Winter camping in Oregon, good or bad? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2022, 07:49 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
I have camped in Oregon in March while returning from winter trips from farther south.

I need a bit of sun to make it an enjoyable stay, especially after a snowbird vacation. I think my favourite park is Carl Washburne, between Yachats and Florence. Most sites are in the trees, across the highway from the beach.

If it is wet and cold, I would rather be at home. But a sunny winter beach hike is hard to beat.

If it's just a days drive for you, and sites are not fully booked, then just wait for the weather and go.
Very good point about the sun. At least a bit of sun for some of the time, would make a difference. I think precipitation is a big deal too. Cold and wind, I personally can handle to a point.

I looked at next week's weather and we'll be as low as the low 20’s °F which does not fit the vision of jolly winter camping Yeah, I’m thinking we will leave the Escape all winterized and prepped for the cold and stay home. No need to drag ourselves out just to prove ourselves dedicated campers.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:14 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We met a couple from Oregon in a Scamp 13 in Pinnacles NM about 6-7 years ago. They got stuck in snow in Coastal Oregon for a week. Didn't sound like any fun.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:13 AM   #23

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
I've camped at the Oregon Coast in every month of the year and loved it every time. Winter trips are often wet & windy, but not always - there is historically at least a couple of weeks of bluebird weather every winter on the coast. I recall eating a Valentine's Day lunch on the outside deck of a restraurant in Nehalem wearing only a T-shirt and an open front light flannel shirt. There was no wind and plenty of sun that day. However, I have also done plenty of beach walks in the rain with my hood pulled tight against the wind. I prefer being in the trailer rather than home because it breaks the routine, and a cup of hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps, a book, and rain pattering on the roof of the trailer is soothing to my soul.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
I prefer being in the trailer rather than home because it breaks the routine, and a cup of hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps, a book, and rain pattering on the roof of the trailer is soothing to my soul.
sounds peaceful.....
Old 11-28-2022, 11:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
sounds peaceful.....
Yes, sherminator's description is what it’s all about! I will keep watching the weather for the coast, after Christmas.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:26 PM   #26

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
... I recall eating a Valentine's Day lunch on the outside deck of a restraurant in Nehalem wearing only a T-shirt and an open front light flannel shirt...
Surprised they did not require pants, or at least shoes...

Old 11-28-2022, 06:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Surprised they did not require pants, or at least shoes...

Laughing out loud for real
Old 11-28-2022, 07:31 PM   #28

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
Nehalem is a pretty easy-going town ;-}

right now it's warmer on the coast than in the valley. I think in general, the weather on the Oregon coast is milder than inland, during the winter months.

This I write as I sit at home by the fire....
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:42 PM   #29

I'm picturing the nice wood-fired pizza place in Wheeler just South of Nehalem Bay. We've enjoyed dinner there out on the deck over the river, although we were fully clad.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:27 AM   #30

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
For the record, I was also wearing skivvies, jeans, a belt, two socks and two shoes, and probably a baseball cap But I sometimes have dreams where I'm out in public buck naked and nobody in the dream seems to notice
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:10 AM   #31

Quote:
For the record, I was also wearing skivvies, jeans, a belt, two socks and two shoes, and probably a baseball cap But I sometimes have dreams where I'm out in public buck naked and nobody in the dream seems to notice
I do like the idea of winter sun at the beach, and can enjoy the storms in the cozy camper too. Going to watch the forecasts in Jan/Feb. Fortunately we have the freedom to pick up and go any time.
Old 11-29-2022, 11:34 AM   #32

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
Feb 6 2022 Coos Bay: high of 70F, low 38

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/co...5297?year=2022
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 01:24 PM   #33

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
If you are nimble and keep an eye on weather predictions there is usually a break in rainy winter weather in Oregon. Often a week or so of early Spring shows up in late January or February. Also, watch for east winds which might mean chilly but clear weather (bright blue days). Traditionally, the warmest spot in Oregon during the winter is Brookings. Stub Stewart is just south of some of the wettest weather in Oregon, so not the best winter choice. The mildest weather is along the Willamette Valley and the coast. With a trailer, it is possible to get trapped anywhere east of the Cascades. Right now (11/30/2022) both the Santiam and Government Camp passes are treacherous.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 02:05 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
N to S on US-101 is beautiful, and, you'll become a fan of:
-a variety of seacoast vistas
-elegantly constructed bridges (read up on their history as well).
-lighthouses
-sea critters
-small towns with stores and stories of their own.

And then, cross the CA border and visit 5 Redwood SP's and NP's.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:12 PM   #35

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Frankly - unless you can do what others suggest and look for a window of decent weather - HWY 101 its winding and slow - and a bit dangerous due to the lunatics passing on blind corners. Much of the trip on the road you can't see the ocean and need to take time to pull off to walk. I love it over there - but am reaching the point that a trailer full of cold wet clothes gets old. (We live in Oregon - but the mountain passes restrict how much trailer use we get in the winters.)
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:43 PM   #36

Tam2004, I agree with all you said. And the thought of the soggy, wet gear dripping in the Escape bathroom, never really drying out, ugh…

Our camping style is usually 3 night trips, that’s how long we are OK leaving the 3 cats at home with a helper checking on them. I don’t even ~love~ the Oregon coast because I prefer the sheltered bays of Massachusetts (home) to our wild, open coastline. Don’t like 101 very much.

In January I will be looking out for breaks in the weather and camping spots within 2 hrs drive. I’ve decided from this discussion that precipitation is the most important thing to avoid to make it a worthwhile trip in winter. For us part of of the pleasure is just using the camper and as long as we can walk and bike a bit I think we’ll be happy. A nice campfire and the dark night skies!