We're on the road again - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ruth, on my Big Trip in 2018, I stayed at the KOA Chicago, which is actually in Union (west of Chicago about 56 miles NW). Nice park. We took the Metra to Soldier Field from Woodstock which is about 12 miles north of Union. I'd stay there again: https://koa.com/campgrounds/chicago/

BTW, I didn't find the Chicago traffic to be all that bad, but then again, I also drove/towed through downtown Montreal during rush hour (as a comparison)
Donna, I can't believe that your big trip was two years ago! We've never driven in Montreal and maybe the traffic is worse than Chicago but I would think the roads are better -- fewer pot holes. But it's an interesting idea to stay in that KOA and then leave really early in the morning.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:46 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Like everything else at this time
Weakly.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-02-2020, 07:39 PM   #63

Vashon Island

I just posted to my blog https://ruthmatilskyworld.wordpress.com/

We have been on Vashon Island for about two months -- The highlight was being here in time for our new grandchild's birth. The second highlight was seeing the comet Neowise. At first we needed to go to the beach by the Maury Island Light House to see it (you'll have to go to the blog to see the picture he took at the lighthouse). As it got higher in the sky, Terry was able to get a photo of it right over our Escape, parked in our children's back yard.
Attached Thumbnails
lighthouse-3_small.jpg   rig+comet-2.jpg  
Old 08-02-2020, 09:39 PM   #64

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ruth, on my Big Trip in 2018, I stayed at the KOA Chicago, which is actually in Union (west of Chicago about 56 miles NW). Nice park. We took the Metra to Soldier Field from Woodstock which is about 12 miles north of Union. I'd stay there again: https://koa.com/campgrounds/chicago/

BTW, I didn't find the Chicago traffic to be all that bad, but then again, I also drove/towed through downtown Montreal during rush hour (as a comparison)

Try Wacker Drive, downtown, at 5 pm on any weekday.

In all my life, I have never seen such a thing.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #65

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I just posted to my blog https://ruthmatilskyworld.wordpress.com/

We have been on Vashon Island for about two months -- The highlight was being here in time for our new grandchild's birth. The second highlight was seeing the comet Neowise. At first we needed to go to the beach by the Maury Island Light House to see it (you'll have to go to the blog to see the picture he took at the lighthouse). As it got higher in the sky, Terry was able to get a photo of it right over our Escape, parked in our children's back yard.
Lovely photos, Ruthie, and congratulations on your new grandchild! I'm hoping to get a good view of Neowise when we camp out locally (Galveston) later in the week.

PS: Just found your blog. LOVE it!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:59 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
I'm hoping to get a good view of Neowise when we camp out locally (Galveston) later in the week.
Is it still around? We've been up in the Cariboo with nice dark skies and the last time we viewed it, a few days ago, it was pretty faint.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:00 PM   #67

Seeing the Comet

The comet will still be visible with binoculars, although it is getting further away and will not be as strong. I'm attaching a snapshot of a sky map to show its position in the sky from Galveston. In simple language it's kind of two cup diameters to the left of the cup of the Big Dipper.
Attached Thumbnails
Galveston.jpg  
Old 08-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #68

Quote:
The comet will still be visible with binoculars, although it is getting further away and will not be as strong. I'm attaching a snapshot of a sky map to show its position in the sky from Galveston. In simple language it's kind of two cup diameters to the left of the cup of the Big Dipper.
Thanks, Ruth! I learned to locate the Big Dipper as a child, so perhaps we'll catch a glimmer of Neowise at the Gulf Thursday night.

Happy and safe travels!

Old 08-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #69

North DAkota

Driving east we decided to detour around the Sturgis rally and found ourselves in Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park in North Dakota. We were lucky to get a site with electric and water right on the river. This saw this sunrise out our back window.
Attached Thumbnails
Abe-lincoln-back-window.jpg  
Old 08-19-2020, 04:56 PM   #70

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Nice... did you stop at Medora?
Attached Thumbnails
Medora,ND.jpg  
Old 08-20-2020, 07:53 AM   #71

We didn't stop at Medora. We've been to Theodore Roosevelt a couple of times but it is closed right now. We still thought about going there -- we like the town, but logistically it didn't work out.

What is the picture?
Old 08-20-2020, 10:37 AM   #72

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
That's a small rodeo arena we spotted on the eastern fringe of the road into Medora (from Fargo). We were towing our Scamp on our way to Roscoe, MT. Saw the activity, made a quick left turn to check it out. It was a very local quarter horse auction in progress that featured demos of how the quarter horses performed. For me, a Jersey guy, it was wonderful, totally exotic stuff. Took pictures, and did this one painting from them.

The Badlands are all good.
Attached Thumbnails
Medora.jpg  
Old 08-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #73

Great painting!
Old 08-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #74

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Nice work Myron.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #75

Impressive, Myron! I'm so in awe of what artists are able to capture! My puny stick men manage to be awkward on the page!

Old 08-28-2020, 07:18 AM   #76

Our tire shredded

We had a bit of a problem yesterday in Ohio. All of a sudden our back driver side tire shredded, ripping a hole in the fiberglass, pulling off the door to the hot water heater and bending its frame and pulling off some of the wood that it was mounted to. Also pulled off the cover to our stinky slinky sending it far away. Pieces of the tire hit the car that was traveling behind us --The folks in the car at first thought their own tire had shredded. We were lucky to be able to pull off the highway almost immediately and there was by sheer luck a large area where we could park the trailer. The folks who had been behind us pulled off also and helped us. The son was 17 and he helped Terry change our tire. They couldn't have been nicer. Then a local guy stopped to see if he could help. It was so good to have people helping us -- it kept us calm.

The hole in the fiberglass leads into the storage space under our bed. Terry ductaped the hole just before the rains hit. Thank goodness we are almost home, so now we're figuring out where we'll take it to get fixed.

It could have been a lot worse. All our systems are working, including the hot water heater.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #77

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Glad everyone is safe
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:39 AM   #78

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tire trouble

Quote:
We had a bit of a problem yesterday in Ohio. All of a sudden our back driver side tire shredded, ripping a hole in the fiberglass, pulling off the door to the hot water heater and bending its frame and pulling off some of the wood that it was mounted to. Also pulled off the cover to our stinky slinky sending it far away. Pieces of the tire hit the car that was traveling behind us --The folks in the car at first thought their own tire had shredded. We were lucky to be able to pull off the highway almost immediately and there was by sheer luck a large area where we could park the trailer. The folks who had been behind us pulled off also and helped us. The son was 17 and he helped Terry change our tire. They couldn't have been nicer. Then a local guy stopped to see if he could help. It was so good to have people helping us -- it kept us calm.

The hole in the fiberglass leads into the storage space under our bed. Terry ductaped the hole just before the rains hit. Thank goodness we are almost home, so now we're figuring out where we'll take it to get fixed.

It could have been a lot worse. All our systems are working, including the hot water heater.
Hi Ruthe
Sorry to hear you had tire trouble in Ohio. For my own information I wonder if you could tell me about the tires on your Escape?
Are they originals with the trailer?
What brand was the tire?
How many miles do you think you’ve run them or how did the tread look?
And finally what tire pressure do you usually run?
I know it was hot in Ohio yesterday and on hot paving tire troubles can occur.
Glad you are ok and know you’ll find a good fiberglass repair shop back home. Lots of folks look to fiberglass boat dealers in these situations.
Thanks
Iowa Dave
Old 08-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #79

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have had a tire blow out. Fortunately, without the damage of yours. It does seem the hot weather and long travel days takes a toll on those original tires. I had been watching the age and quality of my tires before this happened and it was a year away from replacement.

I post this to remind owners that the appearance of a tire is not a measurement of longevity and the age may not be a good predictor of when to replace. Creating a replacement schedule is difficult, even tire manufacturers have not been able to or are unwilling to give an expected lifetime. There are too many variables.

It seems in reading recommendations that five years is the maximum to expect from tires. As we can see from Ruthe the damage is serious, the danger is also present. Perhaps the best advice would be that if you are traveling a long distance in hot weather it is time to evaluate tires. Not to say you can ignore them for short trips.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Ruthe
Sorry to hear you had tire trouble in Ohio. For my own information I wonder if you could tell me about the tires on your Escape?
Are they originals with the trailer?
What brand was the tire?
How many miles do you think you’ve run them or how did the tread look?
And finally what tire pressure do you usually run?
I know it was hot in Ohio yesterday and on hot paving tire troubles can occur.
Glad you are ok and know you’ll find a good fiberglass repair shop back home. Lots of folks look to fiberglass boat dealers in these situations.
Thanks
Iowa Dave

This was the spare tire -- a Carlisle. The trailer is 6 years old so that's how long we've had it. It's been covered all that time. It was mounted in July and now has less than three thousand miles. The tread looked fine. Terry thinks that it was either 32 or 40 -- whatever was recommended. He checked the tire before we left Washington State.

It looks like our Progressive insurance policy will pay for repairs -- minus the $500 deductible. And there are a couple of places that deal with fiberglass -- one a boat place -- that have good reviews only about an hour from us in NJ.