What to do in Quartzite? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 08:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Do your basic research beforehand and go.
I’m trying but the city of Quartzsite Visitor’s Guide page is blank.

Seriously though there seems to be some good information at the Quartzsite Tourism page: https://quartzsitetourism.com/
Attached Thumbnails
BA6C84BB-5923-4B2D-8562-5B2A2FC9DE62.jpg  
Old 01-04-2020, 10:08 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
this is the long version (66") of one of the hardest bike locks out there to pick OR break/cut.
https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Ev.../dp/B007EW31R6

mid length (35"),
https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Ev.../dp/B006QN0MI0

the 'disc detainer' lock used on all these is very hard to pick, requires serious picking skills and a custom made picking tool. the lock core and body are steel. the chain is 10mm hexagonal maganese steel, very hard to grind, nearly impossible to cut.

downside, they are kinda heavy.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #23

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
I do have a section of Pewag chain and a couple of pretty beefy Abus locks and a motion sensor alarm lock. I feel they would be an overkill to carry on my ebike trips plus the chain is very heavy so I will look for a slightly lighter but still strong bike lock chain that hopefully can't be cut with an average chain cutter. This is my first time thinking about going to Quartzsite and haven't heard much mention about bike/ebike theft at the "Q" from this forum or other sources so don't know how much/little risk is there. But I guess it's wise to err on the safe side.
You have to decide what makes you comfortable. We also purchased Abus locks. First thing we do is cover our bikes when not in the truck. If they can't see a high end bike they don't want to steal it. When we're riding in urban areas we lock our bikes.

No sooner than Terry's daughter moved to the Minneapolis area she had her $900 bike stolen. It wasn't locked, but was in their garage. Friends of our bought themselves and their son Brompton bikes to travel. Their son had his Brompton stolen in broad daylight. He was only in the store for a couple of minutes, but the Brompton was folded and locked. The cable lock didn't help. I could go on with other bike thefts. High end bikes get stolen for parts, but cheap bikes are stole for jollies.

No campground is immune from thefts. In a campground common sense is your best friend. Our bikes are the only items we take the time to protect, usually "out of sight, out of mind." Our expensive folding ebike will reside behind the seat in our truck, covered. We also have a trike cover for my etrike, so it will be covered and locked to the rear bumper of our 5.0.

At home our many bikes are in the condo's garage area, unlocked, available to anyone with access to the area. Our's aren't the only expensive bikes there. A thief would have many to choose from. We also have a year-round campsite eight-tenths of a mile away and have a 8 x 12 storage trailer to get any bike out of sight.

Biking and hiking are our #1 activities, but camping gets us there and keeps us warm.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #24

I'm sorry if some were offended by my earlier post. I started camping when I left home at 18 and over the years have thousands of nights camping. I've camped in every imaginable type of campground. Most of the people we meet wouldn't find BLM style camping acceptable.

I should have qualified my post to pertain to the BLM camping at Quartzsite. I was not talking about established, commercial campgrounds. My bad!

I listed the events I've experienced and had others tell me happened to them BLM type areas. I'm sure 90% of the experiences are positive. Over the years we've experienced every one of the situations in my post. Generators seem to have gotten worse over the years.

I know one couple who attend Quartzsite every other year. I also know couples who won't go back. One in particular only camps in electric sites and didn't/wouldn't fit in. Another had a couple move in next door, played canned music into the night, and ran their cheap generator. It happens. If people have never been to a BLM type site they at least should know what can take place.

Everyone has different styles of camping. Many times I've explained the different offerings to help other campers. I will continue to do so in the future.

Many can't handle the freedom of BLM camping. We camp at BLM sites less today than in the past. Most often you do get what you pay for. There is some good and some bad in every type of campsite, and there's a freedom you get at BLM type sites that is not available at more refined campsites.

We're still looking for a reason for us to go to Quartzsite. Some day we WILL camp at Quartzsite though and perhaps it will work for us.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Perry,
Like you, I am underwhelmed about activities and things to do at Quartzite. I can see some activities that would be entertaining for a few days, the desert has a great appeal, but for me personally, it will get old fast. At the same time there are those peeps who like to hob knob, trade stories and listen to music, it seems we are a diverse crowd.

In the same vein, I enjoy reading about Quartzite and what folks do. It certainly has helped in my decision making process as I am sure it has helped others.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Perry,
Like you, I am underwhelmed about activities and things to do at Quartzite. I can see some activities that would be entertaining for a few days, the desert has a great appeal, but for me personally, it will get old fast. At the same time there are those peeps who like to hob knob, trade stories and listen to music, it seems we are a diverse crowd.

In the same vein, I enjoy reading about Quartzite and what folks do. It certainly has helped in my decision making process as I am sure it has helped others.

We are "a diverse crowd," and I enjoy these threads too.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I’m not sure if we’re just discussing Quartzsite as a destination, or coming to the Quartzsite gathering in Feb.
My wife and I, given a choice of all the BLM areas available in the SW probably would not choose Quartzsite as a destination. At the same time we would totally be onboard with what Jon and others do and use the ridiculously inexpensive LTVA’s as a base to operate out of for the winter.
The Quartzsite gathering on the other hand is quite a different beast and is quite enjoyable. Having grown to be the largest molded fiberglass travel trailer gathering in the US with over 218 trailers last year, most of them being repeats, it is obvious that folks would respond overwhelmingly positive about the Q experience. Now if one is not overly fond of meeting and enjoying a large diverse group of molded fiberglass trailer owners, then it would not be something that would appeal.
Having attended all of the Quartzsite Gatherings over the years, it is definitely not an experience to be missed for us. Just to clarify, going to Quartzsite for a week of vacation wouldn’t probably be my choice, but destination vs attending the Gathering are two totally different things.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I’m not sure if we’re just discussing Quartzsite as a destination, or coming to the Quartzsite gathering in Feb.
My wife and I, given a choice of all the BLM areas available in the SW probably would not choose Quartzsite as a destination. At the same time we would totally be onboard with what Jon and others do and use the ridiculously inexpensive LTVA’s as a base to operate out of for the winter.
The Quartzsite gathering on the other hand is quite a different beast and is quite enjoyable. Having grown to be the largest molded fiberglass travel trailer gathering in the US with over 218 trailers last year, most of them being repeats, it is obvious that folks would respond overwhelmingly positive about the Q experience. Now if one is not overly fond of meeting and enjoying a large diverse group of molded fiberglass trailer owners, then it would not be something that would appeal.
Having attended all of the Quartzsite Gatherings over the years, it is definitely not an experience to be missed for us. Just to clarify, going to Quartzsite for a week of vacation wouldn’t probably be my choice, but destination vs attending the Gathering are two totally different things.
Bold is mine. Yes, yes, yes!
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:58 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My goodness -- 218 eggs in one place? What to do? just realized the thing is creeping up on us: must begin to plan my travel options, fill the tanks, kick the tires, buy the hot dogs, read up on post-rally travel possibilities. Less than a month to go to the big dog race to the Q!
Attached Thumbnails
Q-dogs.jpg  
Old 01-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
180 trailers at the Escape rally in Osooyoos.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Thanks Greg, that was a little fuzzy area of the comments being made.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:51 AM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Wow, thanks for all the comments on the Q. I do enjoy the desert and plan to attend the rally at some point but it will likely be part of a long journey west to California or Vegas.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
One more thing to do - set up a hummingbird feeder & take photos:
Old 01-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

Love the shots!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Beauty. Not easy to capture an image like that.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Awesome pic, Jon
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:27 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Absolutely stunning Jon ! Pat and Linda
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Gregg you sold us and are so glad we finally attended last year ! Coming back again this year . Thankyou for a great experience and see you and others soon ! Pat and Linda
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #39

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Fantastic shot with nice catchlight!
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:37 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Beautiful picture, Jon! And I have a question for you in particular. I think I have read that at least during the rally, trucks come around with water. What about dumping gray and black tanks? Are there handy dump sites? It would be quite the deal if someone had a tanker that could pump out your tanks so you would not need to move to dump and thus potentially lose a good site.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote