traveling to Humboldt from Washington- route?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
traveling to Humboldt from Washington- route??

I want to take my 17b and visit my grandkids in Humboldt (McKinleyville.) There is a daytime 2 hr delay possible on 101 south of Crescent city due to slide repair 9 am-5 p m weekdays.

So options I'm considering are 299 from Redding or hit Brookings (friend there) Sunday and leave early morning to hit the construction area by about 6-7 am.

Wondering if any locals have advice or if anyone else has traveled either route lately.

Also what can anyone tell me about CA-96?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0
I've spent a lot of time up there...I'd say that if you're already on the coast, you should opt for staying out there and trying to beat the closure. Going all the way out to the 5 and back is a super long detour that will add way more than 2 hours. There's simply no fast way from the 5 to the coast. It's one of the reasons I love that area and continue to go back...one of the few coastal areas that are still not easily accessible to the masses! That said, if you want to choose betwen the 299 and the 96, I like the 96, it's quite a gorgeous drive along the Klamath...
Old 04-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #3

Thanks. Might try it on the way home if the coast is windy and I don't want to leave so early. Google adds 2 hrs that way (no stop in Brookings) so it wouldn't be worse, just more driving less sitting.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:30 PM   #4

Tahoe Joe, is 96 nail-biting turns and drops, or just winding? And given a choice would you go east or west on it?
Old 04-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Tahoe Joe, is 96 nail-biting turns and drops, or just winding? And given a choice would you go east or west on it?
I don't think it's that bad, just winding, and either way is fine...but of course everyone's standards are different, not to mention tow setups. Do you know about the Mountain Directory? It's a guide book you can get, I use the phone app version of the West directory all the time. It's priceless for this kind of info and planning. Tells about grades, curves, etc for every major road and pass that you need to worry about...in fact if the stretch of road in question doesn't show any alerts on this map (like it is for 96) it means there's nothing too bad to be concerned with.
https://www.mountaindirectory.com/
Old 04-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
...if you want to choose betwen the 299 and the 96, I like the 96, it's quite a gorgeous drive along the Klamath...

Have never driven 96, but towed 299 from the coast to I-5 at Redding a few years ago. Remember it as being plenty scenic, but painfully slow going, with plenty of impatient people behind us and very few spots to pull over and let them pass.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:58 PM   #7

I drove 299 without a trailer and preferred it to 199. But this time it is way out of the way. Waiting for a report from someone who drove 101 early this morning to avoid the closures.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #8
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
I live in Arcata, and have driven (and towed) pretty much every way there is in and out of Humboldt. I'd not recommend 96. It's very narrow in places, very convoluted, and quite slow. But it is paved. Agree with others that detouring to I-5 and then taking 299 back to the coast is not ideal... especially given that from about now through April 15 (if CalTrans is correct), 299 will also have two hour delays for road work. If I were you I'd plan on hitting Last Chance Grade early in the morning or late in the evening. Or plan to sit for two hours and enjoy the view and hang out in your trailer!
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
I live in Arcata, and have driven (and towed) pretty much every way there is in and out of Humboldt. I'd not recommend 96. It's very narrow in places, very convoluted, and quite slow. But it is paved. Agree with others that detouring to I-5 and then taking 299 back to the coast is not ideal... especially given that from about now through April 15 (if CalTrans is correct), 299 will also have two hour delays for road work. If I were you I'd plan on hitting Last Chance Grade early in the morning or late in the evening. Or plan to sit for two hours and enjoy the view and hang out in your trailer!
That's my current plan but my daughter pointed out there could be another complete closure- so need at least a backup route.

(If it closes before I leave I wouldn't go.)