Winter camping in Oregon, good or bad? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2022, 10:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Winter camping in Oregon, good or bad?

Hey everyone, we have "traditionally" done all our camping in Oregon from March to October/November. Can anyone please share places you've enjoyed (or not enjoyed) camping in Oregon through the winter? I'm aware that Champoeg, Stub, Silver Falls, Tumalo and most of the coast state parks are open among others. But is it bleak and lonely or can it be nice too? We live near Stub so will probably try that but I see that very few sites are reserved in Dec., and an empty park sounds rather depressing.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Yes.

All seriousness aside, it is totally up to you as whether you like being out and away enough to enjoy wind, rain and the fact that there might not be anyone around.

We like solitude occasionally. I like rain and my wife tolerates it. Wind can be a drag if it is incessant.

We enjoy northern California and Oregon winter camping.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Yes.

All seriousness aside, it is totally up to you as whether you like being out and away enough to enjoy wind, rain and the fact that there might not be anyone around.

We like solitude occasionally. I like rain and my wife tolerates it. Wind can be a drag if it is incessant.

We enjoy northern California and Oregon winter camping.
Haha - that's the issue, I can see how it can be both good and bad. I think we'll try some time at Stub Stewart in this period between Thanksgiving and Christmas and see what we think. We'll be close to home if it turns out miserable. The other advantage of staying so close is that we can watch the weather forecast and wait to go while it's drier or milder. I guess we'll see what a near-deserted campground feels like.

I'm still interested in any other thoughts about Oregon winter Escaping.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
IMHO doesn't matter what the season, if the weather is truly crappy... I'd rather be home. It's even worse when it's cold and rainy. However, camping...like at South Beach where there's the entire town of Newport to visit shops, museums, restaurants, etc. it's not so bad... short term. I'm just not so much on going camping just to stay in the trailer. YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
Our dog is giving me a big paws up on this one. Being Retired, we can check the weather, and go on short notice, which isn’t the case with everyone. The coast is often in the 50’s on a few winter days, and there isn’t a fight to get into parks like during the summer. If the weather is great, camping is great. Sometimes February is warmer and calmer on the coast than August - Oregon weather fairies like their tricks.
KarenPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
As a native Oregonian I often enjoyed the coast in the winter. Nothing much better than a big storm, rain beating on the roof, warm and dry inside. Great surf watching, too. I recommend Sunset Bay (and Shore Acres) and Cape Blanco SP. (We even found lobster mushrooms!)
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
I have camped in Oregon in March while returning from winter trips from farther south.

I need a bit of sun to make it an enjoyable stay, especially after a snowbird vacation. I think my favourite park is Carl Washburne, between Yachats and Florence. Most sites are in the trees, across the highway from the beach.

If it is wet and cold, I would rather be at home. But a sunny winter beach hike is hard to beat.

If it's just a days drive for you, and sites are not fully booked, then just wait for the weather and go.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
A timely discussion, I’m headed to the Portland area in mid December for two reasons: to pickup our new Bigfoot and to be there for the birth of a grandchild. I’ll be staying in the Bigfoot. At this point I’m looking at a campground in Silverton that’s about 45 minutes from my daughters apartment. I’ll be there about a month. Any suggestions? I think the coastal parks are a bit too far away as I’ll be helping her get her place together. She lives on the southwest side.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
Hi Oldwave, other options that might not be as cold, are Reeder Beach RV Resort on Sauvie Island, great if you have a dog since it includes a long Beach on the Columbia River. State Parks - Stub Stewart and Champoeg State Park. Champoeg and Reeder Beach might be a tad bit warmer than Silverton or Stub Stewart since they are in the valley. Enjoy your stay in Portland. Definitely be prepared for rain, and breaks of better weather - Portland winter weather is subject to change.

Congratulations on the new trailer and especially the new Grandchild!!!

EDIT: Call Reeder to see if they have drinkable water, they may not according to YELP reviews. I have not stayed there, but it is a doggy outing destination at the public access down the road.
KarenPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:01 PM   #10
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
A timely discussion, I’m headed to the Portland area in mid December for two reasons: to pickup our new Bigfoot and to be there for the birth of a grandchild. I’ll be staying in the Bigfoot. At this point I’m looking at a campground in Silverton that’s about 45 minutes from my daughters apartment. I’ll be there about a month. Any suggestions? I think the coastal parks are a bit too far away as I’ll be helping her get her place together. She lives on the southwest side.
Try Champoeg State Park. Close to I5 and in a better place (potentially) for commuting to Portland. There is also a couple of parks on the Columbia River (check reviews first), I think one is Columbia River Park, not sure what the other is. Also there is an RV park that likely rents by the month just off of I5 called Sun Outdoors.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:04 PM   #11

Thanks, I have found most of the inland state parks are closed for the season but the coastal ones are open.
Rain and cold in northern Ohios typical fall weather so I’m used to it !

I’ll check out Reeder
Old 11-27-2022, 12:09 PM   #12
Site Team

The issue with the Oregon State Parks is you are restricted to 14 days total. You say you need a month. Silverton isn't close to Portland and it's at a much higher elevation, liable to be cold, maybe snowy. There's a park in Tualatin you may want to check out. Tualatin is just south of Portland: https://roamersrestrvpark.com/
Old 11-27-2022, 03:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The issue with the Oregon State Parks is you are restricted to 14 days total. You say you need a month. Silverton isn't close to Portland and it's at a much higher elevation, liable to be cold, maybe snowy. There's a park in Tualatin you may want to check out. Tualatin is just south of Portland: https://roamersrestrvpark.com/
Thanks Donna, a bit expensive but certainly closer. Silverton is probably 45 minutes south. I may start at Tualatin after the delivery. Again thanks.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Thanks Donna, a bit expensive but certainly closer. Silverton is probably 45 minutes south. I may start at Tualatin after the delivery. Again thanks.
Had to laugh at your 45 minute statement. Maybe at midnight, maybe. And of course it depends upon WHERE in Portland you're measuring the starting point. Good luck wherever you land
Old 11-27-2022, 03:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Had to laugh at your 45 minute statement. Maybe at midnight, maybe. And of course it depends upon WHERE in Portland you're measuring the starting point. Good luck wherever you land
Ah urban fun. She is on the southwest side , however I'm pretty sure Ill stay where you pointed me. I called them.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:02 PM   #16
Wig

Trailer: 2022 21C
Oregon winter camping

I wii be picking up my 21c on January 19th. My first thought was to head south asap. Donna maybe you could help me with this. I hate to blow through the state especially if there are areas worth visiting but again it’s going to be late January. I know route 101 hugs the coast but some people say to avoid it. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:45 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig View Post
I wii be picking up my 21c on January 19th. My first thought was to head south asap. Donna maybe you could help me with this. I hate to blow through the state especially if there are areas worth visiting but again it’s going to be late January. I know route 101 hugs the coast but some people say to avoid it. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
You can drive the entire state of Oregon in one day on Hwy 101. There are parts that are absolutely gorgeous and other parts that are inland and you just drive through one small town after another and don't see the ocean. That being said, I see you are from Connecticut and may never pass this way again. I'd say Hwy 101 is worth it in that context.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:54 PM   #18
Wig

Thanks Donna,
Yes that’s my concern, I know the Pacific coast is really beautiful and I would like to explore at least some of it and I have approximately 2 weeks before my first reservations. Any recommendations
Old 11-27-2022, 06:05 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig View Post
Thanks Donna,
Yes that’s my concern, I know the Pacific coast is really beautiful and I would like to explore at least some of it and I have approximately 2 weeks before my first reservations. Any recommendations
North to South... Fort Stevens State Park, Nehalem Bay State Park, Beverly Beach State Park, South Beach State Park, Honeyman State Park, Bullards Beach State Park. Seriously, I don't there are any bad state parks in Oregon!
Old 11-27-2022, 06:21 PM   #20
Wig

Thanks Donna,
I appreciate your help. Plenty of choices