Trip ideas for mid April: So UT, No AZ, NV, NM - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2022, 01:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Trip ideas for mid April: So UT, No AZ, NV, NM

Happy New Year to all of you!

I am posting after a long time as we returned from a 6 week overseas trip visiting India, Germany and Iceland we started before Omicron became an active part of our vocabulary.

I am able to take 5-6 days off around mid-April. So, we are thinking of that as a window to do our first post- winter trip. Strictly speaking, not post winter but getting close. So, we want to go South from SLC to have the best chance of avoiding freezing temperatures for the sake of our camper. We want drive less and hike more.

For this reason, we are thinking Southern UT, Northern AZ, Northern NM (though that might be freezing), may be NV area - though we are open to ideas. Some of the ideas we have are -
  • Zion - Have been there many times but still love it. I could not get anything in the campsites for our period, hence expanding the search.
  • Capitol Reef/Grand Staircase-Escalante NM - Love the area and been there many times. Prefer to try something else.
  • Death Valley - Again, been there for extended period of time and could try something different.
  • Page, AZ area. Have never been there.
  • Vermillion Cliffs area
  • GC - North rim. Likely too cold for the camper. We have hiked to the bottom of GC. Don't know the trails that are near the rim itself yet substantial. Thinking freeze might be a concern.
Any ideas, advice, campgrounds, etc. would be highly appreciated.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While you can't make reservations, Valley of Fire State Park about 75 miles northeast of Vegas is a great place to spend a week. I've done far more than that on separate occasions. 2 campgrounds - one with some water & electric sites, and bathrooms with showers, the other near by is primitive. Lots of hiking opportunities, great night time skies. While I have a page of photos of the park here, if you go to my home page and use the google search window at the bottom, you can find my journals of my visits.

If you go to Page, be sure to take at least one of the slot canyon tours & check out the view of the Colorado River at Horseshoe Bend south of town. Some photos at the bottom of this page.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:00 PM   #3

Thank you so much! I will research this area and your home page. I have read your blog but it's been a while.

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-11-2022, 06:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Here's an idea.

Look up the San Rafael Swell and The Wedge. It's basically a mini Grand Canyon and it is right outside of Price, Utah.

It's in the desert so it should be warm in April. The water should be flowing in the river too. Breathtaking scenery if you like Utah rock and desert. The North section is a little easier (mostly) with great hieroglyphics and pictographs, while the southern district features world class slot canyons. Highly recommended. Watch for flash floods.

But not in June. Too hot!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 19'
Gosh so many awesome places! Here are my thoughts:
Goblin Valley (boondocking up wildhorse canyon road). Lots of roads to explore including backside of the reef
Kodachrome basin
Lee’s ferry ( near page). Water level very low on lake Powell. Here, you would be right on Colorado.
2nd valley of fire
Lots to explore around Blanding & Mexican Hat

Enjoy & will look forward to a trip report.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:10 PM   #6

Thank you! Very good ideas. We have been to San Rafael Swell - including Goblin Valley. I did try Kodachrome basin but campsite availability was an issue...

Will research some of the other areas mentioned.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
+1 for The Wedge and SRS in general as well as the greater Mexican Hat area. Most anything in Nevada, outside of southern/greater LV area, will be limited to basin valleys as mountain passes will likely still be snow covered; especially with the type of winter we're having this season!
Old 01-12-2022, 08:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Valley of fire in Nevada is great.
You might also try Snow Canyon in St. George.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
Red Canyon, west of Bryce Canyon, has a nice NF CG and several hiking trails, if it's not too chilly at 7,000 feet. If you go, be sure to take your camera along the Arches Trail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UTRedCanyon1 sm.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	60315
Old 01-12-2022, 06:01 PM   #10

Thanks Mike! We have been in this area quite a bit but not in red canyon.

For April trip, I will seek out warmer / lower elevation destinations. We are fine with cold but not as sure about the camper
Old 01-12-2022, 06:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
KAVM, keep the heater on and the camper will kick ass. It doesn't care if there is a little frost on the pumpkin.

Enjoy!

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post374937
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:19 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Red Canyon, west of Bryce Canyon, has a nice NF CG and several hiking trails, if it's not too chilly at 7,000 feet. If you go, be sure to take your camera along the Arches Trail.

Attachment 60315

Hey mike what is a good camp ground with full hookups at red canyon. Any info greatly appreciated

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote