Trip Planning - Central Great Plains - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2019, 11:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Trip Planning - Central Great Plains

We are okaying a road trip leaving just after Easter. Part of our planned route will take us through the central Great Plains.

Anyone want to chime in with suggestions as to whether we take I-70 or maybe I-80?

Any and all suggestions will be welcome.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you get a chance, stop in Minden, Ne off I80 in Nebraska. There is a cg attached that includes admission to the museum. We were there for a rally years ago and only got through 2 buildings, something like 4 more to tour. Great collection of memorabilia and other interesting things. Gotta return one day to see the rest of the story. Pioneer Village
Old 04-05-2019, 07:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We once overnighted at one of the three Cabela's (forgot which one) right on I-80. Very convenient.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Also the some rest stops on I80 in Iowa are adorned with illuminated wind mill blades at night, very interesting to see one up close and personal. I'm sure Iowa Dave can expound on some of these sights.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #5

Trailer: TBD
Maybe it's too far north for your trip but consider taking I-90 and visit the Black Hills, Custer State Park and the South Dakota Badlands.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
I-70 or I-80...? What about considering US36... The Indianapolis to Denver hiway. And signs along the hiway say so.

Since I generally only pull my trailer at a maximum of 60 mph, I prefer taking the two lane roads. I feel I see so much more of the US that way. And there's always something interesting along the way.

For example, in Kansas, how about visiting Nicodemus, one of the least visited Nat'l Monuments in the Nat'l Park System. Or the geographic center of the USA? I'm sure every county has something interesting to see and experience.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
I-70 or I-80...? What about considering US36... The Indianapolis to Denver hiway. And signs along the hiway say so.

Since I generally only pull my trailer at a maximum of 60 mph, I prefer taking the two lane roads. I feel I see so much more of the US that way. And there's always something interesting along the way.

For example, in Kansas, how about visiting Nicodemus, one of the least visited Nat'l Monuments in the Nat'l Park System. Or the geographic center of the USA? I'm sure every county has something interesting to see and experience.
How about the World's Largest Ball of Twine 40 minutes off of US36 south of Smith Center, KS in Cawker City, KS.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
Maybe it's too far north for your trip but consider taking I-90 and visit the Black Hills, Custer State Park and the South Dakota Badlands.
Thanks for the suggestion, but already in the plan for the way back. Our overall plan is a route from Vancouver, BC to Memphis and back, leaving just after Easter with a return to coincide with the Escape rally in Osoyoos.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote