"Walking on Top of the World" - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2018, 01:08 AM   #1
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
"Walking on Top of the World"

People have often ask, Why do you go up to the Sierras so much." I normally just grin and look up into the Sky".
Tin.

“Another glorious Sierra day in which one seems to be dissolved and absorbed and sent pulsing onward we know not where. Life seems neither long nor short, and we take no more heed to save time or make haste than do the trees and stars. This is true freedom, a good practical sort of immortality.”
― John Muir, My First Summer in the Sierra

Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 AM   #2

Trailer: none
Nice, Tin!

A documentary movie that got me interested in possibly hiking the JMT is one I found on Netflix a while back called Mile. Mile and a Half. Better get cracking as I'm not getting any younger! Here is the trailer:
Old 10-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
Tin

Nice Hilola!
Really nice doc. loved all the John Muir Quotes and those of the hikers. Although I have never thru hiked the JMT I have sectioned hiked it, and this doc resonates deeply the sites, sounds, and comments amazing. Now that I am older and fatter I can only Spot Hike it . But hope is not lost both of my sons are strong backpackers and their trips are getting longer and longer. One day I hope to hear the words "Dad brother and I are going to thru hike the JMT".
Tin.
P.S. This doc. "Mile. Mile and a Half" is also on Amazon Prime, so if you are a Prime member check it out.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Nice Hilola!
Really nice doc. loved all the John Muir Quotes and those of the hikers. Although I have never thru hiked the JMT I have sectioned hiked it, and this doc resonates deeply the sites, sounds, and comments amazing. Now that I am older and fatter I can only Spot Hike it . But hope is not lost both of my sons are strong backpackers and their trips are getting longer and longer. One day I hope to hear the words "Dad brother and I are going to thru hike the JMT".
Tin.
P.S. This doc. "Mile. Mile and a Half" is also on Amazon Prime, so if you are a Prime member check it out.
I thru hiked it in ‘03, Tin. A buddy and his 21 year old son and I did it in 15 days. It was a rough 15 MPD. My grandson is now 17 years old and wants to do it next summer. I can get in good shape, but at 67 years old, it may take us 20 days. It would be the hike of a lifetime!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
I thru hiked it in ‘03, Tin. A buddy and his 21 year old son and I did it in 15 days. It was a rough 15 MPD. My grandson is now 17 years old and wants to do it next summer. I can get in good shape, but at 67 years old, it may take us 20 days. It would be the hike of a lifetime!
Wow Steve that is awesome and great pace! good luck with getting your permit, sounds like another hike of a lifetime.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Wow Steve that is awesome and great pace! good luck with getting your permit, sounds like another hike of a lifetime.

Thanks Tin,
I’ve got the permit application and the date marked on my calendar for 2019. I’m hoping the demand allows at least 50% of those in the lottery to get their preferred date. We have a narrow window, as my GS will be working and
starting college. We did Half-Dome 5 years ago, where the lottery only allowed about 25% of applicants to get their date. We had a party of 4 and each one of us did an application. We got lucky!
I’ve heard rumors that the Yosemite Valley CGs will soon be going to a lottery system also. It can’t happen soon enough for us. Due to aftermarket dealers gaming the system, normal folks like us hardly have a chance. We haven’t even tried in years.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote