We're on the road again - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #81

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I am so glad everyone was ok! It is always affirming to have strangers who stop and help. I have a few of those stories myself.

Recently I had occasion, unplanned, to travel all the way from Big Bear Lake in So. California home to the Sierras near Sacramento. The temp along most of the way was over 100 degrees, so a planned overnight stop was scrapped. Turned out to be a 500 mile day, which I had never done before, in very hot conditions. I did worry about the tires, but they were fine.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #82

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Tires

I HIGHLY recommend a tire pressure/temp monitor. The readout is right in front of me and gives me that warm fuzzy feeling, especially at 100+ degrees and AZ 75 speed limits.
AZ jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #83

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
It was warm yesterday -- but not really hot -- about 82 degrees. What troubles us is that it was a 6 year old tire, but it had been protected under a cover for all those years.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:20 PM   #84

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
All it takes is a small, sharp piece of debris left by a preceding vehicle.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:55 PM   #85

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Ruthe, it sounds like a frightening experience! But we’re relieved to hear that you’re ok, and were able to safely get out of that situation and handle it. Subsequent advice about tires is well-taken!
We will be especially vigilant as we travel through the Summer and on hot roads.
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #86

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
That's a small rodeo arena we spotted on the eastern fringe of the road into Medora (from Fargo). We were towing our Scamp on our way to Roscoe, MT. Saw the activity, made a quick left turn to check it out. It was a very local quarter horse auction in progress that featured demos of how the quarter horses performed. For me, a Jersey guy, it was wonderful, totally exotic stuff. Took pictures, and did this one painting from them.

The Badlands are all good.
Myron! Wow! I am so impressed with your painting! The color, the dynamics, and the subject all make for a great composition and final product.
Was that painted with acrylics or oil? I aspire to mastering acrylics a bit more. Watercolor is my medium of choice, but I haven’t “mastered“ it yet. It can be so unpredictable!

I always enjoy seeing other artist’s work. If you have the desire and time, it would be nice to see your other paintings. Especially ones reflecting your travel experiences. Thanks for posting that lovely painting!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #87

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Thanks, ArtLady. It was done with oils. I switched from acrylics many moons ago because I couldn't get a buttery, painterly look with them--Always fell back on scumbling. The words, "oil painting" also sounded more marketable to me. Much too afraid to do watercolors... at least with oils you scrape off the mistakes.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:50 AM   #88

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Tires age out. As a retired traffic crash investigator, I attended many crash conferences and at one several years ago an engineer from Bridgestone/Firestone attended and gave a lecture on tire failure bringing several examples with him. He showed us that a tire could look good but because of age had become brittle and failed. His recommendation, and he wasn't trying to sell us his tires, was that the life of ANY tire is 5 to 6 years and should be replaced whether there is still tread on them or not.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #89

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
tires

Our son has the 32 ford Dearborn roadster that I built 13 years ago. He decided to change all the tires that only had +- 5000 miles, I didn't drive it much and never on the freeway. I agreed it was probably over due.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #90

Thank you Steven. I guess it's time to change the rest of the tires.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:39 PM   #91

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Thank you Steven. I guess it's time to change the rest of the tires.
So glad to hear that you're safe and that your insurance will cover the damage! I just bought my Escape last October, but your experience is a reminder to install the tire pressure system purchased a few months back. If you're getting all new tires, this might be a good time to consider this.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #92

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
I HIGHLY recommend a tire pressure/temp monitor. The readout is right in front of me and gives me that warm fuzzy feeling, especially at 100+ degrees and AZ 75 speed limits.
AZ jack
Do you have a brand that has worked well for you? Are they difficult to install?

Thanks, Jimmy
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #93

Our six month odyssey is over. We got back to NJ two weeks ago. I'd hoped to make a final blog post by now, but we got home and there was immediately so much to do -- and the very first thing was to get our trailer fixed. Thankfully we paid our insurance premium on the road and the insurance company is supposed to cover everything but the deductible -- The adjustor is presenly trying to determine the value of Escape 19's and he doesn't have a clue -- he has us mixed up with that stick built Escape. I would like to send him some recent sale prices of 19s. If some of you who have bought a used 19 would be willing to tell me what you paid that would be very helpful. Probably a PM would be the best (and wouldn't break any forum rules that I don't know about). Or if there is some other way to get this information, I'm all ears.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #94

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Welcome home, Ruthe. You just made me go check the tires on my 2013. I had replaced all four, back in March 2016, with Carlisle's. This week, after 16,228 miles they all looked ok but, then I saw this one with the weird tread wear. Pulled it and immediately ordered a replacement, at Costco. Bad luck, and thanks for the heads up.
Attached Thumbnails
tirewear.jpg  
Old 09-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Welcome home, Ruthe. You just made me go check the tires on my 2013. I had replaced all four, back in March 2016, with Carlisle's. This week, after 16,228 miles they all looked ok but, then I saw this one with the weird tread wear. Pulled it and immediately ordered a replacement, at Costco. Bad luck, and thanks for the heads up.

I'm glad we helped you out! Our daughter just drove from Joshua Tree to Delaware and because of what happened to us she took in her van and it turned out that all the tires -- which weren't old -- needed to be changed. That desert heat is hard on the tires.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #96

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Ruthie,
We just had to replace our 2020 19’ Escape after a bad sway wreck. I went around for a while with Farmers about the replacement costs. Fortunately our local agent went to bat for us which helped a lot. I insisted that they not use their “independent assessors” because they don’t know fiberglass. I went to the forum classifieds and looked up all the recently sold 19’ for the last 3 year models. There are not many, which sort of proved my point. I copied the pertinent information and made SURE that they realize Escape’s are not sold through dealers. They finally called ETI and talked to the sales people. We ended up getting full replacement value minus a very small amount. PM me if you want me to send you copies of my documentation. I went into it armed with a lot of information because I knew that they would be clueless on fiberglass trailers and would confuse it with US made stickie Escapes. Good luck and keep persisting!
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:01 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwiththedogs View Post
Ruthie,
We just had to replace our 2020 19’ Escape after a bad sway wreck. I went around for a while with Farmers about the replacement costs. Fortunately our local agent went to bat for us which helped a lot. I insisted that they not use their “independent assessors” because they don’t know fiberglass. I went to the forum classifieds and looked up all the recently sold 19’ for the last 3 year models. There are not many, which sort of proved my point. I copied the pertinent information and made SURE that they realize Escape’s are not sold through dealers. They finally called ETI and talked to the sales people. We ended up getting full replacement value minus a very small amount. PM me if you want me to send you copies of my documentation. I went into it armed with a lot of information because I knew that they would be clueless on fiberglass trailers and would confuse it with US made stickie Escapes. Good luck and keep persisting!
Catherine

Thank you. My husband was handling it and in the back of my mind I was wondering if the adjuster knew anything about fiberglass Escape vs the other one. And he didn't. Now he does. Terry sent him some sales and price info from the Fiberglass forum and gave him ETI's website and the adjuster emailed today that he had never handled a trailer that kept its value like the Escapes --

Anyway I'll let you know what happens after the adjuster talks to his boss. It sounds like it will be okay but it's not over til it's over and if I need more documentation I'll certainly take you up on your offer. So sorry about your trailer! That must have been heartbreaking. It was brand new!!! All that planning and decision making and anticipation -- but I guess the worst would have been if you were hurt. I hope there were no injuries.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:21 PM   #98

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Thanks Ruth,
It was indeed sad but the really good thing was that we walked away uninjured and so did the dogs. Farmers insurance also learned a lot from this. We got very close to the purchase price in the settlement. It took some serious educating but our local agent was great. Hang in there!
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:51 AM   #99

ruthmatilskyworld.wordpress.com/

I just posted the final chapter to our six month trip. It always takes some adjusting when we get back to our huge house after being in the trailer for so long. At first it almost seems obscene that we have so much stuff -- but how quickly we get used to it! The trailer is still in the shop. We're waiting for the final okay from the insurance company
Attached Thumbnails
hauling-it-away.jpg