UniPass for toll roads - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
UniPass for toll roads

Since I travel in both the Northern states as well as FL and GA, I thought it might be nice to have a pass that allows me to travel in all those areas with a single pass.

I currently have three different MA EzPasses for NE travel, and a SunPass windshield sticker for each tow vehicle for FL travel, but I'm switching to a single UniPass issued via the Central FL Expressway Authority.

UniPass is an inclusive toll pass that works in 19 states (but not OK, TX, or KS), so if you travel from NY to FL you can do it all on a single pass now. You can switch the pass between vehicles, or you can buy separate passes at $14.95 each if you prefer.

Only one vehicle can be listed on the pass at a time though, so if you only have one transponder and switch from your SUV to your pickup truck, you will need to go to their website or use their app to update which vehicle you are driving before you hit the toll booth.

At this time, you cannot add your trailer tag numbers online, but you can call them and provide the trailer tag numbers to add to your transponder, so that when the tag reader reads your trailer tag it will recognize it as belonging to your UniPass account and not get a separate "toll by tag" bill.

I liked the MA tag website better since I could update my vehicles myself directly on line (although in MA you need to have one reader for your tow vehicle, then switch to another reader if you pulled a single axle trailer, and yet another reader if you pulled a double axle trailer). My last trip I accidentally had my single axle transponder as I pulled our double axle Escape 19 across OH, NY, VT, PA, and DE but fortunately those states billed me correctly.

I'll find out this month if it works correctly up in the NE states, and then again in Feb as I travel through the FL toll roads.
Attached Thumbnails
UniPass as of Nov 2021.JPG  
Old 11-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Since I travel in both the Northern states as well as FL and GA, I thought it might be nice to have a pass that allows me to travel in all those areas with a single pass.

I currently have three different MA EzPasses for NE travel, and a SunPass windshield sticker for each tow vehicle for FL travel, but I'm switching to a single UniPass issued via the Central FL Expressway Authority.

UniPass is an inclusive toll pass that works in 19 states (but not OK, TX, or KS), so if you travel from NY to FL you can do it all on a single pass now. You can switch the pass between vehicles, or you can buy separate passes at $14.95 each if you prefer.

Only one vehicle can be listed on the pass at a time though, so if you only have one transponder and switch from your SUV to your pickup truck, you will need to go to their website or use their app to update which vehicle you are driving before you hit the toll booth.

At this time, you cannot add your trailer tag numbers online, but you can call them and provide the trailer tag numbers to add to your transponder, so that when the tag reader reads your trailer tag it will recognize it as belonging to your UniPass account and not get a separate "toll by tag" bill.

I liked the MA tag website better since I could update my vehicles myself directly on line (although in MA you need to have one reader for your tow vehicle, then switch to another reader if you pulled a single axle trailer, and yet another reader if you pulled a double axle trailer). My last trip I accidentally had my single axle transponder as I pulled our double axle Escape 19 across OH, NY, VT, PA, and DE but fortunately those states billed me correctly.

I'll find out this month if it works correctly up in the NE states, and then again in Feb as I travel through the FL toll roads.
FYI the MA Ez Pass you CAN add your camper to it....Due to VT plates saying Truck on them I DO have a commercial transponder which is slightly different but it works with my camper and no transponder changing all I had to do was list the camper plate. I have used it from ME to NC with no problems and I understand that it should include SUN Pass shortly.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
FYI the MA Ez Pass you CAN add your camper to it....Due to VT plates saying Truck on them I DO have a commercial transponder which is slightly different but it works with my camper and no transponder changing all I had to do was list the camper plate. I have used it from ME to NC with no problems and I understand that it should include SUN Pass shortly.
It would appear that should certainly be the case, but when I contacted EzPass MA several years ago when we first got our pass, they told me I needed a different pass if I went from two axle tow vehicle to a three axle configuration with single axle trailer trailer, and they repeated that last year when I got our Escape which makes it a four axle configuration. That's why I have 3 passes for either 2 axle, 3 axle, and 4 axle.
Their website still says the same thing, so who knows what the real answer is?
Attached Thumbnails
EZPASS MA.JPG