Trailer Pickup Fail and Turn Around, Head Home - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2020, 01:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Trailer Pickup Fail and Turn Around, Head Home

So we left London Ontario and headed for Chilliwack Saturday morning. Saturday night we had planned on getting to Thunder Bay, we made it to Marathon, 3 hours shy of our destination. From Sudbury, it was slow going. Many towns and villages with reduced speed limits, sink holes in marshy areas, frost heaves, and west of Wawa, we drove about 70km of gravel. I figured 4 days to get to Chilliwack, I was worried it was going to take longer. I was more concerned about the return, I was estimating 8 plus days towing. After a sleepless night, we turned around and decided to have the trailer delivered.

Other concerns. Last week the Manitoba government started the requirement for the 14 day quarantine. I called the RCMP while on the road, they said you would be ok as long as you drove right through. They did note that it could be up to the discretion of an officer. Another concern is BC residents have not been very welcoming to outsiders from what the news was saying, I didn’t want any confrontations.

We have done many trips to Florida and a cross country trip to LA with ease, but I don’t think I’ll ever try to cross Canada again, the roads were terrible. FROM EASTERN CANADA, GET IT DELIVERED!

Current Canadian Travel Restrictions

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sandram.../#4e58162e6d27
Old 06-11-2020, 02:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Just did a Google maps thing. But why drive across Canada? Seems more direct crossing into Michigan then either north from Detroit or west on a Lake boat ride across the states. Oh wait, the border is closed?

Never mind. Good decision.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Sorry to hear that Doug, note that highways in Western Canada are likely better than #17 in ON.

Jim when we go to southern ON we always go through the US, just cannot now.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
From Sudbury, it was slow going. Many towns and villages with reduced speed limits, sink holes in marshy areas, frost heaves, and west of Wawa, we drove about 70km of gravel.
We have done many trips to Florida and a cross country trip to LA with ease, but I don’t think I’ll ever try to cross Canada again, the roads were terrible.
The highways across northern Ontario are highly variable: there are lots of great sections, but lots under reconstruction or desperately needing it. What you find depends on the year that you travel and the specific route that you take.

The Prairies have their issues, too, with some really bumpy pavement on the Trans-Canada in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. I ended up driving in the left lane on some divided 4-lane sections with no other traffic, because the surface was a lot smoother than in the right lane.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The highways across northern Ontario are highly variable: there are lots of great sections, but lots under reconstruction or desperately needing it. What you find depends on the year that you travel and the specific route that you take.

The Prairies have their issues, too, with some really bumpy pavement on the Trans-Canada in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. I ended up driving in the left lane on some divided 4-lane sections with no other traffic, because the surface was a lot smoother than in the right lane.
So it appears that more people are driving away from the east vs returning, based upon the wear on the highways............go west young man.........
Old 06-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
You likely did the right thing.

If something ain't working, best to re-evaluate and change course.

I've driven many of those roads around northern Ontario in years past and didn't have an issue. One year, around July 1 and the busy national holiday, rain caused landslides east of Thunder Bay, on the Queens Hwy #17, allowed us to find a camp spot at Pukaskwa N. P. Folks from the West were stopped from coming & filling up the park. We came up from the East, thru Sault St. Marie. Dumb luck for us. Bad luck for you, but you'll get your rig.

bon voyage,
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 - 19
The roads through canada at the best of times are rough. Good call especially with all our health officers asking us to avoid non-essential travel!
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
So we left London Ontario and headed for Chilliwack Saturday morning. Saturday night we had planned on getting to Thunder Bay, we made it to Marathon, 3 hours shy of our destination. From Sudbury, it was slow going. Many towns and villages with reduced speed limits, sink holes in marshy areas, frost heaves, and west of Wawa, we drove about 70km of gravel. I figured 4 days to get to Chilliwack, I was worried it was going to take longer. I was more concerned about the return, I was estimating 8 plus days towing. After a sleepless night, we turned around and decided to have the trailer delivered.

Other concerns. Last week the Manitoba government started the requirement for the 14 day quarantine. I called the RCMP while on the road, they said you would be ok as long as you drove right through. They did note that it could be up to the discretion of an officer. Another concern is BC residents have not been very welcoming to outsiders from what the news was saying, I didn’t want any confrontations.

We have done many trips to Florida and a cross country trip to LA with ease, but I don’t think I’ll ever try to cross Canada again, the roads were terrible. FROM EASTERN CANADA, GET IT DELIVERED!

Current Canadian Travel Restrictions

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sandram.../#4e58162e6d27

We went from Edmonton to Ottawa last June. About 3500 km each way, did 500 k per day for 7 days on way there and same on the way back. Had 2 weeks there visiting one of our kids and grand kids.
We did the trans Canada and the roads were not good although they seemed to be working on them about every 50 km in Northern Ontario which slowed us down for sure. Lots of slowing down to 50 or 60 km/hour.
It was the first time we had seen that part of the country and we were OK with it as breaking it up into shorter days helped. We were planning on doing it again this June until Covid happened.
The roads are rough but the one thing that I missed was roadside stops where you could get out and stretch your legs or eat. That is where it is nice to have a trailer with everything you need right there.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Doug2000... "The road of life is always under construction"!!! Sorry you had to make a "U" turn. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
In 2015, after picking up our trailer in Chilliwack and hitting a couple of National Parks, we headed east toward Duluth and entered Canada on the northern side of Lake Superior, heading toward the Archipelago (just north of Parry Sound where my wife’s cousin lives). I actually found that the roads at that time were smooth, but what was noticeable was that almost every bridge was undergoing maintenance and they All had temporary traffic lights allowing only one-lane traffic. I realize roads degrade over time but I do not recall the ride being tough anywhere until I got back into some of the northern states.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:52 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Pickup adventures

We were finally able to pick up our new E 21C this week Monday we got a call saying that the pick up driver had broken down and so we wouldn’t be able to get to Lake Havasu , but he said could we meet him in south Phoenix so we drove like crazy across the Mojave desert and made it in the south Phoenix just in time to pick up our new trailer We spent five nights at beautiful McDowell Mountain Regional Park and now we’re at Sedona AZ for a couple days at Rancho Sedona RV park if you looking for a place to stay in Sedona this is it right in the middle of town with the hugest big shade trees you can imagine all of the park very very nice place and a clear river to wade in We love our new E21c !!!!!!! Kinda sorry we must head home in a few days. Figured out the wd hitch w help of YouTube and we up and running👍🏻😎😁
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:33 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
We were finally able to pick up our new E 21C this week Monday we got a call saying that the pick up driver had broken down and so we wouldn’t be able to get to Lake Havasu , but he said could we meet him in south Phoenix so we drove like crazy across the Mojave desert and made it in the south Phoenix just in time to pick up our new trailer We spent five nights at beautiful McDowell Mountain Regional Park and now we’re at Sedona AZ for a couple days at Rancho Sedona RV park if you looking for a place to stay in Sedona this is it right in the middle of town with the hugest big shade trees you can imagine all of the park very very nice place and a clear river to wade in We love our new E21c !!!!!!! Kinda sorry we must head home in a few days. Figured out the wd hitch w help of YouTube and we up and running👍🏻😎😁
Best laid plans of mice and men often go awry, glad you could work it out.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:55 AM   #13

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
We're not even going to try and drive to Chilliwack, especially in these crazy times, and how far away we are. Delivery sounds like a much better idea!
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:38 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Frank,
If you hatch date is in late spring, and things are more normal than now, I suggest you drive out and pick up you new Escape the week of the yearly rally held in Osoyoos. Next year it should be on 5/26-5/31. We picked ours up on Tuesday at Chilliwack, drove about 3 hours east to Osoyoos and attended the rally that weekend. It is one of the prettiest places to stay, British Columbia and Chilliwack are both beautiful. If there is anything wrong with the trailer Escape can normally have it fixed there at the rally. Then head home afterwards in your new home on wheels.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Frank,
If you hatch date is in late spring, and things are more normal than now, I suggest you drive out and pick up you new Escape the week of the yearly rally held in Osoyoos. Next year it should be on 5/26-5/31. We picked ours up on Tuesday at Chilliwack, drove about 3 hours east to Osoyoos and attended the rally that weekend. It is one of the prettiest places to stay, British Columbia and Chilliwack are both beautiful. If there is anything wrong with the trailer Escape can normally have it fixed there at the rally. Then head home afterwards in your new home on wheels.
Something to think about Jim. I've got 93,000 miles on my 2013 F150 and am a bit hesitant to add 6,000 more miles to it. On the other hand, it's one of those ecoboost Fords and it has never failed me yet. No warranty though...

We figure on sending the down payment in January, maybe February, so it shouldn't be a problem picking it up in Sumas in late May. No clue right now though.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Something to think about Jim. I've got 93,000 miles on my 2013 F150 and am a bit hesitant to add 6,000 more miles to it. On the other hand, it's one of those ecoboost Fords and it has never failed me yet. No warranty though...
I have 230,000 miles on my 1998 Ram, bought a new truck when we got our Escape last year because I figured my odds of having a major problem out in the boonies were growing. Still driving the 98 as my work truck, though, runs great and doesn't burn a drop of oil.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I have 230,000 miles on my 1998 Ram, bought a new truck when we got our Escape last year because I figured my odds of having a major problem out in the boonies were growing. Still driving the 98 as my work truck, though, runs great and doesn't burn a drop of oil.
Boy, that's great! I retired a year and a half ago or so, and since the pandemic hit NYS, rarely drive it other than to get parts for my hot rod. That's only a 10 or 12 mile round trip. We live in the boonies.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Schedule??

We were finally able to pick up our new E 21C 2 weeks ago as of tomorrow. [Monday].. Figured out the wd hitch w help of YouTube and we up and running�������� Spent some time in AZ w friends and relatives then stopped by Sedona. nice to see, but TERRIBLE traffic) and camped our way home. Made it last evening, after a day of rest from the road at a nice, woodsy Crowley's Ridge State Park in NE Arkansas.(thus we bypassed Memphis and Little Rock FOR SAFETY) ;-)
Was planning on heading for the TN DOT ofc this week to get new tags, but have not received a title. Gee..do I expect a title in the MAIL?? I expect the tag police will want to see one..
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:47 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post

We figure on sending the down payment in January, maybe February, so it shouldn't be a problem picking it up in Sumas in late May. No clue right now though.
We ordered the 19 footer early on purpose. At this point it has sat for 5 months for off gas and freshen up.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:34 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Tennessee title

Hollybee,
In Tennessee, and I imagine most states, the title you want is issued by the county tag and title office or county clerk's office. Among the papers you probably got from ETI is something like a Manufacturer's Statement (or Certificate) of Origin that you will submit to the county office to process for your title.

The office will also want to know the price. When I did mine 6 years ago the price was shown in Canadian Dollars only, and we had the controversy in the county office over an appropriate exchange rate and therefore the amount in USD to pay sales tax on. The last I heard, ETI is providing a Bill of Sale or similar document in USD, so that is what you want.

Take all your papers, and they will select what they want to see or keep. Make copies before you go, if you want to have a full set for yourself, in case they keep some.

After paying the approximately 7% sales tax, you will receive a plate, and in a few weeks, your title in the mail.

Don't forget to insure your trailer, if you haven't already. There have been discussions on this forum about possibly getting full replacement coverage from some providers. Some insurers will not have ETI in their database, so you may have to tell them to look harder for our brand, when quoting the coverage.

If you don't like the Davidson County tag office people, I think you can use a nearby smaller county, from what I've heard. My county clerk's office handled it all in an hour.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote