Yellowstone? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2021, 08:29 AM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Good grief! It is getting harder and harder to keep up with these changes. I hope this is temporary, but then again I hope this heavy surge in camping is temporary.

I try to look on the bright side of this and think it is good more people are getting out, but once the reasoning of isolation thru camping wears thin with people, I think they will fall back into familiar patterns and lose interest.

I am certain of nothing right now.

First come/first serve sites are rarer than Bigfoot sightings, nowadays. Soon, I think they will cease to exist completely. Reservations are here to stay. Even if the crowds drop off, there's no incentive to go back for the states and Fed governments. A number of federal campgrounds with empty sites now require you to go online to reserve and pay at the gate, before occupying. No "iron ranger". We've seen one Corp of Engineers park with QR codes on each site for quick check in. Times, they are achangin'.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I agree cause bigfoot sightings are common these days.

For your reading enjoyment.

Recent Additions to the BFRO Sightings Database
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:38 PM   #23

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Best to start getting reservations NOW.... we did Yellowstone in Summer 2019 - stayed in Jackson hole area just outside town - "Grevant" ( not how it is spelled - just how it sounds) campground - $40 per night - nice restrooms - some sites with power and water. You can get a day pass for the city gym in Jackson hOLE - $5 per day - use gym - swin in pool - take showers etc.. all day.

Also stayed at campground between Tetons and Yellowstone - can not think of name - $80 per night - nice pace to stay - clean bathhouses - close to either park.

Best place we stayed - Buffalo Bill State Park near Cody - some sites with power and water ( hurry and book) but really nice campground with great bath houses ... Just outside Cody ( maybe an hour outside Yellowstone on that side. We went to Cody rodeo - and the Buffalo Bill Museum was fantastic - really a two day event to see it all. If there is one thing I would HIGHLY recomend - download "Gypsy Guides" and then purchase the Yellowstone Teton package - about $8.00 - best money we spent without a doubt - runs off GPS and plays through your vehicle car system - amazing information as you drive through the parks. They have the history etc.. along with it tells you about things as you approach them. And when you turn around and travel back - it tells you more information and other things. And we did a 1/2 day trail ride outside Cody - another great adventure.
Jrossjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:15 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
in May its rare any California passes are open except I 80 and US 50. but this year has so far been really dry, we've only had like 5.3" rain at my place since the rain season started in October 1 here on the central coast.

I fully expect in May, California will still be under social distancing and stay-at-home restrictions due to the pandemic, that are not likely to let up until Fall unless something really changes, like 75+ % of the population is vaccinated, and the incidents of Covid infections drop to a low background level.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
in May its rare any California passes are open except I 80 and US 50. but this year has so far been really dry, we've only had like 5.3" rain at my place since the rain season started in October 1 here on the central coast.

Same thing here! My daughter, who seems to live in the high peaks of Winter Park ski area is reporting to me that the snow is fairly bad right now. It may go down as a bad year for snow. The heavy snow months are a few weeks away but things are looking a little slim right now. Warmer than usual too.

I think John's guess is close to the mark on Covid. May is shaping up to be another month of 'caution' and 'stay at home'. I hope that I am wrong, but right now the smart money is on the slow and steady approach (IMHO).
Old 01-18-2021, 04:55 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
traditionally, an inch or so of rain here on the coast was a foot or so of snow in the Sierra. give or take.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
traditionally, an inch or so of rain here on the coast was a foot or so of snow in the Sierra. give or take.

John,
it's pretty amazing, the difference in weather just 300 miles down the coast. Here, an inch of rain Might mean some snow accumulation in our mountains (50 air miles away, and 8000 ft. higher), but it all goes away with the east winds, off the desert, that follow!
And that's tradition, here. The (apparent) new reality is, forget the rain, just more east winds. Our forecast for tomorrow changes from today's 30 mph wind, 78° and 26% R.H. at the moment, to yet more humidity drop, and 50-70 mph winds.

Back to main topic: We've always enjoyed (at least on vacation) the variable weather expectation in Idaho, Wyoming and western Montana. Last time in Yellowstone, while waiting 50 minutes for Old Faithful, we went from sunny and 68° to pouring rain, cold and wind. Went back to our campsite at KOA, W.Yel., and found the campground crews making a large pile of scrap aluminum, from all the camper awning frames that became sails.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:10 PM   #28

Well as long as we're telling camping stories here.

One year at Lincoln Creek Campground, outside of Aspen CO, the day started off in the mid-seventies. It was mid July.

A storm moved in and deposited 6 inches of hail in 30 minutes. For the next 24 hours it was Winter.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Awnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
John,
it's pretty amazing, the difference in weather just 300 miles down the coast. Here, an inch of rain Might mean some snow accumulation in our mountains (50 air miles away, and 8000 ft. higher), but it all goes away with the east winds, off the desert, that follow!
And that's tradition, here. The (apparent) new reality is, forget the rain, just more east winds. Our forecast for tomorrow changes from today's 30 mph wind, 78° and 26% R.H. at the moment, to yet more humidity drop, and 50-70 mph winds.

Back to main topic: We've always enjoyed (at least on vacation) the variable weather expectation in Idaho, Wyoming and western Montana. Last time in Yellowstone, while waiting 50 minutes for Old Faithful, we went from sunny and 68° to pouring rain, cold and wind. Went back to our campsite at KOA, W.Yel., and found the campground crews making a large pile of scrap aluminum, from all the camper awning frames that became sails.
Hi Don
We’ve experienced weather like the one you described several times in the west over the years. A fair percentage of Escape owners have remarked that they find taking in and deploying the awning is a hassle.
Whenever we leave the Escape, sometimes even staying in the campground, we take the awning in. We are pretty fast at it, probably from repeated practice. So that’s what we do. Usually at night too.
I always feel bad to see perfectly good equipment ruined by freaky weather especially when it could have been prevented.
Showed my two year old grandson my video of Big Boy on the U P trackage south of us. We watched it over and over. He got an electric train for Christmas. Gotta start them early.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-18-2021, 03:26 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I’d also recommend Capital Reef NP
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:31 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
We too always put the awning in at night or if leaving. I prefer the manual, and once used a few times I find it’s quick to use. Some folks really like the convenience of electric.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #32

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Plan for winter...

I have lived in the Northern Rockies for two and half decades (the last 12+ years in Southwestern Montana). May is a tough month weather wise in WY and MT. Be prepared for fast changing and potentially winter like weather conditions (especially at any location above 4,000 feet). While not helpful for your circumstances, the best time to visit Yellowstone is late August/early September.
NRLayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape 5.0 T.A.
At Yellowstone, I’d stay at Bridge Bay Campground and take a day trip to Cody to visit Kanye. Just kidding. The Buffalo Bill Center in Cody is top notch. Then I’d drive to Colter Bay Campground at GTNP. Request a campsite on the O loop because you’d have trail access to the lake right from your campsite. I highly recommend walking to the lake at sunrise and snapping photos of the Tetons.
Erik65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Don
We’ve experienced weather like the one you described several times in the west over the years. A fair percentage of Escape owners have remarked that they find taking in and deploying the awning is a hassle.
Whenever we leave the Escape, sometimes even staying in the campground, we take the awning in. We are pretty fast at it, probably from repeated practice. So that’s what we do. Usually at night too.
I always feel bad to see perfectly good equipment ruined by freaky weather especially when it could have been prevented.
Showed my two year old grandson my video of Big Boy on the U P trackage south of us. We watched it over and over. He got an electric train for Christmas. Gotta start them early.
Iowa Dave

Let's see, how do I respond to Dave, and still be within the bounds of the original poster's title. Ahah!

Union Pacific RR actually was instrumental in putting Yellowstone NP on the national map. They constructed a branch line from southern Idaho to W.Yellowstone, just outside the west entrance to the park. https://museumoftheyellowstone.org/trains

On our last trip to Wyoming and Montana, we went up I-15 out of Pocatello. At Idaho Falls, we moved over to US-20 and followed the UP rails to Ashton, which is, I believe, end of track, now. We continued along US-20 (very generally the path of the rails) over the continental divide at Targhee pass (7022') to W.Yellowstone KOA. Then enjoyed a few days of day visits to various parts of the National Park, and museums and other sites in W. Yellowstone, and even a day down along the Snake River to the Grand Tetons.

There are those great videos of UP's Big Boy #4014 and UP #844 on their trip to Ogden for the Golden Spike 150 year celebration (and other trips around the U.S.) I'm kind of glad we didn't try to go, based on the variable May weather all the fans endured across Wyoming. I have to wear a coat when I watch the videos.

P.S. That's how I started my affair with trains. My dad set up his 30's era Lionel train around the Xmas tree when I was 5, and lo and behold, I go a Lionel train set of my own for Xmas.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:14 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Don
I knew you could do it. I understand the new secretary of Transportation is a train guy. Amtrack. My daughter is a big fan and took it several times from Salt Lake City to Mount Pleasant, Iowa. Home of the Old Settlers and Threshers Reunion over Labor Day weekend.
Iowa Dave