Trip Report - CTX to Chilliwack and back - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Steve,

I asked Reace to build a 6" recessed cabinet for the fireplace/heater. He put a 12V drop behind it. Propane and the 12V drop are accessed through the rear panel of the bottom cabinet, which is screwed, not stapled in. I'll need to run the chimney through the 2 upper cabinets. I'm going to try to place it so that it doesn't simply run through the middle, but more along the side of those. I'll need to measure 20 times before I punch a 3" hole in the roof of my brand-new trailer :wince.

I'll post some pics this weekend when I get started on this.

Regards,

David
I too am interested in seeing the resultant.

Is this unit thermostatically controlled, or just volume controlled? Lots more questions, but think I will wait until after seeing the install.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:58 AM   #22

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Looks like your mpg took a hit similarly to mine going out unhitched and returning hitched. While the combined 15 mpg number is nice, in reality you are actually averaging closer to 12 mpg towing while hitched. .
I would definitely like better mpg while towing, even in light of the "cheaper" gas prices we currently have, compare to several years ago. However, I found the 36 gal tank and the GasBuddy app really helped in more strategic planning of fuel stops, so that I could get the most bang for my buck.

Unhitched, I just love to see 850 estimated miles til empty after a fill-up!

Regards,

David
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Re: heaters

I've had both the propane 9000 and the diesel Newport models in boats.

Both work well. I'm partial to the Newport but I've been around diesel engines so long I probably don't even smell the slight wiff of diesel that you might get from time to time.

The propane is virtually trouble free. It's not for no reason we the called the Newport our "fire breathing dragon"

The major advantage to this type of heater is that it just sits there quietly and puts out a nice even heat. No furnace noises etc. Much more enjoyable source of heat. I'm still contemplating installing a Newport on the wall between the bathroom door and dinette.

Ron
I absolutely agree, Ron. I like the efficiency of the unit wrt propane and battery use, the visual of the flames, the shiny stainless steel construction, and especially the quiet operation. We had a propane blower on a previous trailer and when that thing cycled, everyone in the vicinity knew it.

With the extra insulation above and below, I found that the trailer requires little to heat up, so this should be perfect.

Regards,

David
Old 10-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I too am interested in seeing the resultant.

Is this unit thermostatically controlled, or just volume controlled? Lots more questions, but think I will wait until after seeing the install.
It's volume controlled through a high/low propane and adjustable fan knob.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Jim, lots of good information in the install/operation manual. These look really neat, but are manual light and no thermostatic control. Dickinson recommends operating on low fuel setting with the fan versus high with no fan. Since the output difference with and without the fan running is apparently significant it would always be possible to wire the fan to a thermostat. That would at least give some control. The challenge I see is a proper mounting location in a smaller trailer that hasn't been designed for it.

http://dickinsonmarine.com/dm/wp-con...anual-2016.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
....... Hopefully that's rectified when we move into a larger house with acreage - and a SHOP to put it in.
Don't you really mean: SHOP with trailer storage, fully accessorized with an attached large house?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Six years ago I had a similar table problem with my 19'. It was delivered to Saulte St Marie ON and when we dropped the table for the first night it did not fit flat. A quick call to Escape and we had a new table delivered several weeks later. I had to change the hardware.

Knowing what I do now it probably would have been easier to have my local countertop shop fix it. I used them to make some modifications to the old table, giving me two methods of carrying a table. They commented when I came in with the table that they carried the same Formica and edging.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Don't you really mean: SHOP with trailer storage, fully accessorized with an attached large house?
Yes, a man cave for the man cave.....
Old 10-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #29

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Six years ago I had a similar table problem with my 19'. It was delivered to Saulte St Marie ON and when we dropped the table for the first night it did not fit flat. A quick call to Escape and we had a new table delivered several weeks later. I had to change the hardware.
I think the point is that ETI *should* have tested the table before installing it. How hard is it to set it on the bench edge/lips before installing it on the pedestal? It shouldn't take that long, a few minutes at the most, to check that the size is correct.

If that step isn't on a checklist, then it should be added. If it was, did anyone notice it wasn't checked off? Or maybe it was checked and that person hoped the OP would never use it for the bed support. Who knows at this point.

So, instead of ETI taking a few minutes to check, the OP has to hassle with taking the table into a shop and sending the bill to ETI. Or ETI has to send a new table, which won't be cheap to ship.

If this step isn't already on a checklist, I bet it will be now! Major bummer to the OP over this.

And congrats on your new trailer!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #30

In the grand scheme of things, if that is the only issue, which can easily be fixed, I'd be happy. There are too many other little irritants that exist that can take away one's enjoyment. I'm sure the check list was followed and the end result is quality. You will be able to comment first hand in a couple of months your impression.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
David, just thinking on the table thing, and maybe my thoughts are right out to lunch, or you have already considered them.

If the table is trapezoidal, I assume that the front is a bit wider, correct? Would it be possible to move the table just a bit forward on the pedestal mount to get it to drop into place, and if you did so, would it affect the use of the table when set up?

How much too wide do you estimate the table is?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In the grand scheme of things, if that is the only issue, which can easily be fixed, I'd be happy. There are too many other little irritants that exist that can take away one's enjoyment. I'm sure the check list was followed and the end result is quality. You will be able to comment first hand in a couple of months your impression.
Actually, after a week and a half in the trailer in some of our country's beautiful places, where big rigs don't dare to go, my impression is that I really LOVE our trailer. It's a pleasure to tow and use as our base camp. I'm not letting the table issue diminish my enjoyment, but we do need to get it fixed one way or the other in order to be completely functional.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #33

Quote:
David, just thinking on the table thing, and maybe my thoughts are right out to lunch, or you have already considered them.

If the table is trapezoidal, I assume that the front is a bit wider, correct? Would it be possible to move the table just a bit forward on the pedestal mount to get it to drop into place, and if you did so, would it affect the use of the table when set up?

How much too wide do you estimate the table is?
Jim,

I originally read the "trapezoidal" suggestion while at work and it really got my hopes up that I simply needed to rotate the table and all would be well. But alas, I ran home, tried the rotated position and .... no joy.

I'm out of whack about 1/4" to 3/8" and I don't see that re-positioning with the existing length will help.

Thanks for the ideas, though.

Regards,

David
Old 10-19-2016, 06:59 PM   #34

Wow, that close, maybe install a dehumidifier and after things shrink some, install the table and let it stay until things return to normal.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ha, very unlikely with 3/4" plywood. Obviously it has happened before and ETI replaced it. The tolerances are pretty close with the table in the down position. Odds are Reace will take care of you.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I don't know about the "trapeziodal" thing. My table sides are parallel -- exactly parallel. Do you mean the bench rails might not be?
Old 10-19-2016, 07:28 PM   #37

Quote:
I don't know about the "trapeziodal" thing. My table sides are parallel -- exactly parallel. Do you mean the bench rails might not be?
The table or rails don't look square, hence the trapezoidal comment. If the table were 1/2" smaller, it would fit fine, regardless of the rotation.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Measure side to side at the rear and them the front. If it isn't square it is a trapazoid.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Measure side to side at the rear and them the front. If it isn't square it is a trapazoid.
So, I have measured. The front and back are parallel, and the sides are parallel. There's of course the beveled 45s on the front corners, but otherwise, it's a rounded rectangle.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #40
Site Team

Also, the bench rails are parallel, and would not work with trapezoidal table sides.