Trip Report - CTX to Chilliwack and back - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Is the back side to side measurement identical to the front? Sure isn't on our 21 u-shape dinette.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Is the back side to side measurement identical to the front? Sure isn't on our 21 u-shape dinette.
Measured from about 2 inches in from the back edge, and then about 2 inches back from the bevel in the front. Sides are parallel. That's what confused me about the term trapezoid.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:38 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Sounds like the u-shape dinette in the front of a 19 is box-shaped whereas in the 21 it is sloped wider from rear to front as is the 17B dinette which is also in the rear- at least in the Classic series.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Sounds like the u-shape dinette in the front of a 19 is box-shaped whereas in the 21 it is sloped wider from rear to front as is the 17B dinette which is also in the rear- at least in the Classic series.
Ah, that might be. Never thought about it. In the OP's case though, whether it's square or a little off square, I think they just made the table a bit too wide.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:47 PM   #45

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I'm jumping into the middle of this without reading the entire thread, but it seems like the tables would be cut on a jig that produces the exact same size table top - one after another, little to no chance for a mistake. Could it be that someone at the factory just grabbed from the wrong pile of pre-cut table tops, and they mounted a wrong table top for your camper year/model? For example, they grabbed a table top for a 2017 5.0TA instead of one for a 2016 19' (or whatever, you get the idea). It would be interesting to contact Rease, and without telling him what camper you have, tell him the dimensions of the table top you have, then ask him what camper year/model that size table is supposed to fit. If he tells you something other than what you have, then a mistake was made in assembly at Chilliwack. Just a thought....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:54 PM   #46
Site Team

In any case, I should think one call to Reace would solve the problem.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:00 PM   #47

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
In any case, I should think one call to Reace would solve the problem.
"I'm getting a lot of credit for having said that earlier".
Old 10-19-2016, 11:13 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
"I'm getting a lot of credit for having said that earlier".
Yes, but what good is a quick solution? Gives us no time to debate. [emoji23]
Old 10-20-2016, 07:00 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Each model is different, a 19 "U" is not the same as a 21"U". when cutting the extra boards for my lounge area in BlackJack, the boards were not identical. Thus the trapezoid comment. See #230 here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...k-3134-23.html
Old 10-20-2016, 05:45 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
On the downside, one major ding on the ETI guys is that the table is dimensionally too large to sit on the rails as intended, and since it slides side to side, it tends to sit on the rail on one side and the bench lip on the other. It seems like this would have been obvious in the construction of the table top, the QA process, AND when they mounted our marine pedestal. I'm really not sure how to address this yet, but I imagine I'll either need to trim down the table top and re-edge it, or remove the oak veneer on both sides of the bench to get it to set on the rails properly. A trip back to Chilliwack for resolution isn't in my future...
I think this is a great reminder for those customers who order custom tables.

When you modify the existing table which comes standard with the trailer which is used to make the bed/dinette conversion you eliminate the opportunity to convert the dinette into a bed.

Many customers will order a 'Custom Table', as well as the standard table so they can still retain the opportunity to use the dinette as a bed when necessary. - Please note the Custom Table does result in additional pricing.

Please feel free to forward any other questions you may have to the Escape Office Team.
Escape Office is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #51

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Custom table? Well, okay then....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #52
Site Team

If the table is custom, and not the stock one that comes with the dinette (either bench or u-shaped), that would explain the fitment problem. I assumed from the OP's original post that it was stock, but just had the custom pedestal.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We all assumed and you know what that means, we were all wrong. I guess we should have known something was involved as this has not happened before and I doubt would happen again, but the op left out a very important piece of info, either due to lack of knowledge or what, but the issue has been answered.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Well, to ask the obvious question, David, was this table being made custom to your specifications? Or that it is understood to be the case, namely, that it will be different with that pedestal?

Our pedestals are "custom" in that they are not stock and we sent them to Escape. We did not ask for any other table but the stock. I can't say ours fits because I don't know if we checked it but we certainly expected that it would. Will check now!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I can't say ours fits because I don't know if we checked it but we certainly expected that it would. Will check now!
That's one advantage of having installed the pedestal myself post sale. I attached the pedestal to the table first, then collapsed it and used the bench rails as a guide for where to secure the pedestal to the floor. Exact fit into the rails.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:36 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That's one advantage of having installed the pedestal myself post sale. I attached the pedestal to the table first, then collapsed it and used the bench rails as a guide for where to secure the pedestal to the floor. Exact fit into the rails.
Escape installed our pedestals and they did an excellent job. They were incredibly solid, no wobble whatsoever. Wobble is one of the big complaints on such changes to tables.

We may have checked back then on the table but don't know at this point. Glad Escape did the pedestals.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Escape installed our pedestals and they did an excellent job. They were incredibly solid, no wobble whatsoever. Wobble is one of the big complaints on such changes to tables.

We may have checked back then on the table but don't know at this point. Glad Escape did the pedestals.
I've no doubt they installed it correctly. What I meant was that I know mine fits the rails correctly, because that was my reference when I installed it.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:43 PM   #58

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy and Escape Office View Post
When you modify the existing table which comes standard with the trailer which is used to make the bed/dinette conversion you eliminate the opportunity to convert the dinette into a bed.

Many customers will order a 'Custom Table', as well as the standard table so they can still retain the opportunity to use the dinette as a bed when necessary. - Please note the Custom Table does result in additional pricing.

Please feel free to forward any other questions you may have to the Escape Office Team.
Wait... what? When we ordered the trailer, we specified that we wanted a *narrower* table so that we could make a "lounge" similar to what Donna and others have done. The "lounge" idea seems like it would explicitly imply that the table needs to fit down onto the rails, so that the pillows fit flush on top. And, ETI did a great job in creating pillows for the dinette that actually facilitate that on the narrower table size. I agreed to make a filler board for the remaining gap on my own so that we could eventually use this area as a bed if needed. However, I didn't specify an exact length of the table because 1) it would seem obvious that it needs to fit down within the rails and not 3/8" overlapping, and 2) I had no idea what the final width between the constructed benches would be. Sure, it's on my build sheet as 35" wide, but I can assure you I didn't come up with this, and simply assumed it was correct to the 5.0 specs. The fact that we used a pedestal wouldn't seem to be of any import in this issue.

I'm curious as to whether others who requested a lounge configuration have the same problem?

I did send a note to ETI on this, and Reace's response was that I need to resolve it myself.

I can't adequately express how disappointed I am at this moment, considering our positive experience leading up to this point. Sure, I can find a way to fix it, and no, it's not a life-or-death issue, but this just seems to be a very different outcome than others have described.

Regards,

David
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #59

I have no idea why they would be making a table that is a little too wide for the rails and even more miffed that Reace would not fix that. Perhaps there's some piece of information missing. Not sure that I get what happened here. Wonder if Donna and others specified a narrower table (which by that I expect you mean less depth.) They will have to comment on whether their tables fit and what they specified.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:19 PM   #60

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd wait for the information, and then I'd get miffed, if necessary.