What to do in Quartzite? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
Beautiful picture, Jon! And I have a question for you in particular. I think I have read that at least during the rally, trucks come around with water. What about dumping gray and black tanks? Are there handy dump sites? It would be quite the deal if someone had a tanker that could pump out your tanks so you would not need to move to dump and thus potentially lose a good site.
You can "order" a water or dump truck at the LTVAs, so I suspect they would come out to Dome Rock. I've never done it, but have been told it is $45.00 to dump on site at the LTVA, No idea on a fresh tank fill. These guys are listed for Quartzsite.

The rules are no dumping of black or gray water on the ground at the BLM sites, although some of the rangers don't frown on dumping gray at the 14 day sites. Since I stay all winter at the LTVA, I have a permit to use the dump station & fresh water fill stations at La Posa South, and have always used them.

There are a couple of RV parks in Quartzsite that charge $10.00 to dump, as well as the Pit Stop on 95 a bit north of main street. They have a dump, fresh water (both salt free & plain water) as well as propane and trash dumpsters.

You will rarely "lose" a site - just leave a chair or something and others get the idea that you are coming back.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:53 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Thanks, Jon!
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #43

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Poutine alternative

When I lived and worked in the Garden State my favorite breakfast stop was for a "Taylor ham and egg on a hard roll." Available at any corner greasy spoon, of which in the metropolitan neighborhoods where we worked, there are many. That was back in the day. Recently had a nostalgic craving for that delightful, tasty, blue collar delicacy but, learned subsequently that nobody around here sells "John Taylor's Pork Roll," or --even heard of it.

After a little detective work it turns out this product is in fact made exclusively and, only sold, in the aforementioned Garden State. How can that be? It's not like tulips are only available in Holland, or green chili is only sold in Albuquerque.

Sure, you can get it off Amazon but seriously, am I nuts enough to spend $90 bucks for something you can get in a supermarket for $7-8 beans?? Forgettabout it.

Therefore, I extend an appeal to any one of you Jersey guys out there who is planning to attend the Quartzsite rally in AZ with us this February... Would you mind, before leaving home, going into a ShopRite and buying me a Taylor ham roll and bringing it with you to the rally?
Attached Thumbnails
Taylor-Ham.jpg  
Old 01-11-2020, 09:58 AM   #44

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
As Zonies we just do not see the appeal of Q. It is COLD, sure it is warmer than Canada and upstate N.Y. but 20°F at night is not our defination of warm. It is crowded, we have our Escape to avoid crowds. KOFA is a worthwhile place to visit, camp, hike. But 218 eggs in one spot, that's why we travel to Osoyoos to be with 180 identical eggs. Perhaps we are spoiled, 17 winters in the Caribbean with our sailboat did that. Sitting here near Puerta Vallerta where the coldest low so far this winter was 59°F caused us to turn on the furnace for 30 minutes. Daily ocean swimming, mountain bike riding, fresh water swimming, walks to town markets, etc makes lots to do. Then we can drive to nearby towns in the mountains and sightsee. We love Mexico!
Old 01-11-2020, 10:11 AM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
As Zonies we just do not see the appeal of Q. It is COLD, sure it is warmer than Canada and upstate N.Y. but 20°F at night is not our defination of warm. It is crowded, we have our Escape to avoid crowds. KOFA is a worthwhile place to visit, camp, hike. But 218 eggs in one spot, that's why we travel to Osoyoos to be with 180 identical eggs. Perhaps we are spoiled, 17 winters in the Caribbean with our sailboat did that. Sitting here near Puerta Vallerta where the coldest low so far this winter was 59°F caused us to turn on the furnace for 30 minutes. Daily ocean swimming, mountain bike riding, fresh water swimming, walks to town markets, etc makes lots to do. Then we can drive to nearby towns in the mountains and sightsee. We love Mexico!
After spending several winters in the southern US , Mexico is looking better and better with every passing winter
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Pork Roll

I had never specifically heard of or studied up on the Taylor Ham / Pork Roll delicacy. Pretty interesting. Of course I’d say that about pork anything, especially when you can fry it up, with an egg and cheese and put it on some kind of bread. Thanks for alerting me to this delicacy of the east. If I ever get back out there I’m going to get some and order a sandwich in a restaurant. I made up a nice pan of pork temples the first of December for our semi-annual meeting of the Loyal Order of the Crow and Carp. A 750 of Wild Turkey 101, a dramatic reading by yours truly and some other delicacies and boom you’re there.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-11-2020, 11:10 AM   #47

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Ah, those delicacies remembered from the past. I miss my grandma's kolache. And my sister, knowing my penchant for potica, ordered two from the ladies at a Serbian Orthodox Church somewhere in PA, and had them shipped to me. It was an additional shock to discover the shipping was $23. My sister said when she called that she wanted them here for when I returned from visiting my son, and she'd rush the check to them, the lady said, oh just send it regular mail. We will mail your items, no problem when the check gets here. I am enjoying it an inch slice at a time.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #48

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
When I lived and worked in the Garden State my favorite breakfast stop was for a "Taylor ham and egg on a hard roll." Available at any corner greasy spoon, of which in the metropolitan neighborhoods where we worked, there are many. That was back in the day. Recently had a nostalgic craving for that delightful, tasty, blue collar delicacy but, learned subsequently that nobody around here sells "John Taylor's Pork Roll," or --even heard of it.

After a little detective work it turns out this product is in fact made exclusively and, only sold, in the aforementioned Garden State. How can that be? It's not like tulips are only available in Holland, or green chili is only sold in Albuquerque.

Sure, you can get it off Amazon but seriously, am I nuts enough to spend $90 bucks for something you can get in a supermarket for $7-8 beans?? Forgettabout it.

Therefore, I extend an appeal to any one of you Jersey guys out there who is planning to attend the Quartzsite rally in AZ with us this February... Would you mind, before leaving home, going into a ShopRite and buying me a Taylor ham roll and bringing it with you to the rally?
Myron: Not coming out to Quartzsite but PM me your address and I’ll see if I can get some mailed out to you economically. I can’t imagine shipping would be ridiculous. The online sites are gouging everyone.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #49

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

Can you start a thread in Trips and Travel about your Mexico adventure. Where did you stay, where did you avoid, and post some pics, wow that would be great.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:51 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
As Zonies we just do not see the appeal of Q. It is COLD, sure it is warmer than Canada and upstate N.Y. but 20°F at night is not our defination of warm. It is crowded, we have our Escape to avoid crowds. KOFA is a worthwhile place to visit, camp, hike. But 218 eggs in one spot, that's why we travel to Osoyoos to be with 180 identical eggs. Perhaps we are spoiled, 17 winters in the Caribbean with our sailboat did that. We love Mexico!
Well we love Mexico too. And we kept our boat in the Med. for many years and sailed the Carribbean and South Pacific but I don't relate those halcyon days to my trailering activities.

Maybe the weather is warmer in Feb. but we've never experienced overnight freezing weather at Q'site. We too, given a choice, will choose to park away from crowds etc. But attending the meet at Q'site isn't related to those activities. Among many other things it's a chance to see a wide array of glass trailers as well as meet up with fellow forum members for 2,3 or 4 days once a year.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #51

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Myron: Not coming out to Quartzsite but PM me your address and I’ll see if I can get some mailed out to you economically. I can’t imagine shipping would be ridiculous. The online sites are gouging everyone.
Dave, no need to bother with mailing it.

Myron, I am planning to go to the Quartzsite rally this year. Just stopped by my local Shoprite and saw they have three sizes, 1, 1.5, and 3 lbs. If the 3 pounder in your post picture is what you want I'll get one in about two weeks before I get on the trip. Barring extraordinary circumstances you will get it at the rally.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:35 PM   #52

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
Dave, no need to bother with mailing it.

Myron, I am planning to go to the Quartzsite rally this year. Just stopped by my local Shoprite and saw they have three sizes, 1, 1.5, and 3 lbs. If the 3 pounder in your post picture is what you want I'll get one in about two weeks before I get on the trip. Barring extraordinary circumstances you will get it at the rally.
Jake: Thanks. Another idea is I still mail one so Myron can whet his appetite and keep some for himself. Then you still take a 3# to the rally. Once the smell starts wafting off Myron’s grill and guys come poking around it will be gone in short order. Especially if he has some cheese, ketchup and a good hard roll. Whatever Myron wants to do. Either way he’ll have pork roll soon!
Old 01-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #53

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Yikes I just saw your post Viator, right after I emailed a personal reply to Dave confirming his offer to mail me a 3 pounder. Since once they taste it (Thinking of Iowa Dave now... ) demand at the rally will surely skyrocket, so having two 3-pounders to go around should be ideal. No problems. Do it, guys.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:24 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Once the smell starts wafting off Myron’s grill and guys come poking around it will be gone in short order. Especially if he has some cheese, ketchup and a good hard roll.
You're a mind reader. I was going to reply that I'd be wandering over to Myron's trailer with a plate of hash browns, some easy over eggs and a bottle of ketchup. Thought that I might catch a little grief with the ketchup comment, I'm no purist, I put ketchup almost everything that comes off the grill.

Ron
Old 01-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #55

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I put ketchup almost everything that comes off the grill.

Ron

Everything?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 11.31.21 AM.png  
Old 01-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #56

If they're on the same plate as my fried eggs and hash browns then there'e going to be ketchup close by. I enjoy fried tomatoes once in awhile.

Ron
Old 01-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #57

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
If they're on the same plate as my fried eggs and hash browns then there'e going to be ketchup close by. I enjoy fried tomatoes once in awhile.

Ron
Tomatoes , ketchup , spaghetti sauce , all good to eat for you Ron and Glenn . That is what they say anyway ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:59 AM   #58

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Taylor pork roll was was our tasty alternative to fried bologna sandwiches growing up. I just took it for granted it was nationwide and not regional. Fry a piece in butter, slap it between toast and cheese (optional) and you got McDonalds beat, with or without an egg. It is also known as the Polish Canadian Bacon....personally I think Spam has more flavor. Wait what about a Spam/Pork Roll/Scrapple cook off......
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2020, 08:10 AM   #59

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jon's statement You will rarely "lose" a site - just leave a chair or something and others get the idea that you are coming back. made me think back when living in the city and shoveling out your car and then going to work....
Attached Thumbnails
th.jpeg  
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2020, 09:53 AM   #60

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If you did that today, probably when you got home all your chairs would be stolen and cars would be parked in the spot.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote