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #11

I set a target date of May 1 to have my trailer ready to leave on a trip, with details of the trip TBD. I'm hoping the vaccine for Covid will be widely available by then and that the border with Canada will be open. If not, then I'll adjust.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:19 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I set a target date of May 1 to have my trailer ready to leave on a trip, with details of the trip TBD. I'm hoping the vaccine for Covid will be widely available by then and that the border with Canada will be open. If not, then I'll adjust.
Sounds great Mike and I hope everything works out perfectly. It's nice to have a countdown goal
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
That sounds great Mike. Should you find yourself in Juneau, give me a shout. I'd enjoy meeting you.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:39 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Any epic trip like this deserves a writeup in the trips section. Lots of pictures please.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:08 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While the 220 mile range may be adequate, it would concern me... if only because we tend to travel at odd hours and might find gas stations closed, and because I dislike being forced to buy gas at excessively high prices due to remote locations. Our Sienna does about 800 km (500 miles) on a tank by itself, but only just under 500 km (300 miles) with the trailer, and that's about as short as I would like to go. It has about the same size of fuel tank as the Tacoma.

A solution which is less extreme than replacing the tow vehicle and both safer and more effective than carrying portable fuel containers might be to add an auxiliary tank to the truck, or to replace the stock tank with a larger one. The tank capacity could be increased by 50%, unfortunately, neither is cheap, and this is the sort of thing that is more commonly used in other parts of the world than here - you might need to get it from Australia.

There is a slick in-bed tank from Titan, shaped to fit at the side extending over the wheel well (a style of box or tank called a "pork chop"); dimensions are in the listing, but it is intended for a full-size truck and might be too big for a Tacoma.
Have a look at the TransferFlow tanks. I have the 75 aux tank and it's great. Auto pumps to the main tank when stock tank gauge reads about 1/2.

transferflow.com
RangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
We have quite a bit of range in our tv but top off somewhat frequently in case unexpected detours such as wildfire/washouts and just for a good safety net. Be careful relying on a single gas station and no backup. We have found a closed down gas station where an open one was supposed to be on several occasions. Also, some seasonal locations may not be open in early May.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:08 PM   #17

My plan is to go into Canada for the Escape Trailer Rally in late May, assuming it is held in 2021. From there I'd make my way to Alaska, taking a couple of weeks so I'd be there in June.

This is similar to the plan for my aborted trip early this year, except I'll leave home later and take a more direct route to Osoyoos, leaving California unmolested this time. Too early and too many variables now to make a good plan, but I have to start thinking about it.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #18

Trailer: 2021 21c
Gas enroute to ak

Drove up last summer hauling a 25’ stick built. Only got 180 miles to a tank. Half the stations were closed so couldn’t depend on the milepost for gas locations. Had to use my 2 extra 5 gals twice on the trip. Hopefully the border will be wide open next summer-not sure how many small lodges and gas stops have survived the loss of business, so be prepared.
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Here's one long stretch.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3735.jpeg  
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
I am considering making another attempt to go to Alaska in 2021. When pulling my trailer, my Tacoma has a range of about 220 miles between fill-ups, which is nothing to write home about. Would this be sufficient for driving to and about Alaska, or should I wait until I have another tow vehicle with greater range?
You could always get a hitchrack for the rear of the trailer like this one from Harbor Freight.

It weighs 31 lbs, figure around 35 lbs for each 5 gallon plastic can of gas.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote