Towing from Salt Lake City to Spokane - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2024, 09:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 TA & 2023 F-150 XLT
Towing from Salt Lake City to Spokane

I'm planning a longer trip out west for next year. My brother and his wife are going to pull their RV from their home in Florida to Alaska and back. We are gong to join them for much of the journey in the lower 48.

From Salt Lake City they turn west to the California coast. We have a California trip coming this Fall, so I'm thinking of a different route that gets us to Washington state (North Cascades National Park) where they jump off to head into Canada Has anyone travelled I-84 from Salt Lake and on up into the Portland area? What are some of the highlights along the way, campgrounds and points of interest? We'd also like to include Spokane and maybe Coeur D'Alene?

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlay View Post
I'm planning a longer trip out west for next year. My brother and his wife are going to pull their RV from their home in Florida to Alaska and back. We are gong to join them for much of the journey in the lower 48.

From Salt Lake City they turn west to the California coast. We have a California trip coming this Fall, so I'm thinking of a different route that gets us to Washington state (North Cascades National Park) where they jump off to head into Canada Has anyone travelled I-84 from Salt Lake and on up into the Portland area? What are some of the highlights along the way, campgrounds and points of interest? We'd also like to include Spokane and maybe Coeur D'Alene?

Thanks for the help.
We just moved to Idaho 3 months ago and start our new adventures with the 5.0 this weekend. We should have some recommendations for you by the end of this summer.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 05:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 - 2023 F-150 3.5L EB
[QUOTE=zzlay;469498]I'm planning a longer trip out west for next year. My brother and his wife are going to pull their RV from their home in Florida to Alaska and back. We are gong to join them for much of the journey in the lower 48.
(clip)
We have towed our E-21 from SLC to Spokane multiple times as we have family in the Spokane area. You will want to take I-84 N through SLC (we always try to go through SLC in the morning on weekend day) then get onto I-15 N at Tremonton. You will continue on I-15N until you connect with I-90 just past Deer Lodge, MT for the run over the mountain passes in Montana and Idaho to Spokane.

Pretty straight forward drive which you can easily do in 2 days. For fun, try to count the number of times I-90 crosses the Clark Fork River along that stretch of I-90 in Montana. We are always in a rush to get to Spokane so we don't do any sightseeing on the way, thus I can't advise you on places to visit on the way.
Chama (a river in NM)
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 06:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
[QUOTE=Chama;469530]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlay View Post
For fun, try to count the number of times I-90 crosses the Clark Fork River along that stretch of I-90 in Montana.
Nobody knows how many times it crosses because no one can count that high!
Old 05-28-2024, 08:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Well, hmmmm… I’ve lived in the western US since 1985, and after numerous trips driving through SLC, I just won’t do it any more. Especially while towing. Perhaps I’ve lived in a rural area for too long, but I can’t stomach the traffic. I’ll drive out of my way for hours or days to avoid SLC, and that’s no joke.

If you’re used to big city traffic, you’ll probably be OK with it. Also, if you can plan to hit it on a Sunday morning, it won’t be bad. You’ll breeze through.

What I do now when traveling north from that part of the US is stay south of SLC on I70, then I’ll go north to Salina on 89, then northwest on 50 to Scipio, south on I15 to where 50 heads west again, get on 50 and head west over to Nevada. From there, you can go north, west, wherever you like. It’s all fast and scenic 2 lane highways. The route through Utah on I70 west of Green River is really, really scenic, and I’ve never experienced much traffic. Is it longer if you’re headed west and north?? Heck yes. But far less stressful, at least for those of us not comfortable towing in heavy traffic.

As an aside, for me towing my Escape, taking these kinds of routes have become part of the adventure. I pretty much avoid interstates whenever possible. It’s not about taking the fastest and most efficient route. It’s about seeing and experiencing parts of the country people on interstates miss.

Hope this helps!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote